Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 27,947 times

Advertisements

I am a Junior in Highschool, am on the school debate team, and am in advanced Global Studies and American history classes. I'll also warn you, I am Republican. -My background.
Apperently this election in my school has sparked alot of interest in the country and the events that are current. I'm suprised about how little the students and teachers(execpt my social studies teachers) even know about most major topic's in the world such as the problems in the middle-east and why it's America's problem, or so I believe. Why we are there and what is happening in the region in general. Most Americans don't realize that the United States is hated by the rest of the world. And and why our economy is in its condition. I believe it to be true that we still do have an advancing economy just not the one we have had in the past decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
I look at it as a stereotype, however, sometimes this can be true. A lot of Americans are also naive when it comes to global issues, and haven't done much research on the controversy.

I went to school in the USA when I was about 12 (3 years ago). Someone had brought up the issue of same-sex marriage. I had heard some of the most ignorant statements ever. Students were like, "The population will decline if gay marriage is legalized" and "Jesus said being gay is wrong". First off, everyone knows that heterosexuals outnumber homosexuals BIG TIME, so that can't be the reason.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Junior in high school too. I think high school aged Americans are a bit less intelligent than Americans on the whole. But that isn't saying much. Not a single one of my teachers knows more than me or even what I would consider an acceptable level of knowledge about the rest of the world and how it works.

Don't even try to talk to people about the environment and the result of their gorging consumerism or human rights. They just don't know. It's why I can't wait until I get to a part of the country that's (hopefully) full of much more intelligent people.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militarism View Post
I am a Junior in Highschool, am on the school debate team, and am in advanced Global Studies and American history classes. I'll also warn you, I am Republican. -My background.
Apperently this election in my school has sparked alot of interest in the country and the events that are current. I'm suprised about how little the students and teachers(execpt my social studies teachers) even know about most major topic's in the world such as the problems in the middle-east and why it's America's problem, or so I believe. Why we are there and what is happening in the region in general. Most Americans don't realize that the United States is hated by the rest of the world. And and why our economy is in its condition. I believe it to be true that we still do have an advancing economy just not the one we have had in the past decade.
Frankly it's Republican voters that are most ignorant of Global Issues.

A good portion of them think Obama is a Muslim.....A good portion of them still believe Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11.

The biggest laugher of all.....Most Republicans thought invading Iraq was a good idea......Now after 4000+ dead soldiers and 1 Trillion Dollars up in smoke, public opinion polls show most Americans know better.

Last edited by padcrasher; 02-23-2009 at 06:25 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Yes they are ignorant.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Not a single one of my teachers knows more than me or even what I would consider an acceptable level of knowledge about the rest of the world and how it works.
I think that for a high school student you need to learn a little humility. Then you might begin to learn a thing of two.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that for a high school student you need to learn a little humility. Then you might begin to learn a thing of two.
From people lacking in basic civics and geography knowledge, I wouldn't think so. If anything I would say it's better. Many people would be a lot better off if they had standards for who and what they would or would not consider credible.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militarism View Post
I'm suprised about how little the students and teachers(execpt my social studies teachers) even know about most major topic's in the world such as the problems in the middle-east and why it's America's problem, or so I believe.
I lived 1/2 of my life in South America and 1/2 of my life in the US, so I've thought a lot about this.

Here's your answer: The United States is a closed society

When I lived in Southamerica, 80-90% of the news were national and 10-20% of the news were international, covering a lot of countries around the World.

In the US, the only news from around the World are from the countries that the US is attacking or getting ready to attack (i.e. Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.)
Besides that... it's all about the US, you barely hear anything about the World Cup, Formula 1, the Dhakar rally or any HUGE international soccer event.
Without internet or satellite TV, you wouldn't know anything at all about the World in the US.

You don't believe me,
Do a survey... ask only americans to name the capital of only 2 countries: Canada & Mexico.
I'll give you $1 for each person that get's both correct.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Frankly it's Republican voters that are most ignorant of Global Issues.

A good portion of them think Obama is a Muslim.....A good portion of them still believe Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11.

The biggest laugher of all.....Most Republicans thought invading Iraq was a good idea......Now after 4000+ dead soldiers and 1 Trillion Dollars up in smoke public opinion polls show most Americans know better.
I feel that Democratic voters can be ignorant aswell, after all 98% of African American's voted for Obama. Or maybe that is racism? Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11, but he did aid the chaotic actions of the middle eastern Region. Losing lives is appart of gaining freedom, maybe not our own but it's our duty to allow countries like Iraq to aquire it for themselves.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I lived 1/2 of my life in South America and 1/2 of my life in the US, so I've thought a lot about this.

Here's your answer: The United States is a closed society

When I lived in Southamerica, 80-90% of the news were national and 10-20% of the news were international, covering a lot of countries around the World.

In the US, the only news from around the World are from the countries that the US is attacking or getting ready to attack (i.e. Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.)
Besides that... it's all about the US, you barely hear anything about the World Cup, Formula 1, the Dhakar rally or any HUGE international soccer event.
Without internet or satellite TV, you wouldn't know anything at all about the World in the US.

You don't believe me,
Do a survey... ask only americans to name the capital of only 2 countries: Canada & Mexico.
I'll give you $1 for each person that get's both correct.
I belive this to be very true, but we are not to blame, if America were a smaller country or lacking many resources, or bordering more countries, or even have a longer history, things might be different. America's dealings with other countries would be crucial to its existance. We are self reliant and are perfectly fine to be independant. It has negatives and positives, I just wish they could be balanced out, perhaps making the first channel when you turn on the TV be CNN rather then the local news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies