Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,513,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The H2 and H3 will unlikely make it to 300,000 miles but the H1 is damn near indestructible! A friend of mine owns a 1993 Hummer H1 and has over 270,000 miles and it still runs great!
Agree, but the H1 was a completely different vehicle and likely cost a lot more per mile to operate than the H2. All of the H1's were diesel, which is even more difficult to compare to a hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 PM

452 posts, read 1,134,058 times
Quote:
the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery
I do not think any part for the Hummer gets shipped around the world using vast amounts of energy and resources. They included ALL aspects of each vehicle.

Quote:
The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.
The 100,000 miles is based on Toyota's own account of the Prius lasting that long.

Quote:
vademsandi
I am seriously going to need some real references on this one because I just do not believe you. Where have you compiled these facts from? Your story should be national, why is it here?
Do you really think that the Main Stream Media is going to run this story...Please

Quote:
pslOldTimer
A little math using the articles numbers indicates the Prius has a total cost of $325,000 over 100,000 miles and the Hummer has a cost of $585,000 over 100,000 miles. If a more realistic figure of 150,000 miles is used for each vehicle, the comparable costs are 3.90 per mile for the Hummer and 2.17 per mile for the Prius.

The article is biased and slanted and proves nothing except that figures lie and liars figure.
I think you just called yourself a liar.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
I think you just called yourself a liar.
Very funny. However, not very logical. For that to be true, I would have had to say, "All those who figure are liars." My statement was that liars figure; so do butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. That I figure does not make me a liar. At the same time, the statement also does not say that liars always figure.

Go back and read it again, and this time, think about the logical permutations.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The 100,000 miles is based on Toyota's own account of the Prius lasting that long.
You state that with such certainty that I can only assume you have a reference. I'm going to have to see it -- otherwise, it's just your assumption.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 AM

452 posts, read 1,134,058 times
Quote:
pslOldTimer
You state that with such certainty that I can only assume you have a reference. I'm going to have to see it -- otherwise, it's just your assumption.
Quote:
the expected lifespan of the Hybrid
Its in the article...The battery is only expected to last 100,000 miles. This means that if you include two batteries so that the Prius has a total of 300,000 miles(3 batteries total) compared to the hummer...The Pruis is even worse.

I am just going to assume that you’re the type of person who likes to call everyone liars based solely on you not agreeing with logical facts and figures.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,676,053 times
Quote:
Its in the article...The battery is only expected to last 100,000 miles. This means that if you include two batteries so that the Prius has a total of 300,000 miles(3 batteries total) compared to the hummer...The Pruis is even worse.
Moving right along...

That's the real problem with hybrids. There hasn't really been a fundamental advance in the technology of batteries.

Somebody needs to get back in the lab and get their hands dirty, instead of fiddling with their PowerPoint Presentation.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 AM

875 posts, read 1,352,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
My DW is a home health professional who drives a Scion (by Toyota) Xa. This is a big car for her; it has 1500cc. Most or her previous cars were 1300cc.

I drive a huge van -- a Sprinter converted to an 8,000 self contained RV. On the other hand, it's powered by a Mercedes diesel and gets 23+ MPG. I drive it as little as possible, always taking the smaller car when we are traveling locally.
Had to ask, what a DW? The only thing I could think of was darling wife. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,923,261 times
i dont have anything against a person buying a Prius, just wonder why if they are so into saving the environment why they buy a car at all. But all have a right to buy and drive what they like, just as long as they know that people who drive SUVs(Hummers included) have the same right to choose the car they liked to drive.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Its in the article...The battery is only expected to last 100,000 miles.
From this, you derive the statement that the car is only going to last 100,000 miles? The battery is only on e component, and is a component universally recognized as a consumable, like tires and windshield wipers. The gasoline engine component and the electric motor component will certainly last much longer than 100,000 miles on average.

Further, you have not addressed my challenge that a life expectancy for a gussied-up Tahoe like the Hummer will not last 300,000 miles.

Quote:
I am just going to assume that you’re the type of person who likes to call everyone liars based solely on you not agreeing with logical facts and figures.
Why would you assume that? So far, it's me that's showing that your figures or not logical.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Had to ask, what a DW? The only thing I could think of was darling wife. Thanks!
Good guess. You're correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies