Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

This is good news.
Clip:
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is sending strong signals that President Obama - who as a candidate said states should be allowed to make their own rules on medical marijuana - will end raids on pot dispensaries in California.
U.S. to yield marijuana jurisdiction to states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
State Medical Cannabis Laws are Final!
Return of Legal Cannabis Not Pre-empted by Federal Law
The U.S. Supreme Court refused to review a landmark decision yesterday in which California state courts found that its medical cannabis law is not preempted by federal law. The Supreme Court's decision in Garden Grove v. Superior Court means that federal law does not prevent state and local governments from implementing medical cannabis laws adopted by voters or state legislatures. In short: federal law does not override state law on medical cannabis!

Speaking at a press conference on Feb. 25 with DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters that ending federal medical marijuana raids "is now American policy."
This came as a response to Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) raids carried out by Bush Administration holdovers in California in January and February.

President Obama indicated he would end the DEA raids during his presidential campaign, a position reiterated by the White House following DEA raids in raids which took place on February 4. In response to a question last night about DEA raids at medical marijuana facilities in California, Holder said, "What the President said during the campaign...is consistent with what we will be doing here in law enforcement. He was my boss in the campaign....He is my boss now. What he said in the campaign is now American policy."

Medical marijuana patients and advocates, who have mounted a massive grassroots campaign to influence the new Administration’s policy, cheered the Attorney General’s comments. 72 million Americans live in states where medical cannabis is legal, but federal law prohibits its use under any circumstances. More than 100 Americans are currently facing prosecution, sentencing, or serving time in prison for medical cannabis offense right now.

MMPI

Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Look...I am very, very pro-pot. In college I would much rather puff a little than drink. Even now if it was socially acceptable. I always felt in more control than when I was drinking. Relaxed, etc. Makes funny things funnier. Music sounds better (or maybe just hear certain parts of the music easier). Makes sex better.

But lets drop the "medical marijuana" part of it (even though it does have some very good results for certain ailments) and call it what it is. A drug...just like alcohol. Why should I have to try to find a doctor that would be willing to prescribe it to me instead of just going to a store, showing ID and being like "hey...I want a 1/8 of the kush right there. I feel like laying low and relaxing tonight".

Like the NatGeo Explorer episode on Marijuana...one guy had a doctor's note for weed that they buy in "Oaksterdam". He said he broke his pinky finger like 4 years ago or something so he has a doctor's note to buy the pot.

Just let us buy it like alcohol.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
One more good change thanks to electing an intelligent president.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Here in Maine I understand its medical use is already legal...but the catch 22 is that there are no legal ways to obtain it. I believe it may once again be on the ballot to liscence and authorize dispensories.

I would thnk the state should maintain a monopoly on it and let it be a source of revenue in a cash strapped state. I would also be in favor of making it legal.....not just for medical purposes....but one thing at a time.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
An elderly relative told me about this- and she is thrilled. She won't take sleeping medication BC it leaves her groggy, but has used pot- "just a few puffs"- to help. Problem is, it's hard for a 78 YO lady to score, I'd imagine- LOL!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Rep. Barney Frank introduced a House bill Wednesday that would end federal penalties for Americans carrying fewer than 100 grams, or about a quarter-pound, of marijuana.

Rep. Barney Frank's intern, Avery Morrow, says Frank joked that his bill didn't have a "high chance" of passing.

Current laws targeting marijuana users place undue burdens on law enforcement resources, punish ill Americans whose doctors have prescribed the substance and unfairly affect African-Americans, the Democrat from Massachusetts said.

CNN.com asked iReporters to share their views on Frank's proposed bill, and to talk about marijuana laws in the U.S. Below is a selection of their responses, some of which have been edited for length and clarity.

Marijuana bill sparks debate among iReporters - CNN.com

Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Look...I am very, very pro-pot. In college I would much rather puff a little than drink. Even now if it was socially acceptable. I always felt in more control than when I was drinking. Relaxed, etc. Makes funny things funnier. Music sounds better (or maybe just hear certain parts of the music easier). Makes sex better.

But lets drop the "medical marijuana" part of it (even though it does have some very good results for certain ailments) and call it what it is. A drug...just like alcohol. Why should I have to try to find a doctor that would be willing to prescribe it to me instead of just going to a store, showing ID and being like "hey...I want a 1/8 of the kush right there. I feel like laying low and relaxing tonight".

Like the NatGeo Explorer episode on Marijuana...one guy had a doctor's note for weed that they buy in "Oaksterdam". He said he broke his pinky finger like 4 years ago or something so he has a doctor's note to buy the pot.

I agree. Totally. It's stupid otherwise. It's not like marijuana being illegal stops people from using it. It's not like non-users are suddenly going to have an overwhelming urge to start smoking pot just because it's legal. But it sure would put a MAJOR dent in the drug trade. And just think of the BILLIONS that could be collected from the 5% tax on it.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
I look at marijuana as less of drug then alcohol due to less processing involved. Alcohol is also much more dangerous to not only the users but to other ppl (drunk driving). Driving stoned is very easy IMO. Now with much healthier options available such as eating or vaporizing the health risks with marijuana are virtually nill.

Sure some ppl become dependent on it, but those same ppl would become dependent on paint thinners if thats all that was available.

Enough with the "medical" though, just legalize it! It looks like it will happen in my lifetime I am proud to say!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post

Ya, in many places in CA you can just tell a doctor you have depression and he will prescribe marijuana. It's not like much worse drugs (antidepressants) haven't been legally prescribed to (and killed or messed up) many kids who told the doctor they were depressed, when there's no way to test for a chemical imbalance. Marijuana is much less harmful than prozac, aspirin, or practically any other RX or OTC drug there is. This is not only a rights issue, it's also a health issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies