Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I work for a large financial company and some of the African American co-workers seem to take pride in not wanting to speak like everybody else, I have heard words like "Baby Daddy" or terms like "Keepin it real". Actually, last night, there was an AA attorney on TV that used the term "Keeping it real" and no offense, but it just sounded so ignorant and unprofessional.

I do not mean to stereotype but I notice that a lot of minorities(including Hispanics and Asians) seem to take pride in bringing this "ghetto" language to the workplace. it is so incredibly inappropriate! Why can't everybody just speak normal, proper English?
I work over the phone at my job, the white rednecks down south are just as bad. Where's the critism of their speech patterns?

And don't get me started on some Brits...

Old 02-21-2009, 04:05 AM

26 posts, read 19,086 times
Quote:
I work for a large financial company and some of the African American co-workers seem to take pride in not wanting to speak like everybody else, I have heard words like "Baby Daddy" or terms like "Keepin it real". Actually, last night, there was an AA attorney on TV that used the term "Keeping it real" and no offense, but it just sounded so ignorant and unprofessional.
I had a Black co-worker who would sleep on the clock. I told him to knock it off and he couldn't figure out what the difference was between browsing the internet or sleeping during downtime.

The work ethic, or lack there of, is embarrassing. Also, being 'on time' means 20 minutes late.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:

I do not mean to stereotype but I notice that a lot of minorities(including Hispanics and Asians) seem to take pride in bringing this "ghetto" language to the workplace. it is so incredibly inappropriate! Why can't everybody just speak normal, proper English?
You may not mean to stereotype, but you are. Throuought my career I have seen unprofessional and ignorant behavior from all types of people in the workplace including white people. At one company I worked for that served lunch everyday, a VP who was white proceeded to eat out of the salad bowl in the lunch line with her bare hands. Unprofessional & crass? Yes - espically for someone at her level. Does it mean that I can or should assume that most or all whites in the workplace would do something similar? No! Why can't everyone just act pofessional?

Old 02-21-2009, 07:21 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
This is a bunch of Liberal BS. My parents immigrated to this country back in the 80's and ethnically I am Portuguese/Lebanese. I guess, I could be best described as "Hispanic" looking, however I have never thought of myself as being a "minority". As far as I know, I am not White, however I never quite understood why a "non-White" person is expected to act differently or not share the same culture as the majority.

I still do not understand why Blacks, Hispanics and other minorities have to talk differently, have their own food, their own "subculture" and everybody else is supposed to be sensitive to their ways. Especially with African Americans, I notice that they need to do just about everything their own way,even when they are in a corporate environment. WHY? Why the hell can't we all just be Americans, with a common culture? I went to college, received my MBA and I never thought of myself as being different and/or needing a "special program" in order to succeed. This author is probably another Liberal pseudo intelectual who says "diversity" every other word. Pure garbage!
The 80's ?, you mean 1980? all the heavy lifting was done by then my friend for dark skin people, That's why things seemed so easy for your parents. Most African Americans you see under the age of 40 maybe the first generation to live in a society were institutional segregation was not the law. There was a whole generation of black people who were born free, graduated from Harvard, studied in Berlin, worked as ambassadors, were recieved cordialy by foreign Nations, but down south there was no law to prevent them from being hanged , white people vent their frustration over the way African Americans talk, dress, and, conduct themself,IMO black people and white people don't know how to Judge character in each other so we look for superficial things to make decisions about each other

Old 02-21-2009, 07:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
And the last I looked this thread was about speaking spanish.
Im not gonna look through all the post to find when it was hijacked to black American speech.
Thats trivial. Many a black American speaks perfect English with not a trace of poor grammar. That I should be so lucky.
I have several black American women who work for me and their speech is flawless and no idioms nor colloquialisms mixed in.

But the thread was a bout Spanglish wasnt it.

How about I and my fellow black Americans just dont want to speak spanish.

oops my bad.................but I still like what is written so there ya go

Last edited by Convert 54; 02-21-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: oops my bad

Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
You may not mean to stereotype, but you are. Throuought my career I have seen unprofessional and ignorant behavior from all types of people in the workplace including white people.
You are absolutely right and reading your post made me realize that for some reason, it seems like when a Black person does something like this, we are so ready to judge (including myself) but if a White person does the same, it is almost like it is not as bad, which is absolutely wrong! I still do not agree with the author but reading your stuff made me realize that this is a very COMPLEX issue and maybe I should be a bit more sensitive. On the other hand, I do not believe in brainwashing people to believe that they are "different", so that they start doing everything their own way and also they think they are entitled to special treatment because they are "different", that is ludicrous in my opinion! I have never categorized myself as a ________- American and I do not see a need for such stupid labels. Democrats and Liberals love this hyphenated American crap so that they can all be treated like victims.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
I don't like anyone who can't speak intelligble English, excepting immigrants of course. I think it is disgusting for any American, black, white or purple with pink polka dots to talk like their mouth is full of crap. It lowers them many pegs in my eyes.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
There's nothing you yourself should feel a responsibility to do but for your own volition. But all you should do is keep treating people as you would want to be treated.

The problem is, no one does that.
They DON'T?.....you're reading one now who does. I know plenty of others, too... (not a LOT of them, but quite a few), who make great effort to treat others as THEY would like, to give others the benefit of the doubt (assuming there IS doubt), and to go MORE than halfway toward understanding the 'other guy'.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:13 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
First of all you have to find the root of racism,
I believe TV and Hollywood have a lot to do with it,
am I the only one that has noticed that Disney heroes almost always have blue eyes?

Good point. Disney's mice, chipmunks, ducks, talking cars AND mentally-challenged dogs DO look a little like blue-eyed whites. That gives blue-eyed whites an OBVIOUS advantage over brown-eyed whites, OR non-whites...(not sure how blue-eyed minorities fit in, though).

There WAS a lion a few years ago, in a cartoon movie, who was a 'leader', and whose voice sounded VERY much like a powerful, dignified Black guy. Not sure if this was 'Disney' or not, though. I remember a Mexican mouse, too...(whether the mouse was a citizen or not, was never made clear)..(?)

By the way, the photo you sent was taken from the movie "Cars". Are you also aware that one of the heroes of "Cars" was a talking tow-truck? He ('it') was OBVIOUSLY modeled after a stereotypical, ignorant Southern White "bumpkin", right down to the sagging 'shocks', the rusty crane, and the prominent 'buck teeth' in his front grille. Not sure if whites should be outraged by this or not...(he was BROWN and RUSTY in the movie, but obviously, culturally, he was a "southern white" tow truck....Probably a 'racist' tow truck, too, if you want my opinion...Don't recall his eye color)....

Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There WAS a lion a few years ago, in a cartoon movie, who was a 'leader', and whose voice sounded VERY much like a powerful, dignified Black guy.
You mean "The Lion King." The original leader, Mufasa was voiced by James Earl Jones. Ironically, he was assassinated nearly halfway through the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies