Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times

Advertisements

I would say yes, (if someone just murdered my pet just to watch 'em die) but I would probably be thought of as a godless-hethenist-infidel, so I will keep my opinion to myself.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,064 times
I can't say for sure what I'd do. Never been in the situation. I'd defend my dog with everything I've got, and if I didn't kill or maim the individual, I'd set about making their life a living hell. Cynical old women can be good at thinking of ways to really f*** up someone who'd do something as idiotic as harming an animal. Hee-hee.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I have mixed feelings on this on both emotional and intellectual levels.

On one side, I do not feel that non-human animals equal or exceed humans.

Humans have greater emotional and intellectual capacity than animals (and yes, I am conceding that animals have emotions and some level of intelligence) and thus are higher in stature than animals. ).
Really? Because I have greater emotional and intellectual capacity than most human beings. Does that mean I have higher stature and therefore a greater right to life or freedom from abuse?

Btw, good post all around. Liked it! Just didn't see why greater emotional and intellectual capacity translates to greater rights...seems arbitrary.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.
I think I smell a troll.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Terriers are actually worse about biting than pits. I agree any dog who attacks me needs to be dead. Even a Chihuahua or toy poodle.
Yea, those chihuahuas and toy poodles are vicious

Old 12-21-2009, 04:54 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Please note, pit bull owners are often armed too.

As for the original question, yes I would kill someone if they were trying to kill my pet and that was the only way to stop them.

Not all human life is worth more than animals. Anyone on my property trying to kill my living property is worthy of lethal force if there are no other options. I would prefer not killing them and instead permenantly disabling them instead. Buckshot to the knee at close range would do the trick.
Hell, I like animals more than I like most people.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,867,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Really? Because I have greater emotional and intellectual capacity than most human beings. Does that mean I have higher stature and therefore a greater right to life or freedom from abuse?

Btw, good post all around. Liked it! Just didn't see why greater emotional and intellectual capacity translates to greater rights...seems arbitrary.
Well, it is somewhat arbitrary, but then again, so are the basis for all rights and authority. I do think it is somewhat reasonable to grant rights to a group according to how conscious they are and how they perceive the world.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:24 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I would say yes, (if someone just murdered my pet just to watch 'em die) but I would probably be thought of as a godless-hethenist-infidel, so I will keep my opinion to myself.
But you didn't keep your opinion to yourself.

I lean your way. Although I would hope I wouldn't kill another person, I would probably find some way to harm them if they killed or hurt one of my pets.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Please note, pit bull owners are often armed too.

As for the original question, yes I would kill someone if they were trying to kill my pet and that was the only way to stop them.

Not all human life is worth more than animals. Anyone on my property trying to kill my living property is worthy of lethal force if there are no other options. I would prefer not killing them and instead permenantly disabling them instead. Buckshot to the knee at close range would do the trick.
Thank you for saying the bolded/underlined. I am amazed at how many people think otherwise. No, people are not by default more important than animals. Some people are simply a waste of air, water and food.

My landlord has a cat that he rescued after some kids burned its tail off. In my opinion, those kids are absolutely worthless, and if they are so heartless NOW, what good will they be as adults? What possible contribution could such cretins ever make to society? They are already damaged beyond repair. Of course we can't just kill them--that should be an option given to their mothers--but you'd better believe if I caught some kids doing something like that, I would put such fear into their soulless minds that they'd be looking over their shoulders for a long time to come.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.
Not happening in CA. You can't kill an intruder coming into your home to rob you or kill you. If you do, you will endure a lenghthy trial and investigation and possible law suit from the intruder. One of the reasons we moved. My pets are my best friends, but no, I would not shoot a person over them. I may beat them soundly however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies