U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 05:58 PM

558 posts, read 755,155 times

Advertisements

As new technologies emerge, do you feel we should be allowed to create new species and hybrids? Should those species, once "conceived" be the property and/or responsibility of the businesses that created them? Should non-human animals have rights or should they be considered property? Should a person or couple of means be permitted to create super children (i.e. children whose genetic potential in some area would be so great that they'd have decisive advantages over others)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 PM

4,182 posts, read 6,029,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
As new technologies emerge, do you feel we should be allowed to create new species and hybrids? Should those species, once "conceived" be the property and/or responsibility of the businesses that created them? Should non-human animals have rights or should they be considered property? Should a person or couple of means be permitted to create super children (i.e. children whose genetic potential in some area would be so great that they'd have decisive advantages over others)?

We already create hybrids. Perhaps our most prominent invention in this department is corn. Corn isn't a naturally occurring plant. The ancient Mexicans created it by crossing (hybridizing) wild grasses (teosinte). The Story of Corn | Secrets of Plant Genomes: Revealed!

Should we patent species we created? Should children be considered their parents' property? I don't think you can patent a species any more than a parent can claim his child to be his property.

Parents already attempt to create "super children" through genetic and environmental manipulation. Through our choices of mates, we hope to produce offspring that we deem to be genetically endowed (males prefer nubile young females who can bear healthy offspring, while females prefer strong smart males who are perceived to be good providers to their offspring). Parents hope that their kids will inherit these genes that give a survival advantage. That's genetic manipulation.

Environmental manipulation occurs when we send our kids to the best schools in the hope that they will learn useful survival skills. Attending good schools also enables our kids to be socialized into circles that we hope will hook them up into networks that will later provide advantages in career building.

Genetic and evironmental manipulation already happen. People don't need anyone's permission for this to occur.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM

558 posts, read 755,155 times
Thanks for your reply. I should have clarified earlier that I referring to animal hybrids. Do you, for example, think we should be allowed to create minotaurs or dogs like the one in The Fly II or giant, sentient spiders? In other words, at what point does it become immoral? Or does it?

If I'm not mistaken, pets are considered property in most places. Should an intelligent minotaur be considered a piece of property (e.g. a pet) or an individual?

I agree with that you're saying. I'm just trying to figure out where it leads us.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM

4,182 posts, read 6,029,715 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I should have clarified earlier that I referring to animal hybrids. Do you, for example, think we should be allowed to create minotaurs or dogs like the one in The Fly II or giant, sentient spiders? In other words, at what point does it become immoral? Or does it?

If I'm not mistaken, pets are considered property in most places. Should an intelligent minotaur be considered a piece of property (e.g. a pet) or an individual?

I agree with that you're saying. I'm just trying to figure out where it leads us.
If we can create animal hybrids that turn out to be smarter than us, then we may end up being their pets - their property. The relationship between the owner and the owned is a question of power relations. Who has the most power in this relationship? The party with the most power will determine who is labeled the owner and who is the property. So your question can't be answered until you actually create this intelligent minotaur and have him demonstrate his intelligence by subduing us.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,423 times
If you create something that can outsmart us then what is the piont in creating them in the first place? If something you creat becomes mentally unstable then you are the only one to blame. But if you keep the creation inside a safe environment then you should be able to study the mental capabilities of the creation along with if it is dangerous or not.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM

All I have ever wanted to do is give people the choice to be who and what they want to be. This is my gaol, my dream. If someone wants to have wings then I say let them have wings (for the right price of course). If you want to be smarter then you can be, if you want to jump higher then you can. I mean literally anything can be available for the mass population.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:25 PM

4,669 posts, read 5,350,295 times
I want the first horsopotamus, giraffahound, walruscat, crowsnake, and cowparrot.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Default yah

I was talking about people.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,853,923 times
Quote:
I should have clarified earlier that I referring to animal hybrids. Do you, for example, think we should be allowed to create minotaurs or dogs like the one in The Fly II or giant, sentient spiders? In other words, at what point does it become immoral? Or does it?
All of human history is filled with the development of animal species bred specifically for man's use. Why would genetic advancements change that equation. Of course if we embarked upon the development of sentient species, some form of lower humanoid then issues of property and morality will have to be weighed.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,228,465 times
Morality is not in question it is the level of control.
When mankind believes it has control of life and death I think we know what will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies