Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLE1180 View Post
As much as I don't like those that intentionally hurt animals......No I don't think I'd kill them.

Life in jail not worth it for a dog, cat etc

Hopefully I'd have looked out for my pets enough for them not to get hurt. I hope.
It would be, I think, as though someone were threatening a family member or a child. You would probably act without thinking, to protect the innocent.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It would be, I think, as though someone were threatening a family member or a child. You would probably act without thinking, to protect the innocent.
Yah "act without thinking" - dogs do that when they bite don't they? Dogs are a lot of work - I would rather be taking care of grandchildren any day...In the mean time - My eldest daughter said "dad take the dogs for a month"......a year has passed and I just want to lounge in bed in the morning and sip on a coffee...with out having a couple of mutts staring me down and wondering when I was going to put my pants on and take them out...

Is it to much to ask to have my life back as it was? Never thought I would enter my older years as a care taker of poop machines - and the shedding - it drives me nuts....wonder what dog roast tastes like?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,350 times
^^^ hey Oleg Bach..... get a doggie door installed that leads to a fenced in area. Really does make your life so much easier, but then again, maybe you are just an ornery old fart that likes to complain. <shrugs>

Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.
I think the question should have asked, "would you", instead of, "could you".

Would I? I don't think it's legal.

Could I? I've had someone threaten my pet before and in my mind, I was definitely beating his arse. My dog was 7 months old. My dog growled at him and backed away, wanting nothing further to do with him because he smelled alcohol on this person. And that person threatened to beat my dog down. If it had been legal to kick his arse, I would have kicked his arse.

Edit: Now, if I saw someone torturing an animal, burning a kitten, dragging a dog behind their car, whatever....I'd probably end up in jail.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
^^^ hey Oleg Bach..... get a doggie door installed that leads to a fenced in area. Really does make your life so much easier, but then again, maybe you are just an ornery old fart that likes to complain. <shrugs>
Dogs don't want to just go out.

They want you to go out and pee with them.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Dogs don't want to just go out.

They want you to go out and pee with them.
But...... kids also need you to wipe their ass for them.

Kids are the most time consuming, labor intensive creatures on this earth, hands down.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.
Are you saying this just to convince yourself, or are you truly just another anthropocentric narcissist?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Why don't you come try and find out.
Could you kill a person who threatened your pet?-puppydog.jpg

Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think the question should have asked, "would you", instead of, "could you".

Would I? I don't think it's legal.

Could I? I've had someone threaten my pet before and in my mind, I was definitely beating his arse. My dog was 7 months old. My dog growled at him and backed away, wanting nothing further to do with him because he smelled alcohol on this person. And that person threatened to beat my dog down. If it had been legal to kick his arse, I would have kicked his arse.

Edit: Now, if I saw someone torturing an animal, burning a kitten, dragging a dog behind their car, whatever....I'd probably end up in jail.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
For the purposes of adding support now and donating through a will, does anyone know the main bodies that are putting serious effort into changing nationwide laws to protect pets more?

I know PETA does, for animals in general. You hear stories of shelters being a source for lab animals because they were once pets and used to people and then there are those truckloads of dogs found moving into cities for Santoria and voodoo practitioners, dogs which are found to be chipped as pets and stolen by others.

Are household pets treated differently in the law than other animals? They should be.

Not too long ago one of those horses that pulls the carriages in Central Park just dropped and died. Again. They are still being mistreated. Is there a national group that is lobbying to prevent this horror? I know the local ASPCA in NYC is, unlike others in the country, very active, but it is local. It might be good to have a national law.

I think there are studies which show some dogs as having the mental age of a five year old child. It's a shame that we cannot teach them to talk. There will be a day, I'll bet, in which we can clone more humanlike vocal chords for them. You can be certain the law would change if a dog could testify.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-18-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies