Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,477,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
K-12 public schools are primarily the responsibility of state and local government. Why would you want to focus on the federals and the federals only?
Good point. In my area at least, most (all?) of our county commissioners have children in the public school system. In general, I think local leaders have some connection with what is going on in the "real world". The closer you get to DC the more of a disconnect there is, and the more the whole private school issue becomes a factor. Other areas may be a lot different, we're a small, rural district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I see. You're okay with continuing to dumb down American students. Got it.
Oh OK, that is exactly what I said . Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you always jump to conclusions and put words in other peoples mouthes? I DO believe the school system needs to improve. I DO NOT believe vouchers are the way to do it!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 AM

88,955 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
K-12 public schools are primarily the responsibility of state and local government. Why would you want to focus on the federals and the federals only?
For the same reason that federal law requires public funding for private schools for Special Ed students when the public school does not meed their educational needs. Why are non-Special Ed students second class citizens, without the same right to having their educational needs met?

And, because public funding goes to private preschools and private colleges and universities. Why those two groups and not K-12?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM

88,955 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Oh OK, that is exactly what I said . Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you always jump to conclusions and put words in other peoples mouthes? I DO believe the school system needs to improve. I DO NOT believe vouchers are the way to do it!
I sure hope you don't think you're the first person who ever thought that the public schools needed to be improved. Parents and concerned community members have been trying to get them to improve for DECADES. Not only has there been NO improvement in many cases, but the public schools have actually gotten worse.

How long do you think it's acceptable to force continuing undereducation on students? Do I need to remind you that the U.S. has HALF the number of top-performing students as other industrialized nations? And that the U.S. has the highest percentage of low-performing students? Think of the long-term implications of that.

Look at the following chart and understand that not one single state is educating even half of their students to grade-level proficiency on the NAEP. Think of the long-term implications of that.
NAEP Researchcenter - NAEP and State Equivalent Percent Table

Anyone who advocates continuing to trap students in the public schools that are undereducating them is advocating the continued dumbing down of American students. So, yeah, that's what you've agreed to.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
We have already tried ignorance with the failing public school system and are paying for it dearly. We need school choice!
No one is taking away your choice, you just get to pay for it yourself.
I don't want my tax dollars supporting private or parochial schools.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They already do.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM

17,348 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
No trouble at all. I'm glad that you were able to educate yourself. From your reports, it seems then that the President might see eye to eye on the matter of vouchers with DCPS Chancellor Rhee.

As for the handful of voucher students currently attending Sidwell Friends, the base tuition there is approximately four times the $7500 maximum voucher value, so perhaps their Financial Aid Office will be able to step in and cover this extra little bit also, should the DC pilot program not be renewed.
Maybe they'll take pity on them and let them stay. We'll see.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No one is taking away your choice, you just get to pay for it yourself.
And I don't want MY tax dollars to continue supporting failing public schools. So I guess we parents who want our kids to get a quality education have to pay TWICE: we pay taxes for the public schools AND have to foot the entire bill for a private school because the public schools are not educating. Now how fair is that? I guess you athiests would rather see our kids continue to be undereducated than to have the possibility that one cent of your tax dollars would go towards a *gasp* religious school (even though there are many secular private schools). Why is it that you athiests are the ones that get to call the shots when it comes to where tax dollars are allocated anyways? We Christians are sick and tired of you guys telling us what we can and cannot do. Not everything that's taught in the public schools is in line with our belief system but we have to pay into the public schools regardless. You know what? If the public schools were doing a better job at educating our nation's kids, then I'd have no problem paying my taxes! Unfortunately, our kids are lagging behind globally and I, as a taxpayer, am sick and tired of funding our failing public school system!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Because everyone benefits from universal public education, everyone pays for it. Doesn't matter whether you ever have kids, or if you do, whether any of them ever attends. It's not really so much different from country club dues. Membership has its priveleges. It also has its costs. These go hand in hand...
No everyone benefit from our public education, especially inner city kids who are trapped in underperforming schools with no other alternatives. These folks are the whole reason that the public school system originated and right now, the public schools are failing them! Education is power and by denying low-income children the educational opportunities that the more afluent takes for granted, we are not providing these children with a way out of poverty. I know from my own personal experiences of being undereducated and understimulated academically. I was fortunate that I was able to (barely) get into a state university and to graduate with my bachelors degree (*** laude) despite the low grade point average I had in high school. Many of our inner city youth are not so fortunate and the vicious cycle of poverty continues because our schools are NOT empowering them to make something of themselves.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The two best predictors of a child's overall performance in school are the income and educational levels of his or her parents. There are a lot of low-income, low-education parents out there. Telling tham that they're all too lazy when many of them are working a day job and then a night job six days a week just to keep those roof and food things going on is probably not going to be a productive strategy.
And you anti-voucher folks are telling these overworked parents that they cannot have a voucher for Junior to have a decent education? You expect them to foot the bill for a private education, which is impossible for many low-income folks. If they cannot afford a private education and are not happy with the public schools, then you guys are telling these overworked parents that it is up to them to demand changes in the public schools and to get involved? How are they going to find the TIME to advocate for their children to receive the education that we, the taxpayers, are footing the bill for? Don't give me any baloney about you caring about economically-disadvantaged children because you don't want to offer them other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies