Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Yes Sweden, that's a nation we wish to model. Yikes. Sweden has the second highest tax-burden in the world behind only Denmark which recently claimed the throne. OMG, where do they find these people?
Well if having the highest tax-burden buys you the highest standard of living that would seem like money well spent to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
If you think keeping only 40% of your income is good, God bless your soul. I am not so altruistic.

By the way, running a coutry as big as NYC is far short of managing 300 million+ people. Which variables were used in calculating "quality of life". I found one that had it 7th and the US 15th. I will admit it was a silly formula based primarily on life expectancy and literacy.

These silly formulas can include stupid variables like "access to public transportation". What I am saying is that "quality of life" for REAL people can mean very different things. Taxes are a confiscation of freedoms. How those taxes are then benevolently doled back out may or may not expand the freedoms that you lost in the process.

You may believe that "free" education, housing, and medical care are all that is necessary to have a perfect life. I may believe that I would rather pay for these things myself and not lose all of the wealth that occurs through the inefficiency of transferring wealth for the sake of transferring it through the overseers. Maybe "my" quality of life depends on buying collectible stamps rather than "wasting" it on housing above what I actually need. It is all rather arbitrary and that is really the point. I don't want to create a system that decides what I want for me.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Word games to deceive the masses.

Current Western Financial Policy-Making Is Anti-Enlightenment ** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING « Radical Films

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post

These silly formulas can include stupid variables like "access to public transportation".
Well for us folks who live in those big complicated social structures like NYC, access to public transportation is mighty damned high on our list of quality of life issues. And, the last I checked we were REAL people, just not those Real™ that live in Mayberry.

I see no point into arguing about health care, education and other such frivolous pursuits, other than to say that taxes are not in any way shape or form theft in a democratic society. You pissing and moaning isn't about theft or anything to do with freedom its about living in a society where you don't get YOUR WAY. It is the argument of the spoil child who wants to have a temper tantrum because they got out voted by the rest of the family.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Big Business and Big Government need a divorce.

And no, they shouldn't remain friends.
True. The Federal Reserve is UNconstitutional anyway because it is owned by private parties.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
True. The Federal Reserve is UNconstitutional anyway because it is owned by private parties.
You couldn't tell by their name, though, could you?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
This is why we need to STOP LOANING MONEY To the banks and JUST BUY THEM UP!! Kick out the money grubbing idiots spending taxpayers money and PARTIES AND BOOZE and get the GOVERMENT in there to oversee this BUSINESS!!!.
And you think Uncle Sam will run it any better? The government SUBSIDIZES and have constituents who are "grubbing idiots spending taxpayers money." Don't kid yourself bud. Go buy a book and educate yourself.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
ovcatto you agreed with me, sort of You said my Mayberry quality of life variables differed from your cesspool megalopolis variables. Our only difference is in that you wish to force me to pay for what you think is important for your life regardless of what is important to me. While I believe that you should pay for yours and I pay for mine. I don't have to force anyone to do anything against their will with my system. Thanks for setting the record straight between how "enlightened" you are versus my bumpkin' thinkin'.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 PM

19,011 posts, read 14,186,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Then "run it" on the market value of its Gold Reserve.
Sorry to burst your balloon, but there is not enough gold to operate a hard money system.

Fort Knox Depository has 147 million ounces (worth 2.9 billion in lawful dollars)
147 million / 310 million Americans
less than 1/2 ounce per capita.

World supply of gold (est.) is 5.5 billion ounces.
5.5 billion / 6 billion people
Less than one ounce per capita.

No matter what statutory dollar value you peg gold at, it's just too scarce to function as a medium of exchange.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Sorry to burst your balloon, but there is not enough gold to operate a hard money system.

Fort Knox Depository has 147 million ounces (worth 2.9 billion in lawful dollars)
147 million / 310 million Americans
less than 1/2 ounce per capita.

World supply of gold (est.) is 5.5 billion ounces.
5.5 billion / 6 billion people
Less than one ounce per capita.

No matter what statutory dollar value you peg gold at, it's just too scarce to function as a medium of exchange.
There is enough Gold.

It would be worth quite a few Federal Reserve Notes currently (pun) circulating.

It would be used to back paper currency in useable denominations.

//www.city-data.com/forum/michi...ml#post6990810

The Federal Reserve Abolition Act

Last edited by ergohead; 02-25-2009 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies