Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM

230 posts, read 583,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88c View Post
IMO, this is all a matter of point of view...let's see...
I am an Asian-American (parents were born in Taiwan) who was born in Maryland and spent my childhood in different areas of the North and my adolescence in Virginia. Obviously, I grew up naively learning that the Civil War was purely based on slavery based on the simplistic definition in history books in the North, but upon coming down South, I've learned differently.

Honestly, both sides had a point. The South was right in seceding because the Union was comprised of a confederacy of states...in no way should the federal power have superseded the power of the states, as the federal government's power came from the states. I've spent a LOT of time arguing this point with my college hallmates (I am back in the North in Philadelphia for college), as well as things such as the Confederate flag, which many see as being as atrocious as a swastika.

The North on the other hand, was right in trying to keep the nation together...it kept the nation much stronger than it would've been. However, did they use excessive force? Yes, indeed, they did. Think of it this way. Had the North considered the South as their brother and trying to bring them back in the fold, why would they use excessive force? You simply would not do that to part of your country. Under that methodology, do you really think the North considered the South part of the country?

Other points...

1. I agree that the CSA flag certainly does NOT represent the KKK or racism on a whole. It may in some areas, but that is not what the flag embodies.
2. I do think the Confederate flag is representative of the different culture and lifestyle that exists down South. I have honestly learned to love and cherish the more laid back, relaxed, respectful, and generous way of life down here. To be frank, the people down South are a lot nicer on a whole.
Strangers are willing to give you a hand...etc.
3. Do I find the flag offensive? Certainly not. It simply represents a different culture and heritage from the country on a whole. It is not rebellious anymore, but simply upholding different values.
4. Would I hang a Confederate flag personally? I don't have the heritage or the blood so that makes it seem sort of odd, but I do see the South playing as much as an influence on my life as say, Taiwan. In that sense, I really do respect the CSA flag.
You seem to have a very naive perspective. I'll forgive you for that because you and your family haven't lived here long enough to experience first hand and generationally what that flag had meant to most Americans for hundreds of years. For example, were your ancestors slaves in this country? No. So of course for you the flag doesn't affect you the same. Were your ancestors hung by the neck or had their homes burned to the ground while the confederate flag wad brilliantly displayed in the background? No. Did your ancestors live in the south with Jim Crow laws? No. So just because you read a few books and lived in the south for awhile doesn't mean you know Jack about what the flag has really come to symbolize. I'll bet that you don't even realize that not only did the flag come to symbolize hate toward blacks, Jews, Catholics it also included hatred toward ASIANS and still does. Asians in this country were run out of towns in the south whenever their businesses cut into the prosperity of white southerners. They were hung too with the flag waving in the background somewhere or the flag was carried while the murderers galloped away on horses. Yes, you are very naive dear.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Why do people think its so bad?

I for one think its kinda tacky to have a big one on the back of yer car. But I think for museums and stuff its fine.
It is part of U.S. history so why not have it in Museums? I don't understand why some one would protest that?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88c View Post
The North on the other hand, was right in trying to keep the nation together...it kept the nation much stronger than it would've been. However, did they use excessive force? Yes, indeed, they did. Think of it this way. Had the North considered the South as their brother and trying to bring them back in the fold, why would they use excessive force? You simply would not do that to part of your country. Under that methodology, do you really think the North considered the South part of the country?

You are not acknowledging the very liberal terms applied to the former Confederate states, and towards CSA soldiers and officers, after the war ended. Lincoln was very far from vengeful in his policies toward the post-war South. He had waged war basically as imposing "regime change" on the politics of the southern states.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 01-09-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You seem not to want to acknowledge the role of South Carolina and its politicians in bringing about the Civil War.
I do acknowledge the role SC played. South Carolina sought secession, not war.

Quote:
Even today, some of the most rabid crypto-Confederates are found there.
I don't think anybody is crypto down there. If you ask, people will tell you exactly what they think about the subject.

And how can someone be rabidly crypto? Is that like being conspicuously inconspicuous?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM

rabidly crypto

Very active and intensely held beliefs, but in secret

Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I do acknowledge the role SC played. South Carolina sought secession, not war.

Right! How about walking around in Congress beating other members with canes over a perceived verbal slight! The South was a completely pugilistic culture at that time. They were busting their buttons for a fight. They started the shooting and look what came of it.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
rabidly crypto

Then how do you know?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
rabidly crypto

I'm trying to picture this, you know, in action. People who are active and enthusiastic about modern day secession in SC, but keep their beliefs secret...

Who are we talking about? Are these people you know personally, or are you just generalizing how you perceive South Carolina to be? I'm guessing this is based on something that happened at least 20 years ago, and probably involves race and politics. Am I getting warm?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Then how do you know?
Use the internet.

For example, see the recent political downfall of Virginia U.S. Senator George Allen, you know, the guy who kept a noose on the wall in his office:
Sons Of Confederate Veterans Blast Sen. George Allen - News Story - WRC | Washington
Beyond Macaca: The Photograph That Haunts George Allen

Ever heard of the Council of Conservative Citizens?
Council of Conservative Citizens
Council of Conservative Citizens -- Extremism in America

Last edited by ParkTwain; 01-09-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
It is the battle flag of the Confederacy and is associated with a military attack on the USA and the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans. The attack on Ft Sumpter was much worse than 9/11. It is also closely related with ennumerable lynchings. It is an emblem of hatred and murder and terrorism. Those who display it are endorsing its negative messages. People went nutso over the Mexican flag being flown in the USA; at least it isnt an enemy flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies