Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times

Advertisements

The number of households with kids has hit a new low. Comments?

Number of households with kids hits new low - USATODAY.com

This is happening in Europe too which is why their immigration policy has come under criticism, only the issue there is Muslims, entitlements that entice immigrants, no jobs, and changing the various countries to accept Sharia law.

In the US, the writer of the article above does not mention immigration but says an older population will vote down schools. But what about the percents without two parents in the house?

And might not less children mean more spending on children all around if immigration is brought under control? You know, if you have two kids, they'll get more of everything (attention at home and in school, resouces/money) than if you have 5 and we won't need as many schools (and their resources) so the aging population won't matter as much?

Which political party benefits from less kids/an older population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,848,269 times
Don't worry. It's only the liberals who are having fewer children.
Less religion and more abortions is their mantra.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,567,763 times
Ex President Bush wasn't a talkative man, nor an eloquent speaker, nor could he pronounce "nuclear". He CERTAINLY didn't want to speak on immigration, except on very rare occasions...(and THEN, he really didn't 'say' anything....like the time the Minute Men were in the headlines...Bush's only comment?.."I don't like vigilantes"...period).

Nevetheless. on one of his VERY RARE mentions of immigration (which was his euphemism for illegal immigration) I believe I do recall Bush mentioning this very topic...something about "Good people...hard workin' people....comin' over the border, lookin' for a better life......doin' the jobs Americans won't do..And bearin' the babies Americans don't want to bear"..

Could THIS have been a passing reference to America's falling birthrate? I don't know..as USUAL, the President didn't elaborate...

Sorry, folks, but it's just a fact of nature....affluent, college-educated, sophisticated two-career couples who vacation in Europe and go trekking through Africa on their 'time off' are just NOT the kind of people who want five or six little 'rug-rats' to take care of. Extrapolate that fact out over several million people, and it's easy to see the results. Poorly educated, traditional, patriarchal third-world families have lots of kids. Affluent ones do not. (Unless you live in Utah...which most of us don't).

Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,679,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Idiocracy (2006) - Plot summary

Quote:
Joe Bauers, an Army librarian, is judged to be absolutely average in every regard, has no relatives, has no future, so he's chosen to be one of the two test subjects in a top-secret hibernation program. He and hooker Rita were to awaken in one year, but things go wrong and they wake up instead in 2505. By this time, stupid people have outbred intelligent people; the world is (barely) run by morons--and Joe and Rita are the smartest people in America.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,163,679 times
I think the economy is affecting family size. Times aren't the way they used to. There are more single-parent households and 2-parent working households are the norm, as opposed to years ago when it was more common for one parent to stay home.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,799,647 times
Wootness!!
I'm sure there might be a blip for Octomom though. She took care of my not having children.

I think the Democratic party could possibly win from this.
Conservatives, or so called Conservatives I should say, would rather everyone have a lot of kids and send them to some fundamentalist Christian school or home school them while everyone else who can't home school sends their kids to a parochial school via a voucher.

Whatever party can overhaul the entitlment systems/programs and can fairly assess property taxes (most common form of school revenue) based on how many kids a person has, whether their kids attend the school being supported by the taxes, etc then they might have a chance.

I'm never having children but I don't mind SOME of my tax dollars going towards public schools. At the same time it isn't fair that say parents of 6 are sending their kids to a school in a district where they don't pay property taxes.
I'm all for making parents pay a fee for school anyway. I think if you make people more accountable for their child's achievement in school, you will find children will do better.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I think the economy is affecting family size. Times aren't the way they used to. There are more single-parent households and 2-parent working households are the norm, as opposed to years ago when it was more common for one parent to stay home.
Exactly - I know my wife and I are working harder, smarter and longer hours to support our small family (and to make financial progress) than my parents, grandparents and great grandparents had to. The cost of a middle class or comfortable lifestyle has gone up, way up over the last 75+ years. Most of our friends from high school and college have at most one child if any at all and they're knocking on the door of being too old to have any or more.

That said, I don't know that this trend is a bad thing since the reality is that having children just for the sake of having children is ridiculous and pointless. We each have to live our own lives, and if we're going to bring into this world a new one, then we better be good stewards and have the means and will to do what is right by it.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,173,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
george bush only had two.

Wanna check stats on just WHO has abortions????

Didn't think so.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
Americans don't like the direction of the country. I'm hearing more and more people say they just don't care to bring another human into a world with the direction we are heading.

http://www.conference-board.org/econ...Confidence.cfm

Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Wootness!!
I'm sure there might be a blip for Octomom though. She took care of my not having children.
Hah, mine too! oh don't forget the awesome Duggars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies