Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

But do you really think there are more child molestors now than 40 years ago?
Plenty of bad stuff happened back then. I should know, I had some of it happen to me.
I wonder a lot of the risks and crime and Horrible Stuff that could happen to your kid get a lot more publicity now than it did back in the supposed good old days.
It's almost as if the criteria for being a good parent has changed.
I remember everyone raised their eyebrows at me when I made our older son ride his bike to soccer practice. (All the other kids got rides.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 01:08 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times
I am convinced that the 50s were a better time for America. I am also convinced that our country and its people are failing fast in the 21st Century and it is a serious problem.

Many people on this thread are throwing out "strawman arguments" trying to make the original question be misunderstood. I doubt anyone believes that things in the 1950s were perfect, far from it. But things were better back then because everyone, especially Blacks, had better morals and family connections. Also that era had closer nit neighborhoods and communities. There are more isolated people who are helpless today. Look at the number of people thrown for a curve by Hurricane Katrina because they had no family or friends who could help them.

I miss the good old days of the 50s.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:30 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am convinced that the 50s were a better time for America. I am also convinced that our country and its people are failing fast in the 21st Century and it is a serious problem.

Many people on this thread are throwing out "strawman arguments" trying to make the original question be misunderstood. I doubt anyone believes that things in the 1950s were perfect, far from it. But things were better back then because everyone, especially Blacks, had better morals and family connections. Also that era had closer nit neighborhoods and communities. There are more isolated people who are helpless today. Look at the number of people thrown for a curve by Hurricane Katrina because they had no family or friends who could help them.

I miss the good old days of the 50s.
Amen, Dingler! The 50s were just better. The black community was in better shape too. They were hard working people who had really worked for themselves and had pride. They didn't go walking around in baggy clothes listening to jungle music. They made something of themselves.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM

192 posts, read 864,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Amen, Dingler! The black community was in better shape too. They were hard working people who had really worked for themselves and had pride. They didn't go walking around in baggy clothes listening to jungle music. They made something of themselves.
Oh, ouch.

Can you say "stereotyping"?

(and I'm white, by the way)

Old 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Stereotyping? How about out and out racism....sheesh!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
Baggy clothes and jungle music? What a racist! So are you saying only whites are "making something of themselves?" Your attitude is disgusting and unacceptable.

(I'm white as well)

Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I didn't know if using the R word directly toward another member is allowed... so I thought it'd be safer (and my post not likely to be deleted) if I said "stereotyping" instead.

But what you and BicoastalLabLvr said, is what I thought and meant. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I dont think the posters comment was racist at all. It was just an observation.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,371 times
2 words why we have it better today than the 50's...Hot Pockets!! Yummers!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentfloyd View Post
I dont think the posters comment was racist at all. It was just an observation.
In my opinion it was the use of the pejorative term "jungle music" that transformed the comment into a racial slur, especially since he's claiming that's what black people supposedly prefer to listen to today.

If he'd instead said "rap" or "hip-hop", the comment would have been SOMEWHAT less offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies