Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 AM

452 posts, read 1,133,187 times

Advertisements

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage
By Chris Demorro
Staff Writer

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world how much they care. Unfortunately for them, their ultimate ‘green car’ is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer.
Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius.

The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76 horsepower, 1.5-liter gas engine found in most cars today and a battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower and a whooping 295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially, the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell you, it takes more energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving. The battery is recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great energy efficient and environmentally sound car, right?

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188 (broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 03-21-2007 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: quote shortened for copyright protection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,151,885 times
That kind of makes me proud to drive an Excursion....

(And we'd never be able to pull a camper with the Prius anyway, or fit all 6 of our family.)

Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,915,641 times
and check the news today, recall on Toyota hybrids!!!

gopadge, you went to Clemson? thats the school most of my fam is SC goes to.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:58 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
We could probably save more energy than all the Priuses(Priusi?) in the world if people would get up off their butts and walk when they're only going 1/2 a mile or so for a newspaper, quart of mik, etc. Better for the heart too

Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,509,414 times
There are some serious fallacies in that article that may escape a casual reading. I'm not going through it word-for-word, but two that especially jump out concern the batteries and the cost per mile.

The nickel mines in Canada may well be environmental dead zones; I don't know. But, I do know that their output is not just for the Prius batteries -- they were producing nickel long before conception of the Prius and would continue to do so regardless of whether the Prius exists. Therefore, to equate that environment with the Prius in disingenuous at best and ludicrous at worst.

The cost per mile is based on unsupported underlying figures that the Prius will only last 100,000 miles while the Hummer will last 300,000 miles. Considering that the Hummer is built by one of the worst car companies in the world when it comes to longevity (GM) and the Prius is built by one of the best (Toyota), I have serious doubts about those numbers. I would expect most Hummers to be long on the scrap heap when most Toyotas as still running. A little math using the articles numbers indicates the Prius has a total cost of $325,000 over 100,000 miles and the Hummer has a cost of $585,000 over 100,000 miles. If a more realistic figure of 150,000 miles is used for each vehicle, the comparable costs are 3.90 per mile for the Hummer and 2.17 per mile for the Prius.

The article is biased and slanted and proves nothing except that figures lie and liars figure.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM

32 posts, read 56,251 times
I am seriously going to need some real references on this one because I just do not believe you. Where have you compiled these facts from? Your story should be national, why is it here?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:57 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,672,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post

The nickel mines in Canada may well be environmental dead zones; I don't know. But, I do know that their output is not just for the Prius batteries -- they were producing nickel long before conception of the Prius and would continue to do so regardless of whether the Prius exists. Therefore, to equate that environment with the Prius in disingenuous at best and ludicrous at worst.
That's right. Nickel is used to electroplate all kinds of things, and makes up 10 - 30% of most types of stainless steel. 1000 tons is a spit in the ocean.

And, you will likely get more than 100 K miles out of a Toyota. I once worked on this girlfriend of mine's that had more than 3 times that, and it was far from a wreck.

That being said, I'll also say that I have my own doubts about hybrid vehicles. I think that the environmentally conscious would do better to drive a well maintained sub compact standard car that gets good mileage. And, to avoid driving, period, when possible.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,446,977 times
Sudbury has been a dead zone for at least 30-40 years.
I doubt the Civilian Hummer will get 300,000 miles if it is used for anything except taking the kids to soccer.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,509,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I think that the environmentally conscious would do better to drive a well maintained sub compact standard car that gets good mileage. And, to avoid driving, period, when possible.
My DW is a home health professional who drives a Scion (by Toyota) Xa. This is a big car for her; it has 1500cc. Most or her previous cars were 1300cc.

I drive a huge van -- a Sprinter converted to an 8,000 self contained RV. On the other hand, it's powered by a Mercedes diesel and gets 23+ MPG. I drive it as little as possible, always taking the smaller car when we are traveling locally.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,717,671 times
Quote:
I doubt the Civilian Hummer will get 300,000 miles if it is used for anything except taking the kids to soccer.
The H2 and H3 will unlikely make it to 300,000 miles but the H1 is damn near indestructible! A friend of mine owns a 1993 Hummer H1 and has over 270,000 miles and it still runs great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies