Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 02:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/zimbabwe-...150503602.html

In 20 years, they couldn't even figure out how to farm for themselves! Of course, they believed that the reason whites achieved more success was because of racism, and they could just take the land and just as easily own successful farms. Nope.
Even worse, in a lot of cases they didn't even try. Sometimes the farmers were lucky just to get out alive with their families intact, and were forced to leave everything else behind. A black farmer just had to take over everything that was already set up. But instead they ransacked the farms, stole everything they could move, and destroyed everything else.
Here's what two farm families went through. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle32104191/

https://nehandaradio.com/2017/01/11/...mugabe-forces/

After what this family went through, https://zimbabwe-today.com/zimbabwe-...-farm-workers/

they were the first to have their farm returned to them. Looted and vandalized, but at least no one is shooting at them anymore, so that's a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pD8jvCP6k

They need to get their central bank in order though, their inflation rate of 475% and 65% prime rate aren't exactly business friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 03:46 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I understand many farmers fled the country.

I can't imagine any of them risking their and their family's lives and futures by returning to a place governed like that.
Many see it as home, a connection to the land when you work it can be very deep after many generations in a family. Mozembique and Zambia saw an opportunity to gain some knowledgeable farmers early on, and offered the displaced white farmers land in those countries to farm, many took those offers up.

Good documentary I saw about a white farmer named Ben Freeth who stood his ground and sued the govt over human rights violations, eventually winning the case, but losing the land via the govt tactics of squatting by large groups. The farm was eventually burned down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Freeth

Old 03-15-2020, 04:50 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Sorry, but I just can't be concerned about the self-inflicted troubles in Africa.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:54 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
It happened in the Ukraine and millions of people died. It happened in China during the Great Leap Forward and approximately 40 million people died. Who knows how many other times in human history that we had a majority that looked enviously on a successful minority that was really good at producing food and stolen their lands, figuring they were actually stealing their wealth. It always fails miserably. Southern Africa is a tough place to farm. You have to be really precise about it. The white colonists had it figured out in Zimbabwe. Their skin color is immaterial really, but it was precisely the excuse use to take it all away from them. The bread basket of Africa turned into a starvation zone in almost no time flat.

But you'd have to ask yourself: If you are a white farmer who was brutalized, had family members murdered and eventually had all your lands taken away from you ... do you really want to go back for more? I wouldn't. I'd be looking to get the hell outa Zimbabwe right about now.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:24 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Farming is a business. You can’t just give inexperienced people a commercial farm and expect them to be successful no matter what race they are.

Obviously, Mugabe was too stupid to understand that, or not. Actually, I’m pretty sure he knew better. He just wanted to remain in power by fomenting a revolution from below. Expropriating farms was a stupid way to do it.
Give? LOL. Mugabe seized those farms and redistributed them to friends, family, and associates, all of whom were corrupt and incompetent in running an agricultural enterprise. LOL. And then ... then, they begged the farmers, the very same ones they stole from, to come back and save their bacon by working FOR them!!!! What gall! Hell no!

Old 03-15-2020, 08:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't see a mass influx of whenwe's or their children moving back to Rhodesia.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:25 AM

586 posts, read 314,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
When I was young, people were outraged at the racist policies in South Africa.

That's because they didn't know the history of how SA came into being. The bought into the crapola peddled by the MSM.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Give? LOL. Mugabe seized those farms and redistributed them to friends, family, and associates, all of whom were corrupt and incompetent in running an agricultural enterprise. LOL. And then ... then, they begged the farmers, the very same ones they stole from, to come back and save their bacon by working FOR them!!!! What gall! Hell no!
I’m pretty damn sure I used the word “expropriated” in my post!

I’m also pretty damn sure that I acknowledged the folly of turning commercial farms over to peasants with no agribusiness experience.

I mean, if you’re just looking for beef just to argue about something, go look somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
That's because they didn't know the history of how SA came into being. The bought into the crapola peddled by the MSM.
It doesn’t matter how South Africa came to be.

What South Africa imposed on the majority was wrong regardless just like imposing the same thing on minorities in THIS country was wrong.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:46 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default First steps - get past the history

An economy is cooperative - or it's not a market @ all. If you want to run a dictatorship or a kleptocracy, you have to put guards on the workers, & police the borders tightly, run an intrusive secret police. A Soviet-style economy is very centralized, & the USSR never had the data processing power nor reliable sources to get a good picture of the overall & regional & local economies, & therefore be able to make & implement sound economic/political decisions.

I don't know what it would take to put Zimbabwe back on its feet. The first step would be to defuse the racial/ethnic/religious?/tribal tensions - other countries have put in Truth & Forgiveness kinds of procedures/process (in similar situations) - which might work. I don't know the picture on the ground in Zimbabwe, not one of my interests.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:06 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
An economy is cooperative - or it's not a market @ all. If you want to run a dictatorship or a kleptocracy, you have to put guards on the workers, & police the borders tightly, run an intrusive secret police. A Soviet-style economy is very centralized, & the USSR never had the data processing power nor reliable sources to get a good picture of the overall & regional & local economies, & therefore be able to make & implement sound economic/political decisions.

I don't know what it would take to put Zimbabwe back on its feet. The first step would be to defuse the racial/ethnic/religious?/tribal tensions - other countries have put in Truth & Forgiveness kinds of procedures/process (in similar situations) - which might work. I don't know the picture on the ground in Zimbabwe, not one of my interests.
“Back on its feet”? Let white peope live there again. Or raise the IQ of all the Africans there. Every country in Africa is the same. Pretty bad when you aren’t even intelligent enough to learn to farm for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies