Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You are absolutely right and reading your post made me realize that for some reason, it seems like when a Black person does something like this, we are so ready to judge (including myself) but if a White person does the same, it is almost like it is not as bad, which is absolutely wrong! I still do not agree with the author but reading your stuff made me realize that this is a very COMPLEX issue and maybe I should be a bit more sensitive. On the other hand, I do not believe in brainwashing people to believe that they are "different", so that they start doing everything their own way and also they think they are entitled to special treatment because they are "different", that is ludicrous in my opinion! I have never categorized myself as a ________- American and I do not see a need for such stupid labels. Democrats and Liberals love this hyphenated American crap so that they can all be treated like victims.
Good post. Sounds a little like my position. Coming from an interracial marriage in a multi-ethnic family, and living in a highly diverse area, I can tell you that if anything "kills" us it will be thinking of ourselves as "groups" rather than as individuals. If you and I are 'getting along', it does NO GOOD to dwell on the many ways our two "groups" are in conflict. I can't speak for MY group, and you can't speak for yours. We can each speak for ourselves...and that's where our responsibility lies.

We dabble in 'group debates' such as this thread, ONLY at our peril. The past is unchangeable. The present we can influence. Life is brief....then we die.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
You mean "The Lion King." The original leader, Mufasa was voiced by James Earl Jones. Ironically, he was assassinated nearly halfway through the movie.
That figures.....

PS...doesn't James Earl Jones have have blue eyes? Seems like they're blue, or light hazel...(?)

Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I've recently discovered the writings of Tim Wise, I think this excerpt from a recent blog post is brilliant:

Mod cut-copyright Please click on link for rest of quote

Source: Explaining White Privilege to the Deniers and the Haters | Red Room

Not a Dem or Republican here. However, go into any Federal, State, City or County Office....it is filled with so-called minorities working there and don't think of asking for assistance. I am so sick of this "race" card cr**. There are more opportunities for minorities today then there ever was. So as far as these writings and whinings.........

Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You are absolutely right and reading your post made me realize that for some reason, it seems like when a Black person does something like this, we are so ready to judge (including myself) but if a White person does the same, it is almost like it is not as bad, which is absolutely wrong! I still do not agree with the author but reading your stuff made me realize that this is a very COMPLEX issue and maybe I should be a bit more sensitive. On the other hand, I do not believe in brainwashing people to believe that they are "different", so that they start doing everything their own way and also they think they are entitled to special treatment because they are "different", that is ludicrous in my opinion! I have never categorized myself as a ________- American and I do not see a need for such stupid labels. Democrats and Liberals love this hyphenated American crap so that they can all be treated like victims.
The issue is indeed complex. I think the notion of "White Privledge" is related to that. Imagine if you, as a black person walked into an interview, fully prepared, qualified for the job, etc. but the person who is interviewing you can't get over those stereotypes - even though you don't exhibit those stereotypes. Does the person have a chance at that job? I'm going to guess no.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good post. Sounds a little like my position. Coming from an interracial marriage in a multi-ethnic family, and living in a highly diverse area, I can tell you that if anything "kills" us it will be thinking of ourselves as "groups" rather than as individuals. If you and I are 'getting along', it does NO GOOD to dwell on the many ways our two "groups" are in conflict. I can't speak for MY group, and you can't speak for yours. We can each speak for ourselves...and that's where our responsibility lies.

We dabble in 'group debates' such as this thread, ONLY at our peril. The past is unchangeable. The present we can influence. Life is brief....then we die.
You're correct, the past is unchangeable but it is also undeniable. The past influences the present and the future more than anything so having a true sense of our past is critical for our future prospects of success. Eric Holder made a "controversial" statement about race the other day that I give him great credit for. He told people what they don't want to hear. We all want to pretend everything's ok and just "move on" but many are cowards when discussing race. It takes big balls for someone in his position to say what he said. If you move past a problem without properly addressing it, it will most cretainly return. It's like drug use. You can quit and move on but without the proper treatment it comes back.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
You're correct, the past is unchangeable but it is also undeniable. The past influences the present and the future more than anything so having a true sense of our past is critical for our future prospects of success. Eric Holder made a "controversial" statement about race the other day that I give him great credit for. He told people what they don't want to hear. We all want to pretend everything's ok and just "move on" but many are cowards when discussing race. It takes big balls for someone in his position to say what he said. If you move past a problem without properly addressing it, it will most cretainly return. It's like drug use. You can quit and move on but without the proper treatment it comes back.
I'd like to see your ideas in action...but I may not live long enough. I'm more than willing to 'quit and move on'...I've been advocating that from day one. Then, when we all 'quit and move on', we'll be able to see if it 'comes back'. If it does, we can then treat it.

But it can't 'come back' until we 'move on'. Many of us have...(you probably don't see them on this forum, but they're there). Meanwhile, there are a few people whom I can't imagine will ever 'move on'.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'd like to see your ideas in action...but I may not live long enough. I'm more than willing to 'quit and move on'...I've been advocating that from day one. Then, when we all 'quit and move on', we'll be able to see if it 'comes back'. If it does, we can then treat it.

But it can't 'come back' until we 'move on'. Many of us have...(you probably don't see them on this forum, but they're there). Meanwhile, there are a few people whom I can't imagine will ever 'move on'.
So we should basically risk a generation by pretending that we've solved the problem. Just react to it if it comes back worst than before? It's the reason that Dr.'s make you complete all your antibiotics because if you don't the virus could mutate and kill you and racism is most certainly a virus. I'm sure our children would thank us for that. Why not build the foundation properly up front based on truth and honesty. That will be hard but more likely to be a lasting solution than the quick fix of simply "moving on" and crossing our fingers. You don't build a foundation with fantasy.

Kind of sounds like creating sustainable jobs vs. temporary tax cuts.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So we should basically risk a generation by pretending that we've solved the problem. Just react to it if it comes back worst than before? It's the reason that Dr.'s make you complete all your antibiotics because if you don't the virus could mutate and kill you and racism is most certainly a virus. I'm sure our children would thank us for that. Why not build the foundation properly up front based on truth and honesty. That will be hard but more likely to be a lasting solution than the quick fix of simply "moving on" and crossing our fingers. You don't build a foundation with fantasy.

Truth and honesty....good things. No argument here.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:15 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I think I like the idea of pretending too, I bring up historical information because I want the younger generation to stop waiting for a sign, Obama will one day be talked about like we refer to Crispus Attucks or Frederick Douglas, just another African American example, but not a fix. I had the "pleasure" of meeting the head of the KKK once during a small town television taping. I knew who he was and he knew I knew who he was. No we did'nt shake hands, but I said hello how are you and he said fine how are you. That might have been a epiphany because I knew guys who looked just like him stopped to help me on the road when I had car trouble and I never cared who they voted for,if they belive in interracial couples, abortion etc., I have worked in maximum security prisons and had a great time talking with someone who under a different set of circumstances could murder me an take my car and not think much about it. when I pass a young African American on the street who has his hat on sideways, pants waist at the middle of his thighs, gold teeth, and gold chains I simply say "Hey buddy,How you doing" generally he'll at least give me a nod. I just give people respect without them having to share my values,beliefs, or Ideas

Last edited by thriftylefty; 02-21-2009 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: punct.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:

Instead of putting so much energy in fighting racism, why not just make sure that the underprivileged get their act together to pursue a good education, become well spoken, raise their children properly and within a marriage, and a productive work life? Nothing fights a prejudice better than proving it wrong. It's futile to try to find a common ground and forge friendships and respect between any groups that have big differences in their lifestyles and values. As I've posted before, I would welcome black families like the Obamas into my neighborhood but not someone like Bobbi Brown, his new girlfriend/manager and their baby. But it's not about race, it's about not wanting trash people of any skin colour, including white trash living on my block. Who needs the drama?

Trash comes in all races and walks of life. I want no trash in my life.

And I can't help the fact that when anyone says "axe" instead of "ask" it makes my skin crawl. And I'm not a big fan of "ill" and "werd" either. Slang is not my thing. It's one thing to joke about it, but another if some talks like that all the time in real life. Yes, I know that it's elitest, but it's my personal choice not to have people like that as my friends. I have plenty of friends, and they have plenty of friends too... so what's the harm in my staying away from them? And if I owned a company and was hiring a receptionist, the person I hire is going to speak English properly since they will be fronting my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies