Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
 
13,717 posts, read 20,912,846 times
Reputation: 7717

Advertisements

Quote:
Congratulations arent necessary for a lobby group, but they are due those in DC who have been victimized by their city in addition to crime. Maybe if you put down the bong you would notice that crime is highest where gun control is strictest & if anything it aids criminal enterprise.
New Orleans and Richmond might jive with that statement. DC has traditionally had a good deal of crime because it has a lot of ghettos with a perpetual drug turf war and a very, very inept police force.


While I see what you are getting at, you would be shocked to learn that the vast majority of people in DC agree with the gun restrictions. I realize you find that insane and unfathomable, but most DC residents do not see themselves as victimized. Its a consensus thing.

Your points re rights have their merits and I suspect they will win out in end. But let's be realistic. The average Washingtonian is not going to march into the slums like Gary Cooper and confront the drug gangs. Nor would you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: In a house
4,974 posts, read 8,461,461 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
New Orleans and Richmond might jive with that statement. DC has traditionally had a good deal of crime because it has a lot of ghettos with a perpetual drug turf war and a very, very inept police force.


While I see what you are getting at, you would be shocked to learn that the vast majority of people in DC agree with the gun restrictions. I realize you find that insane and unfathomable, but most DC residents do not see themselves as victimized. Its a consensus thing.

Your points re rights have their merits and I suspect they will win out in end. But let's be realistic. The average Washingtonian is not going to march into the slums like Gary Cooper and confront the drug gangs. Nor would you.
I dont think I implied I would or they should. Although I do generally go where I want when I want more than I might if I lived in a place like DC where effective self defense is a crime.
What the populace wants & what it can have are two different things. The same restrictions that wont let a municipality, even with 100% aproval of the populace, outlaw Mosques or forbid free speech are in place to prevent exactly what DC has done.
Its pretty sad that the consensus is that rights are meaningless, but the reality is that it is their consensus which is obviously meaningless, beyond exposing the general lack of a desire to respect the rights of others that seem so prevelent in our large cities.

It would be nice if once they are slapped aside & their illegal legislation overturned, again, that a US Federal prosecutor make an example out of them. I'm quite sure there are folks in prison because of these laws & THAT is the greatest crime of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
 
1,535 posts, read 1,640,381 times
Reputation: 385
The reason DC had the gun ban was all the politicians are worried somebody might not like there way of voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
 
3,645 posts, read 9,248,009 times
Reputation: 2788
Gee I'm glad this was put in the "hobby" thread instead of the "political/controversial" thread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
 
13,717 posts, read 20,912,846 times
Reputation: 7717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I dont think I implied I would or they should. Although I do generally go where I want when I want more than I might if I lived in a place like DC where effective self defense is a crime.
What the populace wants & what it can have are two different things. The same restrictions that wont let a municipality, even with 100% aproval of the populace, outlaw Mosques or forbid free speech are in place to prevent exactly what DC has done.
Its pretty sad that the consensus is that rights are meaningless, but the reality is that it is their consensus which is obviously meaningless, beyond exposing the general lack of a desire to respect the rights of others that seem so prevelent in our large cities.

It would be nice if once they are slapped aside & their illegal legislation overturned, again, that a US Federal prosecutor make an example out of them. I'm quite sure there are folks in prison because of these laws & THAT is the greatest crime of it all.
Perhaps you would take your perspective and apply it to dry counties? Alcohol is legal throughout the Union thanks to the 21st Amendment. Yet more than a few municipalities ban its sale. A gun is a lot more antisocial than a Bud, no?

In any case, the law was struck down by the SCOTUS. Congress is now playing around with it, so its presently a law in flux with an inevitable outcome that will be probably be to your liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM
 
Location: In a house
4,974 posts, read 8,461,461 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Perhaps you would take your perspective and apply it to dry counties? Alcohol is legal throughout the Union thanks to the 21st Amendment. Yet more than a few municipalities ban its sale. A gun is a lot more antisocial than a Bud, no?

In any case, the law was struck down by the SCOTUS. Congress is now playing around with it, so its presently a law in flux with an inevitable outcome that will be probably be to your liking.

I guess that would be a great analogy IF drinking was a constitutionally protected right.
I would strongly disagree that a gun is more antisocial than a drink.
I'v seen countless fights break out in bars & at parties where folks were drinking. To date I'v NEVER seen a fight in a gun store, at a range, gun show or anyplace that guns are all over the place. On the contrary, for the most part shooters are some of the politest & respectful people I think I'v ever met. The vision that some have of gun enthusiasts being
"Joe sixpacks" or social misfits is unfounded. There will always be some unsavory folks in any bunch, but I'd trust a guy I ran into at the range every evening alot more than a guy I saw going into the bar each afternoon & I'd trust either a looong time before I trusted a politician & I'd trust a man who supports violating civil rights least of all.

Weather or not I like the outcome is irrelevant, what matters is that it respect peoples civil rights, regardless of who does or does not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,207,875 times
Reputation: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Gee I'm glad this was put in the "hobby" thread instead of the "political/controversial" thread


Why the rolling eyes?

Preservation of a benign hobby seems to be an appropriate subject.
Justice Scalia used phases like " in general use at the time" and for " all lawful purposes" in the landmark DC v Heller ruling. The SCOTUS document also mention legit activites like hobby shooting ,along with pre-induction military training , self -defense and community defense against criminal activity as lawful purposes.
In this case a benign hobby is very widely recognized as having a number of social benefits .

There are a great many new gun-owners these days. It's not 1994 anymore.

Attacking legit gun owners and advocating government harrassment of their activities is not the satisfying pasttime that it was 10 or 12 years ago. Clinton era style " gun control" is dead. , it's a pathetic lost cause for losers.

Have a good cry and get over it .


And , find a new hobby.



Last edited by gbear48; 03-13-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 09:06 AM
 
13,717 posts, read 20,912,846 times
Reputation: 7717
Quote:
I guess that would be a great analogy IF drinking was a constitutionally protected right.
Pour yourself a cold one and review the 21st Amendment of the US Constitution. And then be thankful I do not introduce drug legalization as an analogy.

Quote:
I would strongly disagree that a gun is more antisocial than a drink.
I'v seen countless fights break out in bars & at parties where folks were drinking.
And sometimes those folks bring their guns with them. Sorry, but I do not see how drinking a few beers and throwing a punch is in the same universe as pulling out a gun and blowing someone's head off.



Quote:
To date I'v NEVER seen a fight in a gun store, at a range, gun show or anyplace that guns are all over the place. On the contrary, for the most part shooters are some of the politest & respectful people I think I'v ever met. The vision that some have of gun enthusiasts being
No, it seems high schools and places of employment are where the psychos excercising their civil rights are to be found.

"
Quote:
Joe sixpacks" or social misfits is unfounded. There will always be some unsavory folks in any bunch, but I'd trust a guy I ran into at the range every evening alot more than a guy I saw going into the bar each afternoon & I'd trust either a looong time before I trusted a politician & I'd trust a man who supports violating civil rights least of all.

Weather or not I like the outcome is irrelevant, what matters is that it respect peoples civil rights, regardless of who does or does not like it.
Your concern for civil rights is admirable TinKnocker and I say that without irony. Since we are talking about Washington, DC, I expect you to support the good people there in the quest to achieve voting representation in Congress. Voting is a civl right, no? Should not people whom are taxed be fairly represented? I suspect we will get you signed up for the cause. Unless all of this civil rights talk is just a smoke screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
 
809 posts, read 1,207,875 times
Reputation: 138
All US citizens are entitled to both representation and the protections inherent in the Bill of Rights.

One law , with amendments , can cover both bases for citizens who live in DC.
The current situation is just wrong. DC gun-grabbers are especially lawless and corrupt.

2 wrongs: one right law can fix both.

Lawsuits can continue to fix the 2nd Amendment violation problem in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM
 
13,717 posts, read 20,912,846 times
Reputation: 7717
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
All US citizens are entitled to both representation and the protections inherent in the Bill of Rights.

One law , with amendments , can cover both bases for citizens who live in DC.
The current situation is just wrong. DC gun-grabbers are especially lawless and corrupt.

2 wrongs: one right law can fix both.

Lawsuits can continue to fix the 2nd Amendment violation problem in other cities.
I tend to agree. I am simply plucking a few holes in TinKnocker's argument. Not the whole thing, mind you, as he does raise some fair points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top