Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Global Warming or Global Cooling
Global Cooling 17 12.50%
Global Warming 59 43.38%
I dont believe in either 60 44.12%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
As an Alaskan, you should realize just how fragile nature is. Once, while hiking alongside a glacier in Alaska, I got lost because I couldn't get my bearings to match up with the map. I realized later this was due to the fact the glacier (which was my primary location guage) had receded over one mile since the map had been printed.

The map had been printed 20 years before.

In 20 years, the glacier receded one mile.

Yeah, that's natural.
That is a load of Crap, had you been even close to the edge of the Glacier to where it would have been an issue, the Crevasses would have been far to big for you to navigate, and you use the mountain peaks on each side of a Glacier for map navigation, not melting ice. You would have to been back a lot farther than a mile if you were on a real glacier to even hike with even a slight bit of safety.

Some Glacier's have receded even father than a mile, some are still advancing, that is what they do, melt or get more snow than they can melt and get bigger.

What would you have done if the map was done when the Great Lakes were covered in ice, really be lost?

The planet is going to do what it wants to do, we aren't going to change much in spite of those that think we are some kind of God's, when we can't get the economy right.

What is "Normal" for the Earth, isn't always going to be "Normal" for us, we are only guests here for a very short time.

What really cracks me up is that almost all the mountain ranges in the world were carved by Glaciers that have long since melted over the eons, get use to it.

each one of those tiny cracks are hundreds of feet long and wide...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
Quote:
: Climate change as a scientific reality.

No it's not, they can't even set up the temperature recording stations right. They put them on airport tarmacs, next to air conditioners, burning barrels. Are there any stations that are set up to spec?

I'm sure you have all the "facts" to convince you.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That is a load of Crap, had you been even close to the edge of the Glacier to where it would have been an issue, the Crevasses would have been far to big for you to navigate, and you use the mountain peaks on each side of a Glacier for map navigation, not melting ice. You would have to been back a lot farther than a mile if you were on a real glacier to even hike with even a slight bit of safety.

Some Glacier's have receded even father than a mile, some are still advancing, that is what they do, melt or get more snow than they can melt and get bigger.

What would you have done if the map was done when the Great Lakes were covered in ice, really be lost?

The planet is going to do what it wants to do, we aren't going to change much in spite of those that think we are some kind of God's, when we can't get the economy right.

What is "Normal" for the Earth, isn't always going to be "Normal" for us, we are only guests here for a very short time.

What really cracks me up is that almost all the mountain ranges in the world were carved by Glaciers that have long since melted over the eons, get use to it.

each one of those tiny cracks are hundreds of feet long and wide...
First, why is it a load of crap that I've hiked alongside glaciers? People do it all the time. Hell, I've hiked on the glaciers too, and under them in the natural ice caves. I've avoided areas of the glaciers with enormous crevasses, but what I did is hardly impossible. I'm assuming, due to your incredulity, that you've never attempted such a thing. Just because you haven't done something doesn't mean no one else can. Plus, not all glaciers are created equal. Some are better for this than others.

Second, your attempt to divert my attention from the actual topic by instigating a personal attack essentially calling me a liar won't work. The question is about the validity of climate change. I used the glacier as an example. Your retort, that glaciers recede and grow naturally, is indeed true. However, the loss of a mile of glacier in 20 years time is not normal and points to an issue larger than you're willing to admit (or even possibly see given the enormous blinders you wear limiting your peripheral vision).

By the way, here are people on glaciers:

This ain't impossible.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
No it's not, they can't even set up the temperature recording stations right. They put them on airport tarmacs, next to air conditioners, burning barrels. Are there any stations that are set up to spec?

I'm sure you have all the "facts" to convince you.
Then give me examples, not hearsay. Where are they next to air conditioners or burning barrels? What are the specs for temperature recording stations? What are your "facts?" Do you have any "facts?" Do you even know what "fact" really is? Do you know the difference between fact and truth?

C'mon man, this is what you write: "Hearsay, hearsay, hearsay, something ridiculous about burning barrels, hearsay."

Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Then give me examples, not hearsay. Where are they next to air conditioners or burning barrels? What are the specs for temperature recording stations? What are your "facts?" Do you have any "facts?" Do you even know what "fact" really is? Do you know the difference between fact and truth?

C'mon man, this is what you write: "Hearsay, hearsay, hearsay, something ridiculous about burning barrels, hearsay."
Sometimes it's best if you be silent and be thought a fool than to post stuff like this and remove all doubt.

Here are some pictures of hearsay for ya sport.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Sometimes it's best if you be silent and be thought a fool than to post stuff like this and remove all doubt.

Here are some pictures of hearsay for ya sport.

Whatever kiddo (I'm assuming we're applying condescending monikers to each other because it makes our position more valid?). You choose an isolated station in Tahoe City where the thermometer is more than 30 feet away from an ac unit? You decry that the thermometer's near a tennis court when it's already in a desert?! Hah! The surface temperature anywhere near there is just as hot!

Even if your skewed info were correct, one exception doesn't prove a hypothesis. This one isolated site would be considered an aberration in data and tossed out.

What's your right-wing agenda website where you sourced your material?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Whatever kiddo (I'm assuming we're applying condescending monikers to each other because it makes our position more valid?). You choose an isolated station in Tahoe City where the thermometer is more than 30 feet away from an ac unit? You decry that the thermometer's near a tennis court when it's already in a desert?! Hah! The surface temperature anywhere near there is just as hot!

Even if your skewed info were correct, one exception doesn't prove a hypothesis. This one isolated site would be considered an aberration in data and tossed out.

What's your right-wing agenda website where you sourced your material?
Show me one that is positioned within the required specs. I'm not going to continue to post pics of shelters that are not, there are hundreds of them. But you would know that wouldn't you.

My agenda is truth and facts, what are yours?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Please google "Little Ice Age"

Thank you

Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
First, why is it a load of crap that I've hiked alongside glaciers? By the way, here are people on glaciers:

This ain't impossible.
Well for starters, you claim you were "Lost" because the map didn't show the ice receding.... How in the world did you get there... by accident?

You had to arrive, either by car (in some cases you can drive up by them), Aircraft (Where you can see the lay of the land) or hike in (Where you had to know were you were at to get there). So to not know where you were at is too much of a stretch when all of the Alaskan Glaciers have mountains sticking up on either side for a point of reference.

To say you were disorientated by the lack of "Ice", would be like me giving directions to someone in the city to "Turn Left at the red parked car", which may or may not be there when you arrive at that turn.

So I have to deuce one of some things...

A. You have no idea on how to read a map.

B. You have never been on a Glacier in Alaska.

C. In Texas there isn't any real mountains for you to know how to take a bearing on a map... and to claim you were "Disorientated" on a Glacier is a bogus claim because you didn't realize that fact that the mountains are there in the first place, otherwise you would have known that little fact...

So which one is it?

Oh, and people die on the Glaciers often enough because they do have cracks in them under the snow from the constant movement that they have from the snow load "Up stream" that pushed them constantly downward. So yes, there are people on Glaciers as your pictures show, there just isn't too many "Smart" people on Glaciers... Unless the go towards the head of the Glacier where the snow pack is newer and the ice is fairly stable and the large cracks haven't developed yet.

And at times, all throughout history, Glaciers can and do "Runaway", that is where a glacier will travel a few hundred yards a day, such as the Black Rapid Glacier did in the 1950's when the "Cold" was still cold.

Yes Glaciers melt, so what, that is what makes the mountains get cut down, without the melting process, the ice won't move to cause the erosion. That has been going on for millions of years, not the last 100 or so that the "Chicken Little's" are using as a ruler for the "Sky is falling"...

Glaciers come and go and have done so over the eons... as the Earth heats up and cools down, in spite of us.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Show me one that is positioned within the required specs. I'm not going to continue to post pics of shelters that are not, there are hundreds of them. But you would know that wouldn't you.

My agenda is truth and facts, what are yours?
Bullhead AZ, was constantly the hottest place in the US, until they moved the temp sensor away from the ashalt back onto the grass, was cool enough to drop the temp to where they dropped off the map as the constant "Hottest Place in the US"...

But that bogus data was used for years as "Correct", now we should be showing "Global Cooling" since it was moved... (that is a joke for those that can't grasp the humor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies