Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Tom Jones should go to The apalachia Mountains and help his white brothers out of their poverty,no electricy, no cars, crime , and drug use, maybe he would feel some guilt about how the white mans education, technological marvels, and superiority has made him turned his back on his own kind
So are we agreed that there is no "white privilege" in Appalachia?

And yes, that picture of West Africa is very nice (clean though not a beautiful city to me architecturally), but I could easily counter with hundreds of pictures of scenes in the rest of Africa that are quite ugly and horrific. Rwanda, Darfur, Uganda, Somalia, Kenya, Nigeria, lead poisoning in Zambian mining towns, child soldiers in the Congo and more. And this has been going on for many decades and it's not the fault of evil whitey.

IRIN Africa | Southern Africa | Zambia | ZAMBIA: Lead poisoning concern in mining town | Other | Feature
IRIN | In-depth | Child soldiers | AFRICA: Too small to be fighting in anyone's war

Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'm very sure. Look at how well the British did with their colonist policies. White people basically has had all the advanced engineering and technologies for the last few hundred years. White people had guns and cannons. The Chinese only used gun powder for fireworks. Then in the last few decades, other cultures have caught up by putting effort into getting their children a top notch education, like those from India and the other Asian countries. And a lack of decent education is what's holding back the blacks in the US and Africa. But it's not the white man's fault that blacks don't value higher education imo.

And you really can't consider those African American slaves "free labor", they still had to be housed, clothed and fed. And Americans used the Chinese as cheap labor for building the Western sections of the railroad. So had there not been African slaves, cheap labour would have come from other countries such as Asia and even South America...
LOL!!!WTF planet are you on? You MUST be a troll or the dumbest racist of all time.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So are we agreed that there is no "white privilege" in Appalachia?

And yes, that picture of West Africa is very nice (clean though not a beautiful city to me architecturally), but I could easily counter with hundreds of pictures of scenes in the rest of Africa that are quite ugly and horrific. Rwanda, Darfur, Uganda, Somalia, Kenya, Nigeria, lead poisoning in Zambian mining towns, child soldiers in the Congo and more. And this has been going on for many decades and it's not the fault of evil whitey.

IRIN Africa | Southern Africa | Zambia | ZAMBIA: Lead poisoning concern in mining town | Other | Feature
IRIN | In-depth | Child soldiers | AFRICA: Too small to be fighting in anyone's war
The United Nations focuses on those problems on a global scale not just in Africa.
I bet a white person from Appalachia could go to New York and Hail a Cab before a Black New Yorker could.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Of course white privilege exists.
It still has its limits though.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM

26 posts, read 19,095 times
Quote:
I bet a white person from Appalachia could go to New York and Hail a Cab before a Black New Yorker could.
Yeah, but that's not White Privileged.

Even Black New York cab drivers will admit they'll pick up a White person before a Black because they are less likely to be stiffed or robbed. There was an entire 20/20 special on this.

That's not White privilege, just because Blacks are more likely to act like themselves doesn't make it White privilege. Especially when Black cab drivers will readily admit they won't pick up their own when they have a higher chance of being stabbed, robbed, or in the least case -- tipped less.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times
I would just say there is a double standard in this country when it comes to race. How many times do you see Black comedians attack white people and make fun. Now if a white guy said anything near that they would have protests and the person would be shunned by the public. The same attitude is applied for rap and it's lyrics. I have heard countless artists say white people can't repeat their lyrics because it's wrong and we don't understand the background. Okay I wonder if they would be so eager to give up a huge number of their sales when white people don't buy their album. There is an outcry saying they are treated poorly for their skin, then they go out and act like those the accuse. Pot meet Kettle.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Not one of those toothless meth or crack addicts from Appalachia... Of course, one common stereotype about blacks is that they don't tip... so most waiters and cabbies aren't going to be thrilled about having a customer that doesn't tip them, no matter what colour their skin is.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
America is the Homeland of African Americans, Black people have more in common with white people in America than they have with Africans,
Gotta give you a rep for this statement. The vast majority of white Americans are aware of this, but a few, like some posters on this thread, would rather eat their own children than admit to this fact. African-Americans and white Americans are more alike than they are dislike. This fact is--and always has been--a problem for the financial elite, hence the necessity to foster a tribalist mentality among the masses of Americans. If groups of citizens of the same country truly believe that they are different, they are less like to form political alliances, therefore making the population more easy to control.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones1980 View Post
Even Black New York cab drivers will admit they'll pick up a White person before a Black because they are less likely to be stiffed or robbed. There was an entire 20/20 special on this.
I'll tell you the reasons for this:
- Stereotypes created by TV and Hollywood:
Constantly people are fed with the idea that people that are dark or black are bad people and people that are white with blue eyes are good or the heroes.
That's why as soon as people see a neighborhood with a lot of dark people they think is a bad neighborhood.

- Racist history of the US:
Black people tend to be poorer because for many decades they've been denied opportunities to own land, get an education, start a business, etc.
Yes, today racism is not so bad, but if you are raised by a poor family in a bad neighborhood it's very likely that you'll never go to college.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I would just say there is a double standard in this country when it comes to race. How many times do you see Black comedians attack white people and make fun. Now if a white guy said anything near that they would have protests and the person would be shunned by the public. The same attitude is applied for rap and it's lyrics. I have heard countless artists say white people can't repeat their lyrics because it's wrong and we don't understand the background. Okay I wonder if they would be so eager to give up a huge number of their sales when white people don't buy their album. There is an outcry saying they are treated poorly for their skin, then they go out and act like those the accuse. Pot meet Kettle.
I totally agree. Lets eliminate ALL forms of racism if we trully want to strive for a color-blind society that's equal for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies