Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Please explain?
I'll give it a shot.

If god answered prayers - we would see prayers influencing reality. We don't.

If miracles happened, we'd have some examples to point to. We don't.

If god intervened in world affairs on behalf of believers, there would be some evidence of it. But in fact, there is no indication of that. Atheists are just as healthy, just as lucky, just as happy as anybody else.

An intervening god is not supported by the evidence in front of us. However, the nonexistence of god is very much in line with what we see.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What you are seeing with "You're not REAL Christians!" are when some claim themselves Christians and yet promote that which is against God and his teachings. It would be like me claiming I am environmentalist while actively supporting and promoting toxic waste dumping.

This is where you see this behavior.

A person who sins out of weakness, yet denounces the sin and attempts to avoid that sin is not the same as one who sins, promotes the sin and embraces it. One is a Christian, the other is not. It is not sin to which defines a Christian, for all sin, rather it is the acceptance of sin to which separates a Christian and non-Christian. There are many wolves in sheep's clothing, it is expected there would be many non-Christians claiming themselves Christians.
Unless that sin is promoted as God's will such as genocide of the Canaanites, enslavement, or killing homosexuals, etc..............

Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I'll give it a shot.

If god answered prayers - we would see prayers influencing reality. We don't.

If miracles happened, we'd have some examples to point to. We don't.

If god intervened in world affairs on behalf of believers, there would be some evidence of it. But in fact, there is no indication of that. Atheists are just as healthy, just as lucky, just as happy as anybody else.

An intervening god is not supported by the evidence in front of us. However, the nonexistence of god is very much in line with what we see.
A simple example: if god existed, plane crashes would be nonexistent. How many people do you think pray to god while the plane is going down? Me, I'd be praying to the pilot since I don't believe in god & since the plane would crash anyway, there's the answer to if god actually exists.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Of course there is; you've just chosen to reject it/them.
The explanations are based on speculation though rather than one based on empirical evidence. When I say there's no explanation I mean there currently isn't one based on empirically verifiable evidence.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
How is an Atheists moral system established? Is there an agreed upon code of ethics to which dictates moral behavior that all atheist follow or is this moral code established through each individual? What process of validity establishes the superior code when there are conflicts between differing codes? Is it a majority establishment or an environmental adaption (random killing creates chaos, disrupts society, there by establishing random killing as wrong).

If it is a majority rule, what stipulations establish minority oppression? Is majority always correct regardless of the moral?

If it is environmental adaption, then scenarios of oppression are acceptable if society stays functional?

Or is it simply "he who has the bigger stick" the establishment of such a system? Basically how does one define morality and virtue. What is honor and integrity? What is ethical?

I am just interested to hear your take on things.
Respect and empathy for our fellow man.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So your mind goes blank no thoughts what so ever on the subject?
I don't really think about it, I choose not to speculate.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
You brought it up, and I called you on it; and murder is murder. But out of respect I'll drop it.
I deliberately picked infanticide and cannibalism as both are probably and hopefully rejected by everyone in the West, regardless of religion and political orientation

Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
saggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not much of an answer. You are left with no argument if you remove the false premise and try to work from the proper one.

The non-existence of any supernatural realm and of any inhabitant or inhabitants thereof is fully consistent with all evidence that has ever been collected, recorded, and verified in the natural world.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
No, it doesn't. Your statement is utter nonsense. It takes much more faith to believe in some devine being for which you have zero evidence. It takes no faith to say "I don't know."

Besides, nobody believes that the world and humans are here because of "random happenstance," whatever that means. There are the laws of physics. There is natural selection.
That is an agnostic, not an atheist. An atheist says, "I know that there is no God." Faith

Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Like I know, however you're the one who brought it up, I'm simply quoting you so I suspect you have the answer?
Sorry, I'm not following?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies