Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

Campus organization smeared for opposing illegal immigration, same-sex marriage.

One of America's oldest and most mainstream conservative organizations – whose membership has included Ronald Reagan and John Wayne – has been designated a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center for opposing illegal immigration, same-sex marriage and affirmative action.

Young Americans for Freedom at Michigan State University will appear on the list in April along with groups tied to racist skinheads, Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan.

The left-leaning Southern Poverty Law Center says its purpose is to combat racism and promote civil rights.

Kyle Bristow, chairman of MSU-YAF, argues his group simply "supports the sanctity of marriage, the unborn, and opposes illegal immigration and race-preferences."

"Our values are not extreme and the SPLC has gone too far by listing us as a 'hate-group,'" he said.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=54744

Last edited by JD59; 03-19-2007 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,338 times
You're kidding!

That's total overkill. They're grandstanding to a bunch of tenured "women's studies" types. To them, the friggin Boy Scouts of America is a hate group, because they won't jump up and down proclaiming their love for the gays.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
HAHAHA, more examples of political correctness gone wrong. Say anything wrong about illegal immigration or gays and now you are a member of a "hate group".
Sounds like this unknown SPLC has it's own hate issues to deal with.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,980,902 times
Im more concerned with the other hate group they (Reagan-Wayne) belong
to...The one known as 'The Republican Party'.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Im more concerned with the other hate group they (Reagan-Wayne) belong
to...The one known as 'The Republican Party'.
Whether you approved of his politics or not, Reagan was, personally, a good guy. Even the late Tip O'Neill said so.

Wayne was something else again. McCarthy lover, a real horse's ass.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:08 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Whether you approved of his politics or not, Reagan was, personally, a good guy. Even the late Tip O'Neill said so.

Wayne was something else again. McCarthy lover, a real horse's ass.

While Governor of California in 1970 Reagan said the following about student unrest during the Vietnam War:

"These students seek to prove that this system of ours, when faced with crisis, does not work. If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with!"

That attitude has made it difficult for me to think of him as a 'good guy' ever since.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
While Governor of California in 1970 Reagan said the following about student unrest during the Vietnam War:

"These students seek to prove that this system of ours, when faced with crisis, does not work. If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with!"

That attitude has made it difficult for me to think of him as a 'good guy' ever since.
I guess I cannot blame you. For years I associated him with the notorious Redwood National Park crack, to whit:

A TREE'S A TREE - HOW MANY MORE DO YOU NEED TO LOOK AT?

Pretty rank. But I think he mellowed as he got older. We're talking about a guy who, when he was staying at somebody's house in Iceland (during the peace talks with Gorby) sent the Secret Service out to replace the kid's goldfish that died, and left an elaborate note about how bad he felt.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,980,902 times
He was a mixed bag......
He definately hated hippies of which Im one, but he
did some good stuff for American manufacturing in the
early 80's. But, his tenure was at least as corrupt as the
evil Bu$h regime if not more.....scandel after scandel !!

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Marka; 03-21-2007 at 03:35 AM..

Old 03-22-2007, 09:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,498 times
Just another drop in the bucket for the ol' SPLC.

Maybe I should just start referring to all the organizations I disagree with as "Hate groups". I think the IRS could qualify as a hate group. Lets throw the local DMV and the New York Yankees in there too, they are hate groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies