Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Naawww . . . he doesn't believe in big government. He believes in all-encompassing, humongous, gargantuan government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
I watched "Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street" instead of Obama.

I actually found the movie to be less gory, depressing and horrifying than the speech from the prez.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
Question to all the anti Obama people. Is it the spending/stimulus package that has turned you off are you still upset about the election? Would you have watched the speech last night if there was no stimulus package?

I understand being anti spending, but does that really upset you enough to no longer pay attention to other things that are important to our country right now. For example, the speech last night was very interesting and Obama spoke about education, healthcare, military, and energy. All of which I think are important for our country.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Question to all the anti Obama people. Is it the spending/stimulus package that has turned you off are you still upset about the election? Would you have watched the speech last night if there was no stimulus package?

I understand being anti spending, but does that really upset you enough to no longer pay attention to other things that are important to our country right now. For example, the speech last night was very interesting and Obama spoke about education, healthcare, military, and energy. All of which I think are important for our country.
My thoughts exactly. There are many issues that need to be fixed by the current administration leftover from the previous administration. I know spending is not always the answer (after all I'm not a total democrat). However Obama has a very tough job at the present. A position that I would not wish on anyone. Maybe we should all cut the man some slack and give him the benefit of the doubt. A little faith goes a long way.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post

I am too disgusted by the stimulus package and his intention to grow our government to pay attention to anything he has to say.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 AM

If he wanted to really address government spending, he would veto the bill that is up for vote right now. Over 9000 different pieces of pork. So all the rhetoric about how the stimulus bill doesn't have "wasteful spending" in it means nothing to me. You can't talk the talk on one bill and then not walk the walk on the very one that was introduced to slip the pork through. So if he doesn't veto that bill, that says it all to me. Just more PR stunts and cronyism.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
I would care more if he didn't say one thing and do something completely different. If he came in and did the stuff he said during all his speeches and debates, then great. His "Change" of government is just full of Clinton's people and his cabinet is so shady it makes me sick.

The Secretary of the Treasure can't pay his taxes. Does anyone else see this as a humongous problem? Either he was trying to dodge paying his taxes, he's such a moron he doesn't know how to do them properly, or he paid someone to do them and didn't even check the work done. Either way there is no way on earth this man should be in the position he's in. I've pretty much lost "Hope" after that.

Right now, I just see his press conferences as creative fiction of his speech writers. I equate his addresses to the country more to an infomercial and Vince with his SlapChop is way more entertaining.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If he wanted to really address government spending, he would veto the bill that is up for vote right now. Over 9000 different pieces of pork. So all the rhetoric about how the stimulus bill doesn't have "wasteful spending" in it means nothing to me. You can't talk the talk on one bill and then not walk the walk on the very one that was introduced to slip the pork through. So if he doesn't veto that bill, that says it all to me. Just more PR stunts and cronyism.

Notice how none of this stimulus is being paid for by slashing government. If he wants a seven hundred plus billion dollar stimulus, okay. Why do the taxpayers have to foot the entire bill? How about some cuts in government spending to help fund this? It'd make this whole thing a little easier to swallow.

He did say he wasn't for bigger government, didn't he?

Hope and change my a$$.....

Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM

Well, I want Obama to succeed. If he does, then that helps us all.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Notice how none of this stimulus is being paid for by slashing government. If he wants a seven hundred plus billion dollar stimulus, okay. Why do the taxpayers have to foot the entire bill? How about some cuts in government spending to help fund this? It'd make this whole thing a little easier to swallow.

He did say he wasn't for bigger government, didn't he?

Hope and change my a$$.....
You cannot be in the DEM party and be for anything other than big government! Social programs are the bulwark of DEM platforms! The nation just doesn't seem to see that, tho.

I have been very upset over how much this war has cost us. Well, these wars. I am not as upset over Afghanistan as Iraq. I think the whole nation feels that way. Of course, we want to support our troops but if our troops were not there . . .

So I fully realize that the war put us in debt big time (also created jobs - so that is something to factor in, as well). And I guess that is what Obama is referring to when he says he "inherited" a deficit. However, a lot of the oversight mechanisms that were eliminated occurred until Clinton's administration (leading to the financial meltdown). To me - there is blame to go around to a lot of politicians.

But I guess my thing at this point is - either Obama is gonna insist that things really do CHANGE or he doesn't. He has the power to veto crappy legislation. I think we are all backing Obama's desire for CHANGE. Whether he follows through w/ demanding the politicians IN HIS OWN PARTY march to that same drum, tho, will tell the tale, as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies