Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where are the bills/resolutions/lawsuits from states against the Federal government?

I personally don't remember anything like this during bush or clinton.

You would think if this were a standard thing for the states to engage in, it would be out there. Show me the links.
See post #2 in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...s-looking.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Secession! Woohoo! Hey, I remember there being a thread on this topic before here. Went on for quite a while as I remember. Can't keep a good idea down

Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
I'm laughing at the issue and the people pursuing it. They lost the election, they haven't been able to spin any issue that is more or less real into anything significantly negative and now they're talking things like secession and civil war, AND the sorry SOB's think they are holding their own politically and can expect to be taken seriously as individuals! LOL!

I sure don't care how this one comes out, I'm just fascinated by how the bastards' brains work.
Um, no, I think you need to read up on the issue. This has nothing to do with the election. It's a means of protection the states are using to keep from being saddled with a plethora of unfunded mandates.

In other words, they want to make sure that if the government requires more funding and programs to be provided in the states, that the states aren't out billions of dollars implementing these programs and keeping them going. As I said previously, it's easy to START a program but NOT EASY to keep it going when the fed. money dries up. MANY states have legal restrictions requiring a balanced budget and prohibiting deficit spending.

Let me put it to you simply: If the feds tell the states that they MUST extend unemployment coverage and gives a one-time sum of money to accomplish it, then the states should NOT be required to keep paying for extended unemployment coverage once the program and fed money run out. This is just one example. As I said, my state and others are not allowed to have a budget with deficit spending, UNLIKE the federal government!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Talk about your Tinfoil Hats! These guys have Tinfoil Wallpaper!!! It's an op-ed piece, not news. LOL! LOL! LOL!
Oh it is news and I challenge you or anyone to find where now 25 or more states have passed or are in the process of passing sovereignty bills within 60 days of a new POTUS.

Here is a
video of Rep. Rohrer explaining why his state is worried about Obama's administration.

I have seen nothing in this thread so far that actually deals with the subject of so many states so soon. Nothing but SPIN that is!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Um, no, I think you need to read up on the issue. This has nothing to do with the election. It's a means of protection the states are using to keep from being saddled with a plethora of unfunded mandates.

In other words, they want to make sure that if the government requires more funding and programs to be provided in the states, that the states aren't out billions of dollars implementing these programs and keeping them going. As I said previously, it's easy to START a program but NOT EASY to keep it going when the fed. money dries up. MANY states have legal restrictions requiring a balanced budget and prohibiting deficit spending.

Let me put it to you simply: If the feds tell the states that they MUST extend unemployment coverage and gives a one-time sum of money to accomplish it, then the states should NOT be required to keep paying for extended unemployment coverage once the program and fed money run out. This is just one example. As I said, my state and others are not allowed to have a budget with deficit spending, UNLIKE the federal government!
A very good explanation of the problem but I think it does have something to do with this administration. There are now at least 25 states taking this up within 60 days of the new POTUS. I doubt that you can find where anything even close to that has happened before.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest the federal government simply stop all federal spending in the states that refuse to participate in the stimulus program. Any money saved can be distributed to the states that cooperate.
I don't think so, the stimulus has nothing to do with any other taxes the the states send to the federal government.

The federal government has NO money, it all belongs to the citizens!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes please check it out because it is not the same as what is happening now. Those are searches for suits over the 10th amendment and check out the dates they go way back and are sparse by year.

Now look at this search on states reaffirming their sovereignty, they are numerous and all dated within the last 30 days on the first page. BIG difference.

Nothing like this has ever happened before.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Governor Perry of Texas said yesterday that he didn't want it because there are to many strings attached and it would cost Texas taxpayers to much in Texas taxes..

I don't know if he has changed his mind yet.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Yes please check it out because it is not the same as what is happening now. Those are searches for suits over the 10th amendment and check out the dates they go way back and are sparse by year.

Now look at this search on states reaffirming their sovereignty, they are numerous and all dated within the last 30 days on the first page. BIG difference.

Nothing like this has ever happened before.
Well, yes, actually it has. From the 10th amendment archives:

34 States Align Against National I.D. Card

10th Amendment Archives

Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest the federal government simply stop all federal spending in the states that refuse to participate in the stimulus program. Any money saved can be distributed to the states that cooperate.
As long as the beneficiary states agree to pay the tax bill for it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies