Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,532,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Keep the illegals, deport the republicans, huh? Not a headline that screams for respect.

I don't think America would object to a small amnesty with one or two million of the illegals who've stayed under the radar and out of trouble and are willing to pay fines and learned the language, provided this occured under good economic times.

The proposal of 12-20 million illegals entering the job market to compete against unemployed americans during a borderline depression is straight up stupid and if anyone in congress has half a brain they will not let this happen or if they want to get re-elected.

If you still think shipping 20 million illegals out of here is impossible, you're probably right. But getting a large percentage of them to self-deport is a very much attainable goal. Erect an Israel-style fence on our borders, Take away the K-12 education, limit their healthcare to near-death status, make an example out of anyone that hires them, mandate proof of legal status for any government benefit, in short make an illegal's life a living h^%#. With all that, most illegals will see no reason to stick around.

But is you want to keep dreaming of amnesty dont let me wake you while i wave my America flag.
One of the more balanced and reasonable posts I've read in some time. Deporting 20 million people would cause chaos and serious internal strife in the US. Allowing 20 million people to stay would be an intolerable insult to every law-abiding American AND every legal immigrant.

You post softens the reality, allowing each side to 'save some face'. The "wall" you speak of, I assume, is to make DOUBLE SURE, for ALL TIME, that we never have to go through this again...(having been badly 'burned' on several occasions with PREVIOUS amnesties).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,428,127 times
Quote:
Keep the illegals, deport the republicans, huh? Not a headline that screams for respect.
Republicans have done a lot more damage to this country than illegals have. They pose much more of a barrier as well to efforts to repair that damage. If there is but one group we can kick out of the country, the choice is clear...Republicans will have to go.

Quote:
The proposal of 12-20 million illegals entering the job market to compete against unemployed americans during a borderline depression is straight up stupid and if anyone in congress has half a brain they will not let this happen or if they want to get re-elected.
Uh, they are already here and already in the job market and in the long-run, more will be coming all the time. These are simple facts of life. Jumping up and down doesn't overturn them.

Quote:
If you still think shipping 20 million illegals out of here is impossible, you're probably right. But getting a large percentage of them to self-deport is a very much attainable goal. Erect an Israel-style fence on our borders, Take away the K-12 education, limit their healthcare to near-death status, make an example out of anyone that hires them, mandate proof of legal status for any government benefit, in short make an illegal's life a living h^%#. With all that, most illegals will see no reason to stick around.
Ah, another program to inflict misery...one of a Republican's favorite tools. Meanwhile, what would you do when the contribution to GDP that illegals make suddenly disappeared? What will you replace them with?

Quote:
But is you want to keep dreaming of amnesty dont let me wake you while i wave my America flag.
Flag-waving is one of the few things the right-wing does well. To no useful end or purpose, but still they can do some waving. Good luck with all that...

Old 02-23-2009, 05:22 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Republicans have done a lot more damage to this country than illegals have. They pose much more of a barrier as well to efforts to repair that damage. If there is but one group we can kick out of the country, the choice is clear...Republicans will have to go.
Our democratic governor has Virginia $3 billion in the hole while our new Democratic president has just dropped nearly $800 billion with one stroke of a pen while talking about cutting our deficit (oxymoron aint it?) Your democrats can do a little damage too.

Quote:
Uh, they are already here and already in the job market and in the long-run, more will be coming all the time. These are simple facts of life. Jumping up and down doesn't overturn them.
They are in the underground job market (most are not having taxes taken out of their cash) and undercutting wages. More simple "facts of life."

Quote:
Ah, another program to inflict misery...one of a Republican's favorite tools. Meanwhile, what would you do when the contribution to GDP that illegals make suddenly disappeared? What will you replace them with?
My democratic's mayor's sanctuary city policies are making my life miserable, not to mention my democratic governors budgeting. The illegal's contribution will be replaced by our unemployed, inner-city, and non college-bound workers.

Quote:
Flag-waving is one of the few things the right-wing does well. To no useful end or purpose, but still they can do some waving. Good luck with all that...
I'd love to wave all the illegals goodbye but to be realistic i'll wave to anyone in Congress who actually votes against an amnesty.

Oh, yeah if i gave you the idea that i'm a republican, i'm sorry. I'm a libertarian-leaning independent who wont watch my country be taken over by illegals.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,318,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What a misconception!

What jobs might those be

Construction
hotel service jobs
union jobs
and many others
where in world have you been? illegals ARE working construction (home building) hotel jobs, and many others. corporations/large companies hire illegals and pay them less wages than an american citizen. it puts people like you out of work because you won't work for 5 bucks an hour, because you're too proud to take less than 18 bucks an hour, which is best? some money, or, no money? when you're hungry, you'll work cheap, just like illegals do.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,085,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
If they were to become legal citizens, then they wuold HAVE to file returns every year and would have to report their incomes..pay taxes, etc... just like hte rest of us citizens.

So you really think they would do that?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We need to do this but this needs to be back burner issue for now. It is not wise to add 16 million people to the "legal" workforce when unemployment is going up.
Obama has also promised them they can start bringing in the many family members they left behind. Family reunification. They can bring in elderly grandparents and parents, they can bring in their long lost children they left back home to come here to chase the Almighty American Dollar.

A whole lot of them won't be adding to the workforce because they are very impoverished, illiterate, can't and never will speak a lick of English. They're no way prepared for our high cost of living and will depend very heavily on welfare programs.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,418,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
where in world have you been? illegals ARE working construction (home building) hotel jobs, and many others. corporations/large companies hire illegals and pay them less wages than an american citizen. it puts people like you out of work because you won't work for 5 bucks an hour, because you're too proud to take less than 18 bucks an hour, which is best? some money, or, no money? when you're hungry, you'll work cheap, just like illegals do.
No ****!
Really people cannot work for 5 an hour unless they are getting welfare toolike the illegals and make it with rent food and everything else's cost!
Actually Mexico is not as poor of a country as everyone thinks it is.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
No ****!
Really people cannot work for 5 an hour unless they are getting welfare toolike the illegals and make it with rent food and everything else's cost!
It really is not. Mexico is actually a wealthy nation. One of the top dozen wealthiest nations in the world.

Mexico has public schools, hospitals. It has opportunities. The problem is, to succeed in Mexico, one has to do the same thing one must do here in order to succeed. That is -- stay in school, complete an education. Delay having children until one has an education and a job and a marriage. Limit family size to the number of children one can afford.

The big big difference -- Mexico doesn't have the free housing, the food stamps, the WIC coupons, free meals at the public schools and health care isn't completely free to them althought back home they do have nationalized health care and only have to pay on a sliding scale depending on their income. It's not totally free to them there like it is here.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:22 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,405,330 times
Quote:
Everyone needs to be in a uproar about this! No matter what party affiliation this is not about that it is about legal Americans that are hurting in this country and wanting to give the country away to illegals!
Absolutely! This is not about whether one is a Dem or a Republican. People are not seeing the big picture here and should write or call Congress members. This is an outrage and the motives of the O are staring everyone in the face except for his followers.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,318,605 times
Quote:
No ****!
when people lose their cushy high paying jobs, they'll be working for 5 an hour, just to make the electric, rent, or other bills, and some will turn to public assistance for help. I don't think we need to worry about mexico, I've heard that because of border violence/drug dealing that mexico isn't exactly the best place to vacation right now. and with the loss of jobs in the USA, many businesses laying off, I think mexican citizens are flocking back to their home land to escape our economic woes. so, americans working for 5 an hour? it's not out of the realm of possibilty. more than being concerned about legalizing illegals, you ought to be worried about putting food on your own table right now. I don't think illegals are going to steal autoworker jobs, but then, you never know. car parts are not made here is the US, they're made somewhere elese, china? very little of what we buy is made in america. do you think people who assemble cars are worth 40 bucks or more per hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies