Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times

Advertisements

Why do people think its so bad?

I for one think its kinda tacky to have a big one on the back of yer car. But I think for museums and stuff its fine.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
They are fine, but at the right time and at the right place. Confederate flags belong in the south. I have no problem with S. Carolina flying them at the state house, it is part of their past and culture. My only qualm is when I see them here in Minnesota, especially in exurban Minneapolis. A yankee who supports the lost cause, what a farce.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:09 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I have never met ANYONE who thinks they are not O.K. in a museum. Our problem is with people that hang it on their house, pick-up truck, etc.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,053 times
I'm the proud owner of a Confederate Battleflag, as an homage to my Scots-Irish heritage, the Scots-Irish being instrumental in the fundamental construction of this nation and the spearhead of its manifest destiny.

The flag is derived from the St. Andrew's Cross, the national flag of Scotland:

Every man or woman of Scots-Irish heritage should own a Confederate Battleflag and fly it from time to time in honor of their Celtic heritage.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:03 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I'll admit, I've never quite understood the confederate flag thing (mostly do to my background, I have no family from the south and have rarely been there). I realize that this subject has and will be beaten to death over and over, but for some people it will always be a symbol of something other than bigotry and ignorance, for others it will never be.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
What's wrong with the Confederate Flag?

Nothing at all.

People should research the background and history of the Southern flags before they go spouting off personal bias's due to the reconstruction's indoctrination.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
I have seen people hanging them in their windows of their trailors using them as a curtain,no joke...to each his own,not a decorating trend that I would follow.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Why do people think its so bad?

I for one think its kinda tacky to have a big one on the back of yer car. But I think for museums and stuff its fine.
Too much Jerry Springer?
I think bad publicity for the flag is what made it popular (or at least contributed to making it popular) among white supremecists in modern times. And then because of the negative pubilicity, and consquent popularity among racist groups and sometimes individuals wanting to look like "bad-asses", it feeds off itself.

The reason I say this is although I'm only 25, I vividly remember my childhood, including the early 80's when the Dukes of Hazzard were popular. My first best friend had a Confederate flag-spangled (Dukes of Hazzard) plastic tricycle. I highly doubt that the flag raised many eyebrows when the show was on air, it wouldn't make sense for a prime time show to upset a lot of their viewers.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-19-2007 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
as a South Carolinian and black southerner, I dont have a problem with it in a museum, on historic grounds or on state property, I know it symbolizes heritage and history.

what i am even more perplexed by is that people think there is a problem with a person sticking a flag or a bumper sticker of a rebel flag on their personal vehicle. Do those same persons mind if the govt or others demand and make them take off a t shirt or button that is offensive to others, or how about banning earrings on men or tatoos, or al speech???

so those people think we should ban free expression on our private property?? that is scary and certainly not a state or country i want to live in--now the Red State Mentality makes more sense to me and conservativism the ONLY way to stop communist authoritarianism

Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I dont care if you fly it, but only for heritage reasons. I understand its part of the south's history, but is it a historical artifact to be proud of? IMO, no.

To me, this is just my opinion, it symbolizes rebellion, slavery, loss. Why fly a flag that symbolizes that? The south seceded because they thought they were being "oppressed" and they should govern themselves. But at the same time they oppressed an entire human race, treated them like animals.

News flash: Lee surrendered at Appomattox, you can retire the flag and go home now. LOL

As for James T, Im Scoth-Irish, and Id have to disagree with your statement that everyone of our descent should fly the Confederate battleflag just cuz of our heritage. Thats just a downright silly thing to say. You wont catch me EVER flying that flag (historical or not). In fact, most Irish-Scottish brigades fought for the NORTH. Mainly this was because of their immigration point NYC, but also because they FLEED IRELAND/SCOTLAND to ESCAPE from oppression (from England). They didnt come here to fight to oppress blacks in the form of slavery, that would be hypocritical. However, there were a few clueless Irish fighting for the south, why they did that, I dont know. LOL Oh yeah, one more thing, the British sided with the south during the Civil War, and if youre really as Scotch/Irish as you say you are, that should be reason enough alone to NEVER fly that flag. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies