U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM

12,643 posts, read 18,978,146 times

Advertisements

You have got to be kidding me!

I hope he gets a ton of money for this one!

This is totally out of line and inexcusable!

The waste of the Secret service time and tax payer money!

Did they ever go after anyone who has spewed venom against Bush? I should say not!

Man Pulled Over By Cops, Visited By Secret Service Over Anti-Obama Sign

Exercising First Amendment could be “construed as a threat”

Steve Watson
Infowars.net
Thursday, Feb 19th, 2009

An Oklahoma City man was pulled over by police and later visited at home by the secret service for displaying an anti-Obama sign.

According to a report in The Oklahoman, the sign, which read “Abort Obama Not the Unborn,” was seized from motorist Chip Harrison’s car by police officers who cited it as a possible “threat against President Obama”.

A lieutenant supervisor later called Mr Harrison to inform him that the Secret Service had been contacted on the matter.

When Mr Harrison returned home he found secret service agents......
Mod cut-copyright issues..Users, please click link to see the rest of the story.

Man Pulled Over By Cops, Visited By Secret Service Over Anti-Obama Sign

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 03-01-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,761,972 times
Sounds like something out of the old soviet union to me.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM

4,782 posts, read 3,394,090 times
Could you imagine what would have happened to the poor guy if they found a bottle of bleach and ammonia side by side or a copy of The Turner Diaries on his bookshelf? Scary times.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 PM

2,780 posts, read 7,406,105 times
Actually, a number of years ago there was a woman postal worker that was fired and arrested for making anti-Bush statements. A few of the locals in Kennebunkport, ME could tell you a few harrowing secret service stories. too. Nothing new.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,204,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Actually, a number of years ago there was a woman postal worker that was fired and arrested for making anti-Bush statements. A few of the locals in Kennebunkport, ME could tell you a few harrowing secret service stories. too. Nothing new.

Yeah, the laws about threatening the President were written right after the Kennedy assassination, I think.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,307,419 times
You are allowed to say you don't like the president. You are not allowed to threaten his life and they take all threats serious and the one mentioned in this thread, while unlikely that the man was serious, is borderline. The exact same thing happened all the time under Bush, you just didn't take notice.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM

12,643 posts, read 18,978,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds like something out of the old soviet union to me.
Doesn't it though. Nazi Germany here we come!

This is totally out of line and an absolute abuse of power.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM

34,990 posts, read 36,211,791 times
Oh Lord, are you trying to say OBAMA sent his winged monkeys to harass this poor man?!

You dont seem to understand, or maybe just dont want to acknowledge, that Obama gets death threats from hate groups all the time.
"Police spokesman Steve McCool said this morning that the sign was taken in error, and Oklahoma City residents should not be worried that their First Amendment rights will be violated."

''When I was on my way there, the Secret Service called me and said they weren't going to ransack my house or anything ... they just wanted to (walk through the house) and make sure I wasn't a part of any hate groups."
Yawn. What else you got?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 PM

34,990 posts, read 36,211,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Doesn't it though. Nazi Germany here we come!

This is totally out of line and an absolute abuse of power.
Abuse of power by whom, Miborn?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM

24,082 posts, read 12,267,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
You have got to be kidding me!

I hope he gets a ton of money for this one!

This is totally out of line and inexcusable!

The waste of the Secret service time and tax payer money!

Did they ever go after anyone who has spewed venom against Bush? I should say not!
You are quite right. They didn't wait for any venom. They did away with any and all protest that Bush might see, legal or otherwise.

Here is the link to one case of many. If you want an education in same, read Molly Ivins book "Bill Of Wrongs" which is full of case histories on exactly this subject, fully documented and footnoted. The Bush Gang worked like the Communists eliminating dissention.

Democracy Now! | S.C. Man Charged with Threatening the President's Safety For Holding Protest Sign

BTW - you should do a bit of googling before making rash statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies