Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, please. It's EXACTLY this mentality that makes the future bleak. THE SYSTEM is broken. Mr. Hopen Change is just the most recent presider over it. The American People elected Bush because "he seemed sincere and they liked him." The American People elected Obama because "he represents change and they liked him." With apologies to The Who, "MEET THE NEW BOSS, SAME AS THE OLD BOSS." Neither Bush nor Obama have what it takes to change the way business is done.

That would take electing an eminent economist or some other expert in public administration and organization. (NO, not being a "community organizer.) But the good ole American People want someone who LOOKS and SOUNDS good. They don't care about qualifications.

That goes for Congress, too. The fact that a bubblehead like Pelosi heads the Congress, instead of someone with actual EXPERIENCE in economics or public administration, is the stuff of nightmares. ALL campaigns now require lots and lots of money and fund-raising, something that academics and other people with real brains aren't charismatic and "cute" enough to pull off. Plus, by the time the politicians are elected, they OWE all sorts of lobbyists, corporations, and sordid individuals who got them where they are. So much for working for the American people.

Ron Paul was about the only candidate who had the experience we need to change how government works and fix broken structures. It made me angry how the GOP dissed him and I soon sadly reconciled myself to the fact that he had no chance so I supported Hillary. Hell's bells, by the time most of the country gets the chance to vote, the candidates have already been decided. It drove the politicians and media NUTS that the Dem. nominee wasn't decided by March. If THAT isn't a major symptom of a broken system, I don't know what is!

If our only hope lies in an unqualified individual who doesn't know crap about economics, finance and business, we're in deep trouble. And if the American People don't start trying to elevate really qualified people to public office and tell the political parties that we're not playing their games anymore, then we only have ourselves to blame.
Hm... well apparently our economist know jack either.. because if they do we wouldn't be in this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
"Ron Paul was about the only candidate who had the experience we need to change how government works and fix broken structures."

Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Please, do not take this as a pessimistic view but I am usually a very positive person. I simply do not recognize this country anymore. Although I am sorry for blaming Obama for all the bad things that are happening, what he has done in the last 2 weeks has truly angered me.

How can he spend all this money and expect us to be able to catch up with the current fiscal deficit? I have finally found a permanent job after 6 months, I am currently underemployed and very frustrated. I have many years of experience in finance, I hold a MBA and I am working a job that does not even require a college degree.

My investments are down 44% this year and I was invested mainly in conservative index funds. I have a business plan ready to go and I can't move on with it because there is no credit available and/or the current economic situation would not allow me to be successful, even though I have a sound business plan.

I am glad I do not own a home and do not see any logical reason for owning a home anytime soon, honestly, it seems like it would be a very stupid investment right now. I feel like all those things that motivated me to wake up early in the morning for the last 10 years are long gone and not coming back, I have lived by rules, done everything right YET I do not see any reason to continue.

It seems to me that I have lost total faith in this system and once that faith is gone, I do not see how an economic system will ever be able to function the way it is supposed to function. Most of the investors I know are completely LOST and SCARED, they do not even know what to do with their money anymore. I am sorry to sound pessimistic but I see absolutely no reason or incentive to continue, I think the American dream is OVER!

1) The abuses haven't just been been rampant for 8 years, they've been around a while. They are entrenched deeply in corporate America. The "advisers" surrounding Obama have been key players in this for a long time.This didnt just happen under Dubya, its been ongoing for a long time. It has, however, exploded under Dubya

2) To rebound, Americans are going to have to work together for the betterment of the country. All this Rush Limbaugh "hoping Obama fails" garbage only keeps us mired in a Depression (not a recession, a Depression)

3) For those blue chip corporations that have felt the heat and seen their stock prices fall into an abyss with all the others, NOW is the time to REALLY invest in them. For every low point, there is also an opportunity somewhere. It's an investors market.

4) Speculators and real estate types purposely inflated real estate markets for years, making tons of money but also shelling out loans on property grossly overvalued (as well as being resold for inflated profts) The bubble has burst, prices have stabilized, and now is a good time to buy. Take advantage of this opportunity if you are considering purchasing a home, which everyone should consider if they can. Prices are even lower than market value in many areas.

We are in a free fall and it aint gonna be easy getting out, however, look for opportunity because its out there.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, please. It's EXACTLY this mentality that makes the future bleak. THE SYSTEM is broken. Mr. Hopen Change is just the most recent presider over it. The American People elected Bush because "he seemed sincere and they liked him." The American People elected Obama because "he represents change and they liked him." With apologies to The Who, "MEET THE NEW BOSS, SAME AS THE OLD BOSS." Neither Bush nor Obama have what it takes to change the way business is done.

The American people didnt elect Bush, the Supreme Court selected Bush.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Right. BOTH times? Sorry, but if the American People had voted with ANY intelligence, it wouldn't have been even remotely close enough for the Supreme Court to resolve the election. I wasn't thrilled with Gore but, since Bush was my guv., I knew darn well that he had no business being president and I was shocked when he won.

And my theory is that a whole bunch of you relentless Bush-bashers voted for him AT LEAST once and that secret shame of it makes y'all heighten the rhetoric about him here. Sad that the whole country has to suffer because a "likable" President is more important to the millions than a competent Prez who's actually READY for the prime time.

I don't lay all of the problems at Bush's feet -- it's the American People's fault. Everyone who meets the minimal criteria can run for Prez but it doesn't mean they are QUALIFIED and SHOULD be elected. If incompetents are, it's no one's fault but the American People. That's where the responsibility begins and ends.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:38 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Please, do not take this as a pessimistic view but I am usually a very positive person. I simply do not recognize this country anymore. Although I am sorry for blaming Obama for all the bad things that are happening, what he has done in the last 2 weeks has truly angered me.

How can he spend all this money and expect us to be able to catch up with the current fiscal deficit? I have finally found a permanent job after 6 months, I am currently underemployed and very frustrated. I have many years of experience in finance, I hold a MBA and I am working a job that does not even require a college degree.

My investments are down 44% this year and I was invested mainly in conservative index funds. I have a business plan ready to go and I can't move on with it because there is no credit available and/or the current economic situation would not allow me to be successful, even though I have a sound business plan.

I am glad I do not own a home and do not see any logical reason for owning a home anytime soon, honestly, it seems like it would be a very stupid investment right now. I feel like all those things that motivated me to wake up early in the morning for the last 10 years are long gone and not coming back, I have lived by rules, done everything right YET I do not see any reason to continue.

It seems to me that I have lost total faith in this system and once that faith is gone, I do not see how an economic system will ever be able to function the way it is supposed to function. Most of the investors I know are completely LOST and SCARED, they do not even know what to do with their money anymore. I am sorry to sound pessimistic but I see absolutely no reason or incentive to continue, I think the American dream is OVER!
Although I did not vote for President Obama, you can't blame this mess on him; it was handed to him. Two or three weeks into his administration can hardly be enough time to throw this at his feet.

Now, what he does in the coming months/years should be scrutinized, just as any President should be scrutinized.

If you really want to blame the Democrats, look no further than Congress, although the Republicans in Congress are little if no better than the Democrats in my opinion.

I voted Libertarian and wish that most others would have also.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Time to move on, if you can't, call the waaaaaaaaaahhhhhbulance:cr ying:

I agree with the OP about losing faith. However, I have lost faith in the 2 party system. All the crazy government spending by both parties is killing America. Don't any of these politicians ever think about the next generations?

Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Politicians have been ruining this country for the last 90 years. It doesn't matter if they have an R or a D next to their name, both parties are guilty. If you seriously think the current crop is any better than the last, then you are just being a party homer. They need to all be sent home, and take their pet projects with them.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Hm... well apparently our economist know jack either.. because if they do we wouldn't be in this mess.
Then you are not following the right economists..several have been warning of this since 2006. If you listened to them you would have had time to protect your assets.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Politicians have been ruining this country for the last 90 years. It doesn't matter if they have an R or a D next to their name, both parties are guilty. If you seriously think the current crop is any better than the last, then you are just being a party homer. They need to all be sent home, and take their pet projects with them.
I disagree. The bankers have been ruling the country and the politicians and corporate CEO's are their pawns.

He who owns the money makes the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies