Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,274,648 times

Advertisements

When we switch over to country with mostly green cars that don't use gasoline, it makes sense to tax miles driven. We'll still need to pay for the roads we use. The way I understand it, the GPS they want to use won't track WHERE you go, just HOW FAR you drive in any given year. It won't be an additional tax, it will just be a way to switch taxes based on the amount of gas used to a system that includes electric cars. What is wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:32 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,206,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
When we switch over to country with mostly green cars that don't use gasoline, it makes sense to tax miles driven. We'll still need to pay for the roads we use. The way I understand it, the GPS they want to use won't track WHERE you go, just HOW FAR you drive in any given year. It won't be an additional tax, it will just be a way to switch taxes based on the amount of gas used to a system that includes electric cars.
yep.

and drivers should be paying more of their share of the roads as long as drivers want transit riders to pay all of our costs. if we can't be subsidized in your perfect world, then why should you?

arctichomesteader, i know that's true. it's quite sad the way we developed this country to revolve around the all mighty car!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,389,566 times
Quote:
When we switch over to country with mostly green cars that don't use gasoline, it makes sense to tax miles driven. We'll still need to pay for the roads we use. The way I understand it, the GPS they want to use won't track WHERE you go, just HOW FAR you drive in any given year. It won't be an additional tax, it will just be a way to switch taxes based on the amount of gas used to a system that includes electric cars. What is wrong with that?
Actually they could track you with the GPS device, regardless of what they're telling you to make you feel better about it.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,195,501 times
Quote:

It would be very easy to beat.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,389,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
arctichomesteader, i know that's true. it's quite sad the way we developed this country to revolve around the all mighty car!
Most of this country (by land area) is still rather rural. But the way the cities and suburbs have been built up centered around cars makes little sense.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,586,671 times
Don't any of you recognize sarcasm when you read it? I do not want any automotive or personal chip of any kind any where near me. I think a pay per mile travel tax is an absurdity. I also think a fuel tax is also a misbegotten form of sales tax. I think roads and other forms of transportation should be subsidized by a general progressive income tax.

BTW - there are already chips in most cars sold since about 2000. They are in the computer that controls the engine and transmission. Some are obvious like ON STAR but other are hidden in the operating system. I found this out because a neighbor works for insurance companies interrogating these computers after accidents. The drivers may lie but the computers remember the details of what the car was doing just before and during the accident.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,011,041 times
That will just make me rig up a bicycle to have a untracked government engine. Or use a horse-and-buggy, or hitch my dog up to a wagon...or walk....

Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,212,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Apparently, when the price of gasoline reached $4/gallon, and people started driving less, the revenue from the gas tax fell. The proposal for this additional tax is supposed to make up the difference, but of course, the gas tax will remain in place as well, so even if driving returns to the levels of a year ago, we will be paying far more for our driving.

This is another example of the outrageous intrusion that this administration is making in the private lives and habits of Americans. This must be fought with every ounce of energy we can muster.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,503,123 times
Quote:
More of an odometer linked to the DOT?

GPS = Global positioning system. Now I havent read anything else on this so did they use "GPS" themselves or what?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,304,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
yep.

and drivers should be paying more of their share of the roads as long as drivers want transit riders to pay all of our costs. if we can't be subsidized in your perfect world, then why should you?
Public transportation isn't subsidized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies