Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times

Advertisements

Federal law should require that any elected federal employee send their kids to public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,826,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Voucher systems are not the way to go simply because it will take much needed money away from the public school system. . . .
Do the math. If the gov't could relieve a $12,000 per child per year cost by a simple $2000 voucher they'd have an extra $10K to spend.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Federal law should require that any elected federal employee send their kids to public school.
Yes

Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read posts 7 and 8, above. You have no clue what's going on.
So because I disagree with you I have no clue? Oh OK, great argument there

I read the articles and my opinion still stands.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Davachka, my point is that the Rs say (in numerous threads) that it's not the president's money... yet, they turn around and try to blame Obama.

School board members are VOTED in.
You do have a say.
Vouchers take money away from public school education.
I don't want my taxes paying for private (exclusive) schools when education should be inclusive.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Why would parents choose private school for their children before they even start kindergarten? Would it have something to do with the fact that it's common knowledge in various locales that the public schools undereducate students, not to mention the weak curriculum and low test scores parents have investigated? Or are you asserting that ALL of those parents are religious isolationists?
I don't care why some parents choose to send their kids to private schools. It's their choice, although the ones that do so in order to keep their children from being exposed to dangerous ideas like evolution are no doubt doing a disservice to society as a whole. Common knowledge is meanwhile frequently wrong. Perhaps more often than not in some areas. The facts are that both public and private schools run the gamut from really good to really bad, and that the good ones and bad ones of both are very likely to be found in close proximity to each other. Private schools and the vouchers to send childen there are not a panacea. They are more like a placebo.

Quote:
Hmmm...
"The only study so far, funded by the federal Department of Education, found positive but "not statistically significant" improvements in reading and math scores after the first year. But education experts agree it takes a few years for results to start showing up. In other places that have vouchers, such as Milwaukee and Florida, test scores show notable improvement. A new study on charter schools in Los Angeles County finds big academic gains when families have expanded choices for educating their kids."
It isn't any one study or set of studies that are the problem. It's that the sum of them taken from everywhere that vouchers have been tried have indicated results that consistently fall far below what voucher advocates have and still do advertise and promise. You can get some disappointing numbers out of Milwaukee and then use some right-wing cash to go in and dig up something that looks better on paper, but it doesn't change the fact that nothing really happened. No miracles. No turnarounds. No dramatic improvements. In the end it's all been a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Quote:
Refuted by the above, at least academically, by that bastion of religion , The Wall Street Journal.
No need to get hung up on religion. It was the nest in which the voucher movement was hatched. Plenty of people have been deluded since by non-religious arguments. As for the WSJ editorial page, it's not to be trusted in refutation of anything. It isn't that they are always or completely wrong, it's merely that they lie, distort, and misrepresent no less often than any other node on the disinformation network. Meanwhile, nothing that they are academically or otherwise pandering here refutes the fact that surveys in DC and other voucher locales show significantly less perception of improvement on the part of students actually involved in voucher programs than on the part of their parents. And per the implications all those studies, it tends to be the students' perceptions that are closer to the mark.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
K-12 public schools are primarily the responsibility of state and local government. Why would you want to focus on the federals and the federals only?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My tax dollars support public education.
Want to educate your kids privately? Pay for it.
Aren't you part of the group that wants people to be responsible for themselves?
But people do pay for public education without a choice. The voucher system is one of giving people choice instead of making the people pay twice. Choice is self responsiblity instead of the government making those choices.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,343,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But people do pay for public education without a choice. The voucher system is one of giving people choice instead of making the people pay twice. Choice is self responsiblity instead of the government making those choices.

I'd rather "You" pay for your kids education and I pay for "My" kids education. Elimate all government funding. Make all schools private/military. And if you don't have kids, it's more money in your pocket or to donate to the school of your choice.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
K-12 public schools are primarily the responsibility of state and local government. Why would you want to focus on the federals and the federals only?
Are you saying that Obama made a campaign promise that he had no way of keeping?

Didn't Obama promise parents that they would have the same educational choices that he and Michelle have for their children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies