Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Amazingly, if Eric Holder is right that "white America" is cowardly for not talking about race.... maybe it's because whites (and anyone else not black) cannot critique blacks without being accused of "wearing a white hood" just as you did in this thread.

Think about it. There isn't anything that wrong with what the posters above you stated. In fact, except for the "unreliable fathers" thing, which could have been stated a bit more artfully about TRUE rates of fatherlessness and single parent households which lies at the heart of much of black America's social problems.... it was pretty benign before you threw the racist brick at the "conversational window"...

Americans cowards? Maybe. Maybe they live in fear of being called racists. Black people don't want to talk "race" with white people who ACTUALLY have opinions that may be different from theirs, and they only liketo talk race with the self hating white kinds that will agree with them. They "shout" at everyone else.

Oh, and neither side ever really gives a damn about the "point of view" of the otherside.
Very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Eric Holder came into the AG's office with a cloud over his head from the Clinton administration. He won't be given a break by anyone. That being said ... what is he doing?????

Oh well, at least he didn't launch into "let the eeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaagle soooooooooooarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". And he's letting the b00bs of justice fly free.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:27 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Amazingly, if Eric Holder is right that "white America" is cowardly for not talking about race.... maybe it's because whites (and anyone else not black) cannot critique blacks without being accused of "wearing a white hood" just as you did in this thread.
Every year, in February, we attempt to recognize and to appreciate black history. It is a worthwhile endeavor for the contributions of African Americans to this great nation are numerous and significant. Even as we fight a war against terrorism, deal with the reality of electing an African American as our President for the first time and deal with the other significant issues of the day, the need to confront our racial past, and our racial present, and to understand the history of African people in this country, endures. One cannot truly understand America without understanding the historical experience of black people in this nation. Simply put, to get to the heart of this country one must examine its racial soul.

Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards. Though race related issues continue to occupy a significant portion of our political discussion, and though there remain many unresolved racial issues in this nation, we, average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race. It is an issue we have never been at ease with and given our nation’s history this is in some ways understandable. And yet, if we are to make progress in this area we must feel comfortable enough with one another, and tolerant enough of each other, to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us.

-- Eric Holder

Where did he mention "white America"? I don't see it. What ARE these critiques of blacks that you yourself feel intimidated against expressing? Would any of them be based on a perpetuation of hack stereotypes that you should long ago have grown out of? Does all the cowardice that Holder spoke of arise with respect to the issue of race itself, or does much of it arise from a legitimate fear of looking hopelessly lost and out of date as soon as one opens one's mouth? Something to ponder, there...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:27 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Doesn't matter what color you are if you call for ownership in minority communities. Look at Bill Cosby vilified for requesting ownership of problems you don't try at all to change. The left embraces this ideology because it allows them to paint the entire opposition as racist which is really odd considering what party people like Jim Crow belonged to.
Bill Cosby should definitely be careful not to get hit from the flying glass hit by the stones he's throwing. I don't recall him talking about his adulterous past in discussing those same ills in the black community as a whole.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Bill Cosby should definitely be careful not to get hit from the flying glass hit by the stones he's throwing. I don't recall him talking about his adulterous past in discussing those same ills in the black community as a whole.
Exactly. A successful minority talking about how unsuccessful minorities can get out of "he!!" and the first thing out of the people who most seem to want segregation is "Bill Cosby should definitely be careful not to get hit from the flying glass hit by the stones he's throwing."

I guess everything Clinton ever did should also be removed because of his adulatory?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Is there another nation more integrated?

I hope you don't ever expect for people to feel as a group when it's a group made up of over 100 different nationalities. Conflict is embedded in that program.

It's admirable to want total equality and no isms but highly unlikely. Even when integration is highly evolved the people still find comfort in being around people like themselves. Although I'm not a scientist I would think it may even possibly be instinct breed into us through survival tactics needed to end up where we are today.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Exactly. A successful minority talking about how unsuccessful minorities can get out of "he!!" and the first thing out of the people who most seem to want segregation is "Bill Cosby should definitely be careful not to get hit from the flying glass hit by the stones he's throwing."

I guess everything Clinton ever did should also be removed because of his adulatory?
Hmmm...not sure where you get the fact that I would want segregation based on my being critical of Bill Cosby. As I have said on these forums on more than one occasion, respectful dialoge about race issues is always welcomed. Unfortunately many on these forums are unwilling or unable to dialog in this manner.

Secondly, you bet if Clinton started preaching about broken homes, bing faithful and the importance of keeping the family together I would say the same thing about him.

No one ever says anything about Bill Cosby's issues because they think he has the answers to the black community's problems. Some of the things he spoke about are correct, but IMO he shouldn't try to be so high and mighty when he did some of the same things he is speaking out against.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I think Holder was right, but I think he was wrong to say it. Nobody really knows who he is, so he should have established a little credibility for himself first. But to challenge Americans right out of the gate? Dumb.
I agree. He could have also worded it entirely different if he had to bring the subject up at all.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Just to be a rabble-rouser I will throw in a few stupid opinions.

First, there will never be a real discussion of race in this country. The very idea that the discussion is only valid when one confines himself to an "acceptable" viewpoint makes it impossible. It is precisely the "racist", "bigoted", and "vitriolic" that this discussion needs to explore to have any hope of advancing people's ideas regarding race. From these "disgusting" views, we need to explore the small elements of truth that are contained within. Without allowing the underlying truths to be accepted their will never be a common ground of understanding between the two extremes.

Second, at the very heart of what is left of true racism, I believe, is a direct result of one group's resistance to conform. I am not saying that this is either good or bad per se, but that a groups continual insistance on pointing out it's uniqueness is precisely the recipe for others to treat them differently. If everything that you do is meant to point out how you are different from everyone else, don't feign surprise or anger when others view you and treat you as different or antagonistic.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter what color you are if you call for ownership in minority communities. Look at Bill Cosby vilified for requesting ownership of problems you don't try at all to change. The left embraces this ideology because it allows them to paint the entire opposition as racist which is really odd considering what party people like Jim Crow belonged to.
The problem I saw with Cosby was that his critiques were kinda narrow. He was focused on the results and not the underlying causes of problems in the Black community. The underlying cause of Black family breakdown is a lack of economic development coming from Blacks in the form of increased Black entreprenurship and investment that would reduce the Black male unemployment rate.

I also felt Cosby was aiming his message at the wrong Blacks. Too often he gave his speeches in middle class Blacks settings. Instead he should have took his message directly to jails and prisons where the guys are who he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies