Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Then it gets traced back to the legal owners, and those people can never legally own a gun again in their lifetime.
Well, obviously there is a black market for guns in US, or the crimimals would not be armed to their teeth. All guns originate from the manufacturer, then they are funneled thorough the distributors and dealers to the customer. And there are two kinds os customers, legal and illegal. The illegal ones create the black market. Or how do you suppose the criminals, and now the Mexicans, get a hold of their guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
no one needs an assault weapon.

no one needs a TV, computer, politician, or car either.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
if the only point of the item in question is for killing people, I'm ok with them being outlawed. We're not talking about hunting rifles. We're talking about assault weapons.

do you know what an assault rifle is?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe, but first you need to travel to the third world country, purchase them, and then smuggle them to Mexico. The expenses would add up and the waiting time would be long.

A drug dealer can make $500 pretty quickly, can't they? Considering the amounts of money they deal with, $500 is pocket change.

But it still doesn't explain the permit and back grounds check issue. I guess there must be a sizable black market for guns in US. Some people buy them legally, and then sell them to the criminals.
These drug smugglers are already in those countries most of their time, it's no issue for them. Same way they get their grenades. You can't walk into a U.S. gun store and just buy a grenade, they're heavily regulated by the NFA. The claim that these people are getting these weapons from the U.S. is just a lie useful to the gun banners here and the incompetent Mexican government.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:44 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,542 times
Wink A little too little & little too early.

Did the President say that himself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
only the blind didn't see this one coming..

ABC News: Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
No , Eric Holder said that.

Whoops.

What did Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have to say?

And how about the Senate 2/3's vote to repeal the DC ban?
The House is next.

WE are winning.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe, but first you need to travel to the third world country, purchase them, and then smuggle them to Mexico. The expenses would add up and the waiting time would be long.

A drug dealer can make $500 pretty quickly, can't they? Considering the amounts of money they deal with, $500 is pocket change.

But it still doesn't explain the permit and back grounds check issue. I guess there must be a sizable black market for guns in US. Some people buy them legally, and then sell them to the criminals.
Guatemala,Honduras,El Salvador....all very close to Mexico.
Also as the drug gangs are already smuggling drugs into Mexico destined for the USA,it would seem to be easy enough for them to throw in a few crates of full auto rifles and grenades.

No-one seems interested in discussing the use of grenades by the gangs in Mexico,I imagine because it pokes holes in the idea the weaponry is coming from the USA.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Guatemala,Honduras,El Salvador....all very close to Mexico.
Also as the drug gangs are already smuggling drugs into Mexico destined for the USA,it would seem to be easy enough for them to throw in a few crates of full auto rifles and grenades.

No-one seems interested in discussing the use of grenades by the gangs in Mexico,I imagine because it pokes holes in the idea the weaponry is coming from the USA.
Maybe close to southern border of Mexico, but pretty fregging far from the northers Mexico where the action is. Besides, Guatemala and Belize are the only neighbors there, so if you want to smuggle them from Honduras or El Salvador, where I am sure they are easy to find, you'd have to smuggle them across two borders. It may not be a big deal, but I would assume the traffickers will buy them wherever it is easiest and fastest to get them.

But to be honest with you, I don't know how much truth there is to the allegations that the guns originate from US, and if a ban would make any difference. If the guns are from US, they are from the black market, and not legal gun dealers. Besides, I don't agree that we should change our laws to appease Mexico. I'd rather build the fence and stop the trafficking that way.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A .223 cal full metal jacket bullet will go through more sheets of drywall than you would think. A standard 7.65 mm nato rifle round will really surprise you.

I suggest all you folks interested in defensive firearms get some formal training and find a place to practice. Rifles are easy to learn but pistols are an art. The firearm is less important than the shooter.

If you ever have the misfortune to shoot someone, be prepared to do a lot of explaining and possibly face very high legal (and possibly psychiatric) fees. We take shooting people very seriously and you have to at least prove you were certain you were threatened before you shoot.
Thankfully this state is about to pass a law where if someone shoots another in self defense (like a burglar) the shooter doesn't have to PROVE anything, the state has to prove he wasn't in harms way. You know, that old innocent until PROVEN guilty thing?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
How are the Mexican drug cartels getting the drugs into Mexico?
By smuggling them...

The Drug cartels own the local police forces in many areas of Mexico.

There was a grenade attack near Acapulco just a week or so ago....
There are attacks all over Mexico by the drug gangs.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How are the Mexican drug cartels getting the drugs into Mexico?
By smuggling them...

The Drug cartels own the local police forces in many areas of Mexico.

There was a grenade attack near Acapulco just a week or so ago....
There are attacks all over Mexico by the drug gangs.
Yes, they are in business of smuggling, so you would think Salvadorian guns are only a phone call away. Besides, if they can't get guns from US, I can guarantee they will get them from someplace else. So, this will solve nothing as far as the Mexicans are concerned.

Like I said, I don't buy the story.

If that is their only justification for the ban, then I don't think it will pass Congress. Even Clinton's ban passed only by a few votes and his story was much better than this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies