Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times

Advertisements

You don't have to take my word for it, go look at Wikipedia and the sources they cite there.

"While many drugs clearly fall into the category of either stimulant, depressant, hallucinogen, or antipsychotic, cannabis, containing both THC and CBD, exhibits a mix of all properties, leaning towards hallucinogen properties due to THC being the primary constituent."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAboy1 View Post
I am not finding this on mainstream news, are you sure it's legit?
Medical is, the DEA announced it will no longer raid shops but ya better have a card and I wouldn't be doing it in public

Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
You don't have to take my word for it, go look at Wikipedia and the sources they cite there.

"While many drugs clearly fall into the category of either stimulant, depressant, hallucinogen, or antipsychotic, cannabis, containing both THC and CBD, exhibits a mix of all properties, leaning towards hallucinogen properties due to THC being the primary constituent."
Well here, it hurts reactions, which is what depressants do, which is why some people call it a depressant, or at least claim depressant like effects(like I have claimed).

Erowid Cannabis Vault : Marijuana and Alcohol Combined Increase Impairment

As shown there in the Marijuana and Marijuana+Alcohol graphs, reaction time and driving performance were significantly impacted by use. The difference being that apparently Marijuana alone levels out while Marijuana+Alcohol continues to erode ability. Also note the comparison between .07 BAC(.08 is legal limit) and the effects of Marijuana alone. The .07 BAC still resulted in a better reaction time and slightly better lateral deviation.

Here is a website that shows both sides and the middle ground, and it's fairly clear that everyone agrees it hampers driving ability, especially during the "acute" phase.

Again, showing effects of a depressant. Don't get so uppity, Mr Pot Elitist.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Weed does affect my driving. I never smoke before I drive. It makes me zone out.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 62,810 times
Thumbs up So why not just Legalize it & Regulate it?

So why not just Legalize it & Regulate it?

Like with all the other "bad" stuff that government does with now!
We could argue all day, about weather it's bad or good for you or what kinds of effects it may have while under the influence.

The fact is - that there's a lot of people using it! RIGHT? - weather you like it of not, people Will continue too use it regardless.

I'm just speaking here from Northern CA, - and I'm becoming afraid it's starting to go towards what happened in Chicago during probation. Its starting to tear our once peace-full, friendly countryside apart. And how about where you live? See more gangs? Are people/neighbors becoming more fearful, distrustful, distancing, & paranoid, keeping to themselves mostly?
Crime thrives under such conditions.

Whenever you have big time money involved, for something that a lot of people want, but can't have because it's against the Law - you will have crime organizations, distributing gangs and EZ life growers.

And the real bad guys, = they just get richer, bolder, and more flagrant because we just continue to argue with ourselves on emotional points or withdraw in disgust - such that we can't seem to decide on anything anymore.
Look, you know what the growers out here really fear the most - it's that it WOULD be legalized! Then what the hell else can they do? In this economy, for money, now? What, WORK for a living like the rest of us other good people do?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitebird View Post

The fact is - that there's a lot of people using it! RIGHT? - weather you like it of not, people Will continue too use it regardless.
You could easily be talking about cocaine, heroin, meth, or any other drug. It's a stupid reason to legitimize anything.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
You're all wrong, marijuana is classified as a hallucinogen (albeit a weak one) and frankly shows that you're ignorant as to its effects and impairment.
I guess you missed the part where I said "IF" it's a depressant. Meaning I don't know what it is because I don't do it and never have. Speculation cannot be ignorant; misinformed perhaps.

The bottom line is, some of the hippie folks in here can claim that their "grass" is perfectly safe and natural, having no side effects, but there's no way weed has no effect on driving. Especially if they're thinking of treating it like drinking. Which is why I also said I would like to see someone actually test its effects against drinking, regular smoking, cell phones etc; to definitively determine what those effects are. I believe the reason they don't do it, is because it's currently illegal.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:09 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
You could easily be talking about cocaine, heroin, meth, or any other drug. It's a stupid reason to legitimize anything.
The smart reason is that it's none of the government's business.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM

194 posts, read 463,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I agree with this statement completely, people will find a way to indulge in their vices, whether it be a sack of weed, a couple rocks of crack or a fifth of gin and a pack of marlboros!! The reasoning of "people are going to do it anyway" is weak and could be said about even the most heinious acts of humankind. That's the problem with people with the pothead mentality trying to argue such a serious issue, it gets dismissed as a joke!! While the verdict is still out about the effects of marijuana, it has been almost agreed upon across the board that the dangers of smoking pot are no more severe than those associated with alcohol consumption, and any legalization should be similarly regulated. I for one don't smoke, but I would find it hard to argue against a law that would potentially generate new tax money, and surely reduce crime by removing a large component from the black market. While potheads usually don't commit crimes like hardcore drug addicts, there is a whole underworld built on illegal marijuana sales, and they're becoming as violent as their coke and heroin peddling counterparts, just look at the recent bloodshed in Mexico, the marijuana trade is playing a big role in that nightmare, and it's a shame because there are so many legitimate supporters of legalization!! However, the biggest pro to me is that legalized pot would be sold and regulated like alcohol and tobacco, and as a father that is reassuring. Sure, a teenager can get their hands on a case of beer or a pack of cigarettes with a little tenacity, but it is a hell of a lot easier for them to go buy a sack of dope, and frankly that scares the hell out of me!! Most, unfortunately wouldn't even have to leave school to do it!! Legalization would make it harder for minors to get their hands on marijuana,and would all but eliminate predators who get rich selling dope they know ends up in the hands of our kids! As a society, the U.S. needs to step up and try a different approach to the failed "war on drugs", not because people are going to do them anyway, but because in the wake of all these hard times we need to choose our battles wisely.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 48,790 times
lol Ive never heard pot refered to as a depressant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies