Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,406,429 times

Advertisements

Rubbish! I get sick of being thought of as privilege just because I'm white. Nothing was ever handed to me.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,508,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Rubbish! I get sick of being thought of as privilege just because I'm white. Nothing was ever handed to me.
Sounds like this COULD be the faintest beginnings of 'white rage'. I recommend a brisk walk....

Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,823,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
The point of the op is nothing was denied unfairly to you. Doesn't mean you didn't earn what you have.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,943,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I've recently discovered the writings of Tim Wise, I think this excerpt from a recent blog post is brilliant:

Mod cut-copyright Please click on link for rest of quote

Source: Explaining White Privilege to the Deniers and the Haters | Red Room
I am a white person who has faced tons of discrimination in my life so I fail to see the priviledge of my skin color.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,943,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Perhaps you have other flaws that counter the white privilege.

Seriously - it's not a valid argument to point to anecdotal evidence (you too, sweetclimber - your girlfriend's word isn't worth anything). Look at the statistics. Blacks have much higher unemployment rates in almost every region, and almost every sector. Blacks are almost absent at the top ranks of companies and institutions - that's why we celebrate the few who do make it.

I'll tell you my criterion for deciding that racism is over and affirmative action isn't needed. I have black kids, and I belong to a group for adoptive families with cultural differences. I'll know we've made it when the first black parents show up with a white kid.
That happened over 30 years ago when my black family adopted me.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones1980 View Post
I see a lot of non-sequitar but does anyone know an invention from a Black person educated in a Black-majority country in Africa
I find it funny that you have to narrow it down so much:
(1) a black person (2) educated in a black-majority country (3) in Africa.

I'll give you one in reply:
Does anyone know an invention from (1) a white person (2) educated in a white-majority country (3) From a country that didn't have colonies to allow them to be wealthy by using other people's money.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,508,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I find it funny that you have to narrow it down so much:
(1) a black person (2) educated in a black-majority country (3) in Africa.

I'll give you one in reply:
Does anyone know an invention from (1) a white person (2) educated in a white-majority country (3) From a country that didn't have colonies to allow them to be wealthy by using other people's money.
Trick question, Dopo. NOBODY, black or white, ever became wealthy WITHOUT using other people's money. That's how anyone becomes wealthy..by using other people's money...other people's ideas...other people's math...other people's science..etc etc

But good observation, anyway.

(PS This has become a RIDICULOUS argument...)

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 PM

3,017 posts, read 5,192,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones1980 View Post
America aside, why is it that the Black man has failed in every corner of the world in which they inhabit? Whether it be a majority-Black country in Africa or a Black minority in the United States or the U.K... this one group has contributed nothing in the form of science and technology to the modern world... I think it is a racial thing.

Somehow inconvenient truths are ignored rather than studied, hopelessly deadlocking any solution for decades.

See what on earth does this do to further the discussion at hand? You're quick to tell blacks to "work hard, live right, ignore discrimination and all will be well", but then you turn around with something like this. And FYI, blacks have always been an artistic people, a creative people, not necessarily known for technological innovation (no need). It's not an inferior collective aptitude. Just different.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
not necessarily known for technological innovation (no need).
The reason for that (that all republicans ignore) is that racial discrimination was so big in the US that it was a government policy in some states to not allow black people in colleges.

Imagine growing up as a kid with your own teachers telling you
"You are ........ so you know you are not smart enough to go to college to be ............"

Here's a list of "Historically black colleges"
African Americans - Education, Historically Black Colleges and Universities

Old 02-19-2009, 11:53 PM

3,017 posts, read 5,192,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The reason for that (that all republicans ignore) is that racial discrimination was so big in the US that it was a government policy in some states to not allow black people in colleges.

Imagine growing up as a kid with your own teachers telling you
"You are ........ so you know you are not smart enough to go to college to be ............"

Here's a list of "Historically black colleges"
African Americans - Education, Historically Black Colleges and Universities
Funny that these are some of the same teachers who will with the other side of their mouths "encourage" black students to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and to expect no special treatment.

They're also the same sad bunch who would even lament the very existence of HBCU's, citing that they're nothing more than an exercise in "self-segregation" and "reverse discrimination" (waa waa, why can't we have historically white colleges and universities, waa waa), while at the same time chiding black folks for not taking positive steps to encourage education in their own community.

I mean, man, it's just no winning with some folks; as if "winning" them over was important or even necessary in the first place, of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies