Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
I did not realize that. Can you please explain?
Also, you're kidding about the illegals taking without paying taxes, right? You know most do not pay into the system...
Everybody pays sales taxes, and most undocumented workers pay into social security without the benefit of collecting. Many don't pay income taxes, sure. But they also don't collect benefits at the same level as citizens do.

In fact, you get a "tax break" every time you buy products supported by undocumented labor. All in all, undocumented workers are a net benefit from an economic point of view. That's why even the GOP won't crack down on it seriously. We should all be thanking them while we figure out how to end the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,383 times
I wish I could be there! No way I could make it to Ft Worth by 7 though.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 AM

563 posts, read 1,449,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Everybody pays sales taxes, and most undocumented workers pay into social security without the benefit of collecting. Many don't pay income taxes, sure. But they also don't collect benefits at the same level as citizens do.

In fact, you get a "tax break" every time you buy products supported by undocumented labor. All in all, undocumented workers are a net benefit from an economic point of view. That's why even the GOP won't crack down on it seriously. We should all be thanking them while we figure out how to end the problem.
When I posted that, I was thinking employment taxes, as many illegals are hired and paid "under the table". I know, I live in the thick of it.
As far as collecting benefits, just visit any Southern California emergency room, welfare/WIC office and see the kids on free lunches at school. Wait...that last one is not obvious, as the kids have debit cards issued by the state, so you really can't tell.
I also wasn't assuming illegals in agriculture. I'm thinking of the ones in construction, recycling, gardening, auto repair, restaurant and service work, the day laborers...you know, the jobs Americans won't do.
I was also thinking of the ones dealing drugs, belonging to gangs and sneaking around transporting others deep into the country.
In California, they take much more than they "give" dollar-wise. Between crime, welfare, lost state tax revenue and burdening our schools with crime and gangs, it is a fiscal issue. It's one of the reasons California is in the financial shape it is in.
It's true that the polititians will do nothing about it...both parties. They are seen as a future voting base by one, a source of cheap labor to be utilized by the other. The Border Patrol cannot even funtion properly...in our area, they have been told to stand down.
You can thank them all you want.
Gracias por querer a inmigrantes ilegales.
It's nice that you have a romantic view of illegal immigration.

Check out more protests:
KFI AM 640 More Stimulating Talk Radio

Last edited by DezertGirl; 02-26-2009 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Additional thought and a TYPO! ACK!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
Default Protest in Washington DC tomorrow

http://newamericanteaparty.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies