Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You may have earned credits by participating in the College Level Examination Program (CLEP - also administered by the College Board) when you were in college, but you did NOT take AP classes during your first year of college.

To find out more about the intent and pupose of the AP program go to:
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/index.html

I graduated from high school in 1962 - there were no AP classes in my high school either.

I'm sorry, but it is not possible for me to make a fool out of you. You will or will not do that all by yourself.
There are internal fools and external fools! I have little tolerance for the the latter! And yes, is is very possible that CLEP is what I'm confusing with the AP program. That was 40 years ago, and the shell fragments that are still in my legs and back may have reduced the blood supply to my brain, so lets call it even and move on.

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 03-01-2009 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Correct typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
Default Spanish is driving out other languages!

At the school where I teach french and Italian, I was accused of being a RACIST because I made the comment at a meeting that giving foreign language credit to native speaker Spanish students is a farce because Spanish is not a foreigh language for them!
Unfortunately, because of the huge selection of Spanish classes that are offered, many of the Spanish speaking students choose Spanish for the easy credit and of course for the reason that they do not have to challenge themselves to learn another language. I am trying to fight the system but it seems futile being that the majority of the administrators are Hispanic! Does anyone have any ideas to help me? My classes are dwindling in number even though I am a popular teacher!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdupre10 View Post
At the school where I teach french and Italian, I was accused of being a RACIST because I made the comment at a meeting that giving foreign language credit to native speaker Spanish students is a farce because Spanish is not a foreigh language for them!
Unfortunately, because of the huge selection of Spanish classes that are offered, many of the Spanish speaking students choose Spanish for the easy credit and of course for the reason that they do not have to challenge themselves to learn another language. I am trying to fight the system but it seems futile being that the majority of the administrators are Hispanic! Does anyone have any ideas to help me? My classes are dwindling in number even though I am a popular teacher!
You are obviously swimming upstream in hostile waters. There are times when it is better to fall back and regroup rather than charge blindly ahead. I suggest that you become certified in Spanish and teach all three languages. If you can't beat them on their field, beat them on your field. BTW, I am fluent in written Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I can understand a hispanic student taking a Spanish class for credit. They may speak the language learned from their parents talking at home... but they still never learned the spelling and writing of the language. Recall many decades ago in school where a teacher chided a girl for taking the class for credit...after all it was kinda a slam dunk for the girl. In the US many kids have Spanish as their first language before they even start kindergarten.

As for me...my first language was Hungarian as my mother did not speak any English. Of course I started to learn English on starting kindergarten. Today I speak the language but never learned to read or write it. When thinking in Hungarian I can read some but writing would be another story.

With all the illegals in Calif and the language of Spanish solely being spoken at home...children will have a hard time learning English.

A neighbor (bi-lingual Spanish) has a daughter who just started teaching grade school small kids. She wants to teach but now is disappointed due to the hispanic kids not wanting to learn with English being part of the problem.

They (small percentage) will always have a problem getting ahead and will eventually be the future dropouts in High School.

Sad but true...money spent and wasted.

Steve

Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
The point is that if California isn't willing to offer AP courses in other languages spoken by other immigrants--Cambodian, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, etc.--it has no business spending American tax dollars in order to privilege one group of immigrants over others.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I can understand a hispanic student taking a Spanish class for credit. They may speak the language learned from their parents talking at home... but they still never learned the spelling and writing of the language. Recall many decades ago in school where a teacher chided a girl for taking the class for credit...after all it was kinda a slam dunk for the girl. In the US many kids have Spanish as their first language before they even start kindergarten.

As for me...my first language was Hungarian as my mother did not speak any English. Of course I started to learn English on starting kindergarten. Today I speak the language but never learned to read or write it. When thinking in Hungarian I can read some but writing would be another story.

With all the illegals in Calif and the language of Spanish solely being spoken at home...children will have a hard time learning English.

A neighbor (bi-lingual Spanish) has a daughter who just started teaching grade school small kids. She wants to teach but now is disappointed due to the hispanic kids not wanting to learn with English being part of the problem.

They (small percentage) will always have a problem getting ahead and will eventually be the future dropouts in High School.

Sad but true...money spent and wasted.

Steve
I began by learning written Spanish, then I added Italian (my heritage) and finally, Portuguese. Spanish is the key to learning Italian and Portuguese as all three languages are similar in vocabulary and grammar. But on the other side of the coin, I am only semi-fluent in spoken Spanish and barely fluent in spoken Italian and Portuguese. As you mentioned, you learned spoken Hungarian, but not written Hungarian. For true fluency in any language, writing and speaking proficiency must be achieved in order to master a language, any language. Many Spanish speakers are fluent in spoken Spanish but not in written Spanish. I have had the occasion to assist Spanish speakers in the the big box stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, etc) who could not read signs in English or Spanish and spoke very little English. BTW, Lowes is totally bi-lingual, right down to the hand written signs! But in the Lowes stores in the Wilkes-Barre PA area, there are few to none bi-lingual store employees, especially customer assistance. Go figure!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
This is just too funny! The Republic of California is teaching Spanish to native Spanish speakers! This is like teaching Austrian to Awnold! I'm bi-lingual so I'm going to find a school that teaches both advanced English and Spanish! I'll have all my bases covered! Only on the Left Coast!

FOXNews.com - California School Spends $10G a Year to Teach AP Spanish to Kids Who Speak Spanish - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Let's look at this another way:

QUESTION: How many schools in the entire United States of America, public or private, spend loads of money each year to teach English to children in grades K-12 who are already fluent in English?

ANSWER: All of them.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
This is just too funny! The Republic of California is teaching Spanish to native Spanish speakers! This is like teaching Austrian to Awnold! I'm bi-lingual so I'm going to find a school that teaches both advanced English and Spanish! I'll have all my bases covered! Only on the Left Coast!

FOXNews.com - California School Spends $10G a Year to Teach AP Spanish to Kids Who Speak Spanish - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Uh, so one of my majors in college was Spanish and I can tell you that the native speakers can actually be pretty rotten at grammar, linguistics, tenses...it's like why we teach native English speakers English...because there is more to it than just talking.

I was no native speaker, but my papers were usually graded higher because I knew how to write properly in the language.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
I wonder how much they spend teaching Anglo-American kids English, or do schools not have English classes anymore? That might explain some of the posters around here.

What a dumb premise for a thread.

IMHO, they need to make Latin and Greek mandatory in public schools...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:

And that would be part of why Kalinfornia is in major financial trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies