Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 04:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.
In a heartbeat.

Someone who would harm your pets would harm you just as easily.

My pets are secure. They are in the house. So I don't have to worry about someone shooting/poisoning/etc., them. However, my pets were not secure and someone endangered them in any way I would do *whatever it took* to ensure their safety and well being.

If someone were so very, very foolish as to trespass on my property with the intent of harming me or my pet or damaging my personal property they would be shot. No questions asked. Thank GOD for the new law in Missouri that allows me to use lethal force to protect myself and my loved ones. Including pets.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2009, 04:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,073 times
The vitriol against people and general misanthropy spewed on this thread is disturbing -- almost as disturbing as the thought of someone threatening an innocent animal. However, if said "pet" is a vicious attack dog, for example, that was itself threatening to harm a human being, then the situation would have mitigating circumstances attached to it, wouldn't it?

Sad.

I believe that, legally, you could "not" terminate someone's life for them merely threatening your pet. A restraining order against said person would be typically the proper legal recourse.

If they did indeed harm your pet, reporting such acts to the authorities and filing a tort claim (most likely in small claims court) would be another legal recourse.

I for one am glad that I enjoy the company of people and have enough people in my life to make having a pet as surrogate companionship unnecessary. I truly feel sympathy toward those on this thread who have shared that they have had to resort to such a social and emotional band aid.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:44 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If faced with the issue in court, I would have brought up slavery. Living creatures cannot be "property".
I'm afraid you're wrong there. Living creatures are bought and sold in the United States by the thousands every single day.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsa72 View Post

I believe that, legally, you could "not" terminate someone's life for them merely threatening your pet. A restraining order against said person would be typically the proper legal recourse.

If they did indeed harm your pet, reporting such acts to the authorities and filing a tort claim (most likely in small claims court) would be another legal recourse.
You are assuming a causal relationship. If this occurs in the "heat of the moment" i.e. "You better shut that GD Dog up or I'm going to blow its effing head off"; there is rarely time to engage the legal remedies you describe.

Sometimes you just have to make a judgment call. And, in the state of Missouri (and other places, Texas, too I believe), you are allowed lethal force to protect your "property" if you feel threatened in any way. Someone threatening my "property" i.e pets. is a threat against MY safety as well.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.
No. Agreed- no animal life is worth that of a human being.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsa72 View Post
The vitriol against people and general misanthropy spewed on this thread is disturbing -- almost as disturbing as the thought of someone threatening an innocent animal. However, if said "pet" is a vicious attack dog, for example, that was itself threatening to harm a human being, then the situation would have mitigating circumstances attached to it, wouldn't it?

Sad.

I for one am glad that I enjoy the company of people and have enough people in my life to make having a pet as surrogate companionship unnecessary. I truly feel sympathy toward those on this thread who have shared that they have had to resort to such a social and emotional band aid.
Ahem. Don't waste your sympathy on this particular social misfit. My dog is anything but a "surrogate" companion! She's a far superior replacement for most of the people I've ever known. Waaaaaaaay more loyal than most "human" friends. Utterly non-judgemental. Totally protective. Uncompromisingly loving and forgiving. And probably smarter than most of the people you hang out with. And most of the dog lovers I've ever known will probably agree with me when I tell you to take your sympathy and shove it.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:

But she is an animal.

My cat is on my lap and upon opening this thread hissed at you. He also had this to say...

cicdtg0yj-yu ffxzsatgopp8

Just so you understand why I'm compelled to human sacrafice your digital carcas to the bowels of ignore land. CLICK!

there there kitten. I know, mean people suck, I hate it too.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Waaaaaaaay more loyal than most "human" friends. Utterly non-judgemental. Totally protective. Uncompromisingly loving and forgiving.
That description sounds more like a slave than a companion. Really, is there an issue with dealing with other entities that may have opinions different from your own? Bascially, you value traits of unquestioning obedience, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
And probably smarter than most of the people you hang out with. And most of the dog lovers I've ever known will probably agree with me when I tell you to take your sympathy and shove it.
Oh, ho, so your dog-slave is "smarter than most people" that someone hangs out with. Sad, arrogant dysfunction.

Why am I not surprised that you are from Washington state? From my experience, the people there live in the dark, avoiding human contact, making miniature figurines (or some other craft that no one really cares about) and talking to themselves by pretending to talk to their pet-slaves.

Unless, of course, you were just kidding! In which case, funny post! Otherwise, it sounds like the person you responded to had you analyzed perfectly.

Overall, I cannot believe a discussion like this even exists.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong there. Living creatures are bought and sold in the United States by the thousands every single day.
So could slaves, once upon a time. In fact, the Supreme Court once said that they had no rights that the law was bound to respect. How times have changed!

For the better.

What is morally correct or ethically correct does not mean that that's the way the law reads.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No. Agreed- no animal life is worth that of a human being.
You got it backwards...most animal life is worth more than human beings lives. There are plenty of human beings, and many do not contribute to this planet, so what makes their lives so valuable? I judge human beings by their actions. Just because they happen to be a human being does not earn them any points with me. My dogs are loyal to me, provide me companionship, and are far more noble than many human beings. This is not "vitriol" to say I would end a human beings life if my dogs lives were threatened...it is the cold truth, and I could care less if that upsets folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies