Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:36 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont care if you fly it, but only for heritage reasons. I understand its part of the south's history, but is it a historical artifact to be proud of? IMO, no.

To me, this is just my opinion, it symbolizes rebellion, slavery, loss. Why fly a flag that symbolizes that? The south seceded because they thought they were being "oppressed" and they should govern themselves. But at the same time they oppressed an entire human race, treated them like animals.

News flash: Lee surrendered at Appomattox, you can retire the flag and go home now. LOL

As for James T, Im Scoth-Irish, and Id have to disagree with your statement that everyone of our descent should fly the Confederate battleflag just cuz of our heritage. Thats just a downright silly thing to say. You wont catch me EVER flying that flag (historical or not). In fact, most Irish-Scottish brigades fought for the NORTH. Mainly this was because of their immigration point NYC, but also because they FLEED IRELAND/SCOTLAND to ESCAPE from oppression (from England). They didnt come here to fight to oppress blacks in the form of slavery, that would be hypocritical. However, there were a few clueless Irish fighting for the south, why they did that, I dont know. LOL Oh yeah, one more thing, the British sided with the south during the Civil War, and if youre really as Scotch/Irish as you say you are, that should be reason enough alone to NEVER fly that flag. LOL

Your post about the South "oppressing an entire race" I definitely argue with. The largest slave trading port was in NYC. There was as much racism and hatred of blacks in the northern states before, during, and after the war as there was in the South.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
To me, this is just my opinion, it symbolizes rebellion, slavery, loss. Why fly a flag that symbolizes that?

News flash: Lee surrendered at Appomattox, you can retire the flag and go home now. LOL
Statements like that alone could be a good enough reason to fly the flag, just to annoy judgmental-sounding people like yourself.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-19-2007 at 02:02 PM..

Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Your post about the South "oppressing an entire race" I definitely argue with. The largest slave trading port was in NYC. There was as much racism and hatred of blacks in the northern states before, during, and after the war as there was in the South.
Yes. Also abolitionists in the North were so few and far between.

Most Northerners didn't care one way or the other about slavery. If you asked the average Union soldier what they were fighting for- they would tell you "To preserve the Union".

And Abraham Lincoln said the same thing.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:35 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
yes and the draft riots in New York City thousands of new yorkers took to the streets to lynch, burn and kill blacks and union officials, because of the civil war, they actually set a black childrens orphanage on fire.

and the hatred of blacks exists in the northern cities to this day from Boston, Philadelphia, New York and Detroit.

Its funny when northern blacks have problems with the northern whites as in the recent Cinncinati riots, then the northerners are racists, but when they argue on here, they only think the rebel flag of the southerners are racists.
If the south was so racist, why is it that there are militant black groups in the northerner cities complaining about police brutality, lack of housing, poor underfunded schools, busing, etc?

Nah, they just use rebel flag as a complaining point just as Hillary did, to get sympathy.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 PM

259 posts, read 939,229 times
Quote:
By CarolinaJack The Scots who were run out of scotland by the english, settled in Ulster Northern Ireland.
Strike one Carolina Not entirely true! England did not have control over Scotland until the Begining of the 19th century. It is a matter of fact. That the British lost the American revolution because they were preoccupied by Scotish invasions during the American Revolution. The King of England had to flee London several times before and after the American revolution because of Scotish military ventures.

Quote:
By Carolina They were different than the Irish of the Irish Republic in that they were Presbyterian Protestants while most Irish are Catholic.
Strike Two Carolina Not entirely true either! They were Puritians who were deported to Scotland by England. Scotland in turn deported these English Puritians to Ulster in the 17th century to re-claim Northern Ireland as Scotish Territory. Because the Scotish were the originally rulers of Ireland up until the 12th century.

Quote:
by Carolina but after the Irish Potato faminine of the 1840s when up to 2 million catholic Irish were coming to the US,
Strike Three Carolina your out!!!! Irish Catholics came to America long before the American Revolution. In matter of fact New York had several Irish Catholic Colonial Governors. And The New York Saint Patricks day parade was started in 1776 by an Irish Catholic Governor.

Quote:
By Jack yes and the draft riots in New York City thousands of new yorkers took to the streets
So What! You wasted money to see that terrible movie Gangs Of New York. Don't you ever forget! Scarlet O'Hara in Gone with The Wind was an ardent Irish Catholic!!! She was born in the South long before those Irish Union soliders got off the boats!!!!.

Last edited by Dee62; 03-20-2007 at 01:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,518 times
Quote:
As for James T, Im Scoth-Irish, and Id have to disagree with your statement that everyone of our descent should fly the Confederate battleflag just cuz of our heritage. Thats just a downright silly thing to say. You wont catch me EVER flying that flag (historical or not). In fact, most Irish-Scottish brigades fought for the NORTH. Mainly this was because of their immigration point NYC, but also because they FLEED IRELAND/SCOTLAND to ESCAPE from oppression (from England). They didnt come here to fight to oppress blacks in the form of slavery, that would be hypocritical. However, there were a few clueless Irish fighting for the south, why they did that, I dont know. LOL Oh yeah, one more thing, the British sided with the south during the Civil War, and if youre really as Scotch/Irish as you say you are, that should be reason enough alone to NEVER fly that flag. LOL
You're confusing the Scots-Irish with the Irish from Southern Ireland.

You may want to unconfuse your facts before issuing me advice on what I should think.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
anonymous, please read Irish History. The Scots who were run out of scotland by the english, settled in Ulster Northern Ireland. They were different than the Irish of the Irish Republic in that they were Presbyterian Protestants while most Irish are Catholic.

The Ulster Irish came to the US before the American revolution and settled in places like the cumberland region of the applachians, in western carolinas, Tennessee valley and they make up the largest population of White Europeans in the South today. People Like President Andrew Jackson are called originally Ulster Irish, but after the Irish Potato faminine of the 1840s when up to 2 million catholic Irish were coming to the US, the Ulster Irish wanted to distinquish themselves from the Catholic Irish and begain calling themselves "Scots-Irish". Look it up in a dictionary and history book
THANK YOU. I'm glad somebody has their facts in order.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
Strike one Carolina Not entirely true! England did not have control over Scotland until the Begining of the 19th century. It is a matter of fact. That the British lost the American revolution because they were preoccupied by Scotish invasions during the American Revolution. The King of England had to flee London several times before and after the American revolution because of Scotish military ventures.

Strike Two Carolina Not entirely true either! They were Puritians who were deported to Scotland by England. Scotland in turn deported these English Puritians to Ulster in the 17th century to re-claim Northern Ireland as Scotish Territory. Because the Scotish were the originally rulers of Ireland up until the 12th century.

Strike Three Carolina your out!!!! Irish Catholics came to America long before the American Revolution. In matter of fact New York had several Irish Catholic Colonial Governors. And The New York Saint Patricks day parade was started in 1776 by an Irish Catholic Governor.

So What! You wasted money to see that terrible movie Gangs Of New York. Don't you ever forget! Scarlet O'Hara in Gone with The Wind was an ardent Irish Catholic!!! She was born in the South long before those Irish Union soliders got off the boats!!!!.
Oh come on. Carolinajack was basically correct. You're just picking nits. The Scottish landed in Ulster, some took Irish wives and some did not, and they then came to the colonies across the Pacific. That's it basically.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:35 AM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Why do people think its so bad?

I for one think its kinda tacky to have a big one on the back of yer car. But I think for museums and stuff its fine.
Well just so you know in the black community it usually means you are a racists. To most blacks ignorant or not its the symbol of the KKK. Where I'm from its usually people from the sticks with low education, drives a pick-up, drinks a lot of beer and uses the "n" word a lot....

Old 03-20-2007, 05:39 AM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That's not entirely accurate.
Not all black people were slaves in the south before the war. There were even some black people wealthy enough to own slaves themselves. Most black people were probably slaves, and I believe a lot of the slaves were mistreated, but some weren't.
Never heard that one before. The definition of a slave is to be mistreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies