Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You are not acknowledging the very liberal terms applied to the former Confederate states, and towards CSA soldiers and officers, after the war ended. Lincoln was very far from vengeful in his policies toward the post-war South. He had waged war basically as imposing "regime change" on the politics of the southern states.
You are not acknowledging that Lincoln had very little to do with policies toward the post-war South.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
You are not acknowledging that Lincoln had very little to do with policies toward the post-war South.

I'm talking about Lincoln's stated policies. His death cut short, obviously, his ability to put some of them into practice!

You think that Lincoln's successor Johnson produced vast changes in Lincoln's original policies? Such as?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
You seem to have a very naive perspective. I'll forgive you for that because you and your family haven't lived here long enough to experience first hand and generationally what that flag had meant to most Americans for hundreds of years. For example, were your ancestors slaves in this country? No. So of course for you the flag doesn't affect you the same. Were your ancestors hung by the neck or had their homes burned to the ground while the confederate flag wad brilliantly displayed in the background? No. Did your ancestors live in the south with Jim Crow laws? No. So just because you read a few books and lived in the south for awhile doesn't mean you know Jack about what the flag has really come to symbolize. I'll bet that you don't even realize that not only did the flag come to symbolize hate toward blacks, Jews, Catholics it also included hatred toward ASIANS and still does. Asians in this country were run out of towns in the south whenever their businesses cut into the prosperity of white southerners. They were hung too with the flag waving in the background somewhere or the flag was carried while the murderers galloped away on horses. Yes, you are very naive dear.
So you hate the American Flag too, right???

Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about Lincoln's stated policies. His death cut short, obviously, his ability to put some of them into practice!

You think that Lincoln's successor Johnson produced vast changes in Lincoln's original policies? Such as?
You think President Johnson had the ultimate say in how reconstruction went down??? Think again. Radical Republicans pushed their version of reconstruction through over vetoes from Johnson..... What Johnson wanted to occur was largely irrelevent. He wasn't calling the shots, Congress was.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Arrow Heritage not Hate

I believe the OP originally asked the question, "What's wrong with the Confederate Flag?"

I believe the reply most southerners will give is "heritage, not hate".

There are a number of different "confederate " flags out there but most folks only know about the Confederate Battle Flag.

Funny how this simple question caused so many to so far off topic.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Use the internet.

For example, see the recent political downfall of Virginia U.S. Senator George Allen, you know, the guy who kept a noose on the wall in his office:
Sons Of Confederate Veterans Blast Sen. George Allen - News Story - WRC | Washington
Beyond Macaca: The Photograph That Haunts George Allen

Ever heard of the Council of Conservative Citizens?
Council of Conservative Citizens
Council of Conservative Citizens -- Extremism in America
I don't need to use the internet; I live in South Carolina.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't need to use the internet; I live in South Carolina.

Touche, mon ami!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It is the battle flag of the Confederacy and is associated with a military attack on the USA and the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans. The attack on Ft Sumpter was much worse than 9/11.
Really?? No one died at Ft Sumter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston
It is also closely related with ennumerable lynchings. It is an emblem of hatred and murder and terrorism. Those who display it are endorsing its negative messages.
Such a sweeping generalization must be ignored. If you aren't willing to read the rest of the thread then there's no point in wasting breath. This has been discussed ad nauseum here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston
People went nutso over the Mexican flag being flown in the USA; at least it isnt an enemy flag.
Irrelevant and not entirely correct.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
It's funny, when I was in college I had a White male friend (I'm a Black female) who was from North Carolina. We were down in Daytona...and come winter time when it got a little chilly, he had this leather coat with a Confederate Flag embroidered on it. We were actually out shopping and he grabbed for it; then hesitated, then asked me, "If I wear this coat, will it offend you?". I thought it was a really considerate gesture, but I said, "No, of course not"...and I meant it.

Because I knew him and I knew he wasn't racist, I know that the Confederate flag thing was just a symbol of Southern pride (turns out, his Grandfather brought that coat for him as well). It's probably that way for a lot of people; and I do think that being from the South there are many things that you can be proud of. However the knee-jerk reaction that I get when seeing the Confederate flag being flown (or it's emblems and what not; like on trucks) is not positive; especially if I see it up here in the North. It's like you are trying to make some sort of statement...and some people are. An ugly statement.

But just by itself, no, I don't think that the Confederate flag is bad or needs to be banned. But if someone is going around like a racist nut and sporting the flag, the people who truly have Southern pride should stand up to these people who are giving their heritage a bad reputation.

Last edited by MissShona; 01-09-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
It's funny, when I was in college I had a White male friend (I'm a Black female) who was from North Carolina. We were down in Daytona...and come winter time when it got a little chilly, he had this leather coat with a Confederate Flag embroidered on it. We were actually out shopping and he grabbed for it; then hesitated, then asked me, "If I wear this coat, will it offend you?". I thought it was a really considerate gesture, but I said, "No, of course not"...and I meant it.

Because I knew him and I knew he wasn't racist, I know that the Confederate flag thing was just a symbol of Southern pride (turns out, his Grandfather brought that coat for him as well). It's probably that way for a lot of people; and I do think that being from the South there are many things that you can be proud of. However the knee-jerk reaction that I get when seeing the Confederate flag being flown (or it's emblems and what not; like on trucks) is not positive; especially if I see it up here in the North. It's like you are trying to make some sort of statement...and some people are. An ugly statement.

But just by itself, no, I don't thing that the Confederate flag is bad or needs to be banned. But if someone is going around like a racist nut and sporting the flag, the people who truly have Southern pride should stand up to these people who are giving their heritage a bad reputation.
There is really nothing more to say IMO....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies