Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,377 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody !
I'm french and I'm studying English. It might be not the right place to ask this, but I'm trying ! For one of my courses I have to write an essay about a language policy, concerning English of course. I've chosen to study the importance of spanish language in California and my thesis statement is : California should become a bilingual state (english/spanish).
I thought that asking Californians would be a good way to have a general idea to see if my statement is maintainable or not. I've already been seeking many various kinds of information, but there are amounts of stuff on the Internet, so if someone wants to leave me a note or commentary about that ... please do ! =)
Thanks a lot in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
This is just too funny! The Republic of California is teaching Spanish to native Spanish speakers! This is like teaching Austrian to Awnold! I'm bi-lingual so I'm going to find a school that teaches both advanced English and Spanish! I'll have all my bases covered! Only on the Left Coast!

FOXNews.com - California School Spends $10G a Year to Teach AP Spanish to Kids Who Speak Spanish - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Most high schools across the country also offer AP English to.....English speakers!

Do you believe it? At the taxpayers expense??

See just because someone speaks a language does not mean they fully understand all the nuances of grammar or literature or...., never mind.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

See just because someone speaks a language does not mean they fully understand all the nuances of grammar or literature or...., never mind.
DON'T KNOW the NUANCES?? WTF? Dude, are you for REAL ?? ROFLMAO !! What R U "Talking" about, "nuances"....? Me and my friends know ALL the nuances we NEED to know...and so does my SO.

Chill...."nuances"...U got to be kidding...(hahahahaha....LOL)

I mist your point all together...all though it may be their, It went buy me...

Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
It's not lack of Spanish fluency that is putting us at a disadvantage globally. It's poor math and science. India will gain where we will lose because not only are the people of India taking advantage of having English as their common language, while we are trying to become a nation divided by language, where people cannot communicate with one another, the people of India are also learning math, computer programming, science. They aren't wasting their time and money on Spanish.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post

Wrong! I took AP classes in college as my BS is in Business and Communications.

No you didn't. Advanced Placement courses are offered in high school to high school students. AP exams are given the first two weeks of May to students who elect to sit for them. Students who receive a passing score on the exams receive college credit at the college of their choosing.

The whole point of AP is to test out of taking the class in in college.

It is apparent that you are unfamiliar with the AP program.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
DON'T KNOW the NUANCES?? WTF? Dude, are you for REAL ?? ROFLMAO !! What R U "Talking" about, "nuances"....? Me and my friends know ALL the nuances we NEED to know...and so does my SO.

Chill...."nuances"...U got to be kidding...(hahahahaha....LOL)

I mist your point all together...all though it may be their, It went buy me...
Cute.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
Obviously nobody at Fox News has taken AP English...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowa View Post
Hi everybody !
I'm french and I'm studying English. It might be not the right place to ask this, but I'm trying ! For one of my courses I have to write an essay about a language policy, concerning English of course. I've chosen to study the importance of spanish language in California and my thesis statement is : California should become a bilingual state (english/spanish).
I thought that asking Californians would be a good way to have a general idea to see if my statement is maintainable or not. I've already been seeking many various kinds of information, but there are amounts of stuff on the Internet, so if someone wants to leave me a note or commentary about that ... please do ! =)
Thanks a lot in advance !
Gee, I thought that California was already a bi-lingual state! So is Florida, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, to a lesser extent. May I suggest that you study the Province of Quebec, Canada as Quebec is as close to a bi-lingual state as you can get. I love watching PM Stephen Harper on C-SPAN in Parliament smoothly transition from English to French and then back to English without missing a thought!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Obviously nobody at Fox News has taken AP English...
AP English? How about the writers and on-air personalities at FoxNoise using high school level English! How about Kieth Overbite and Chris "Barama" Mathews at MSNBC taking some college developmental English courses! Those two are the pits when it come to mangling the English language!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
No you didn't. Advanced Placement courses are offered in high school to high school students. AP exams are given the first two weeks of May to students who elect to sit for them. Students who receive a passing score on the exams receive college credit at the college of their choosing.

The whole point of AP is to test out of taking the class in in college.

It is apparent that you are unfamiliar with the AP program.
Yoh! I graduated from college in 1977! The course structure was way different 37 years ago! Next time you run off at the mouth, check the age and time line of an OP's "dubious" post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies