Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times

Advertisements

We need a fairness doctrine to protect the voice of conservatives in the media!

I have trouble with MSNBC and Fox, but I don't think CNN is that bad. They seem to advocate most effectively for Twitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM

553 posts, read 837,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
More right wing B.S.

Newspapers lean conservative....as this report shows.

Media Matters - Black and White and Re(a)d All Over: The Conservative Advantage in Syndicated Op-Ed Columns

Sunday talk shows on TV lean right wing as this report shows.

Media Matters for America - If It's Sunday It's Still Conservative (http://mediamatters.org/sundayshowreport/ - broken link)

Yet another objective analysis coming out this Month showing the media favors the GOP

The Raw Story | 'Self-censoring' journalists gave visual nod to GOP: study

LMAO @ the George Soros shill "Media Matters" as the source of these claims!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Thes are systematic studies done in an objective manner disproving your lame right wing talking point.

You reject them not because you can find fault in their methods or conclusions....only because it conflicts with your ideology.

Really? Do you have any shame? Question your own beliefs every now and then! Rather than blaming the messenger.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekTruth View Post
The mainstream news media such as MSNBC, CBS News, ABC, NPR and CNN put out 6 positive stories for obama for every 1 positive story on John McCain. These stations never investigated obama's dealings with crook Tony Rezko, Blagovich, or connections with Bill Ayers and Raila Odinga.

What's more, surveys and public campaign donation records show about 95% of the people working for the above news agencies donate and vote for the Democrat party.

Well problems like this can always be solved by bringing back the Fairness Doctrine. Do we really want that, or is it just a matter of the shoe being on the other foot? Realistically there isn't any news on any of the networks, and hasn't been for quite a while. They still have it in other countries though, and a good shortwave radio can be had for less than the price of a good computer.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM

Here is yet another report debunking a right wing talking point about how the media is soooo biased against them.

The Myth of Pro-Obama Media Bias

Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekTruth View Post
The mainstream news media such as MSNBC, CBS News, ABC, NPR and CNN put out 6 positive stories for obama for every 1 positive story on John McCain. These stations never investigated obama's dealings with crook Tony Rezko, Blagovich, or connections with Bill Ayers and Raila Odinga.

What's more, surveys and public campaign donation records show about 95% of the people working for the above news agencies donate and vote for the Democrat party.
Well considering GE owns 80% of NBC universal and the CEO is pallin' around with Obama.... I think your answers with the movement for the fairness doctrine would be quite evident once you see the parent companies of the others...

http://people-press.org/report/188/s...ership-emerges
http://www.asne.org/kiosk/news/98jcp.htm
http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=829 (broken link)

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/images/editimg/issues04072408.gif (broken link)

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=301702713742569 (broken link)

Last edited by BigJon3475; 02-26-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM

What Think Tanks in Washington DC get quoted the most in the media ???? Right wing or left wing???..................Right wing of course!

As this report shows.

Right, Center Think Tanks Still Most Quoted

Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I would answer the question in the subject heading but when MSNBC dropped Tucker Carlson's show and CNN said bye-bye to Glenn Beck, I stopped watching them altogether except when I occasionally drop in on Lou Dobbs. I could handle a lib show but I think Olbermann acts like a juvenile comedic DJ. As far as the broadcast news, I thought Katie Couric was awful on the morning show so why would I watch her do real news?

The other two broadcast channels spend 22 minutes (30 minus commercials) on National news. I just can't be bothered to tune in to what they think is worthy to cover in 22 minutes. It's not enough time. Therefore, I think their bias rears itself in the form of omission. NPR doesn't deserve my tax money. We have too many news channels these days to have to fund one with tax dollars. I don't question their right to exist. I just say let them go commercial just like everyone else. They aren't special anymore when we're living with a bazzilion news choices that we should have to subsidize them.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
You all have to realize that the "media bias" argument was trumped up in the 60s and has been used ever since as a rallying call to garner conservative votes.

Truth be damned, there's no self-interest in changing or refuting the myth of a liberal media because it makes way too much money and power for the RNC.

Just look at the flack over Sarah Palin. I saw her interviewed the same way any other high profile person would be. I saw her - time and time and time again - reveal through her own words a complete incompetence for the national stage. Of course, when they released her to the public (knowing she wasn't ready), the McCain campaign had a "media bias" / "sexism" campaign ready to go as a way of covering up her shortcomings.

One also has to consider the fact that many conservatives view any expression that is not completely aligned with their own as "liberal", so that leaves quite a wide spectrum.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I would answer the question in the subject heading but when MSNBC dropped Tucker Carlson's show and CNN said bye-bye to Glenn Beck, I stopped watching them altogether except when I occasionally drop in on Lou Dobbs. I could handle a lib show but I think Olbermann acts like a juvenile comedic DJ. As far as the broadcast news, I thought Katie Couric was awful on the morning show so why would I watch her do real news?

The other two broadcast channels spend 22 minutes (30 minus commercials) on National news. I just can't be bothered to tune in to what they think is worthy to cover in 22 minutes. It's not enough time. Therefore, I think their bias rears itself in the form of omission. NPR doesn't deserve my tax money. We have too many news channels these days to have to fund one with tax dollars. I don't question their right to exist. I just say let them go commercial just like everyone else. They aren't special anymore when we're living with a bazzilion news choices that we should have to subsidize them.
Welcome to my World Laura...for eight years Bush squandered my tax money on an illegal, immoral war that you right wingers just cheered on and waived your American flags (cause your sooo Patriotic) as 4000+ soldiers died needlessly and you burned through 1 Trillion Dollars

So now the tables have turned. And you're whining about NPR support that is not even .00000000001% of what you wingnuts squandered on the War....LOL

Pathetic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies