Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
What we can do for our country is what? Paying more taxes to government, fight in the wars which initiate by government?
What he means is the opposite of everything the Trump Admin, the GOP and the "modern" libertarians (Koch, Cato, Heritage, etc.) stand for.

That should be very easy for you to figure out...just write down what the Trump admin is doing and then put down the opposite....

Examples:
Trump thinks we should spew more pollution into the air, water and land.
JFK's "ask" would be to think of both current and future generations.

Trump has disengaged with most of the world other than bombing them or making deals with Russians.
JFK expanded greatly the Peace Corps and America gained a great rep abroad.

Etc....

No, it didn't mean War. But it does mean taxes...as they are part of ANY civil society.

The current Political Climate can be described as "what can you do for me?". JFK was saying that we'd have a better society if we all sat around and considered what we could do for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 PM

649 posts, read 316,471 times
Very simple , don't be a parasite on society , be productive .

Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
don't be a parasite on society , be productive .
Join the Hitler Youth today!

(sorry, just finishing up the commercial for ya)

Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:
What we can do for our country is what? Paying more taxes to government, fight in the wars which initiate by government?
I suggest you look at the initiatives that Kennedy promoted, rather than make inane assumptions.

Unlike Trump, who avoided the draft 4 time, Kennedy served.

Unlike Trump, who took another man's purple heart, Kennedy was awarded Navy and Marine Corps medals for heroism.

Unlike Trump, who is the oldest POTUS ever, Kennedy was the youngest ever.

Unlike Trump, whose trade policies will lead to recession, Kennedy pulled the US out of recession (+5% GDP from 1961 to 1963).

Unlike Trump, who is only helping his own, Kennedy formed the Peace Corps (which virtually eradicated malaria in Africa).

Unlike Trump, which is edging the US towards nuclear war with the DPRK, Kennedy averted nuclear war with the USSR.

Lots more where this comes from.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:08 PM

31 posts, read 39,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I think he meant get off your lazy ass and work.
More than that. JFK was before I was born, but I always think imagine the stink if a presidential candidate said that now a days. Just as in my area, there a lot of immigrants. In many countries military service is mandated. Many people ask all the time "Is THAT why you left?!".

Old 07-17-2021, 07:29 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,313,910 times
Like most of these quotes, it makes sense if you read it in context.
It's from President Kennedy's Inaugural Address. It's a good speech and short. I know this is asking a lot, but please read the whole thing and think about each part as you read it.

https://voicesofdemocracy.umd.edu/ke...s-speech-text/

From near the end:
Quote:
[23] Now the trumpet summons us again–not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need–not as a call to battle, though embattled we are–but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, “rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation”–a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease and war itself.

[24] Can we forge against these enemies a grand and global alliance, North and South, East and West, that can assure a more fruitful life for all mankind? Will you join in that historic effort?

[25] In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility–I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it–and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

[26] And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you–ask what you can do for your country.

[27] My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

[28] Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God’s work must truly be our own.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:32 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Contributing to assist your fellow Americans, regardless of what you may receive in return.
I think this is right on the money.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:44 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Kennedy was a hypocrite.

After getting into office, he signed an executive order that gave Federal workers collective bargaining power.

He saw that it had been beneficial to the mayor of NYC.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:44 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What he means is the opposite of everything the Trump Admin, the GOP and the "modern" libertarians (Koch, Cato, Heritage, etc.) stand for.

That should be very easy for you to figure out...just write down what the Trump admin is doing and then put down the opposite....

Examples:
Trump thinks we should spew more pollution into the air, water and land.
JFK's "ask" would be to think of both current and future generations.

Trump has disengaged with most of the world other than bombing them or making deals with Russians.
JFK expanded greatly the Peace Corps and America gained a great rep abroad.

Etc....

No, it didn't mean War. But it does mean taxes...as they are part of ANY civil society.

The current Political Climate can be described as "what can you do for me?". JFK was saying that we'd have a better society if we all sat around and considered what we could do for others.
JFK, definitely wouldn’t consider Biden a patriot and would recognize him for the weak snake he is.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:02 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
JFK was a nationalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies