Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
The rub here is only liberal parents have to rely on their kids to pay their nursing home bill. Conservative folks already have their care taken care of. Ooops!! LOL.
So you may think. See how fast your kids turn "liberal" in order to support you in the NH. I don't know what they cost nowadays; 10 years ago when my mom was in one it was ~ $3000/mo. So you divest yourself of your assets so you can qualify for medicaid. BTW, my mom was only in a month; she paid for it.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
My uncle was 65 when they told him he would need an operation to save his life. They also told him that although it would save his life, he would probably be an invalid in a nursing home for the rest of his days. He asked how long he would have without it. They told him six months to a year, maybe.

He got dressed and walked out of the hospital. He went out and did everything he had not yet done in his life. His family begged and pleaded with him to have that operation. He told them that he had lived his life and he would rather have 6 more months as a fully functioning human being than another 10 years as a vegetable in a nursing home. When he did die 8 months later, the only bills that had to be paid for was his funeral, which didn't cost his family one single dime.

I was in my 30s when all this happened. I said to myself at the time that I agreed with what he did. I was very much alone in that view among the family. I am 60 now and agree with what he did even more now.

So who says that that the "old folks" want the kiddies to take care of them in their invalid years? Not me. I would rather be dead. It should be up to the individual involved in how they want to spend, or not spend, their remaining years on this earth.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Like we have time to teach this when we have numerous state tests from 3rd grade and on. At least here in NY state. I teach 1st grade, and even that runs on an extremely strict schedule from start to finish. I don't even have time to teach character education, which is the most important thing to teach young kids.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My uncle was 65 when they told him he would need an operation to save his life. They also told him that although it would save his life, he would probably be an invalid in a nursing home for the rest of his days. He asked how long he would have without it. They told him six months to a year, maybe.

He got dressed and walked out of the hospital. He went out and did everything he had not yet done in his life. His family begged and pleaded with him to have that operation. He told them that he had lived his life and he would rather have 6 more months as a fully functioning human being than another 10 years as a vegetable in a nursing home. When he did die 8 months later, the only bills that had to be paid for was his funeral, which didn't cost his family one single dime.

I was in my 30s when all this happened. I said to myself at the time that I agreed with what he did. I was very much alone in that view among the family. I am 60 now and agree with what he did even more now.

So who says that that the "old folks" want the kiddies to take care of them in their invalid years? Not me. I would rather be dead. It should be up to the individual involved in how they want to spend, or not spend, their remaining years on this earth.
Well, ya can't just shoot them. Not everyone is as fortunate as your uncle. That is pretty much how all of us would like to go, but it doesn't always happen that way.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you divest yourself of your assets so you can qualify for medicaid. BTW, my mom was only in a month; she paid for it.
Nope. I don't play the game that way. I'll have insurance and I'll pay the rest myself. I'm not going to sell my soul to the nursing home and leave my kids with nothing.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Like we have time to teach this when we have numerous state tests from 3rd grade and on. At least here in NY state. I teach 1st grade, and even that runs on an extremely strict schedule from start to finish. I don't even have time to teach character education, which is the most important thing to teach young kids.
Sure you do. You can mix in these simple economics lessons with math class or any other class. You don't have to make it a separate unit. You always have time to mix in character development.

The teachers in the nearby city here say they're overworked too. But when Obama came to town for a rally, nearly half the teachers found the time to leave school and go.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Of course it is important to teach fiscal responsibility. It is also important to teach that we live in a society that is bigger than just ourselves and our immediate families, and it is important that all contribute to make this society a better place instead of just spitting on those less fortunate. And no... private charities are nowhere near enough.

This past decade and especially the past couple years should be teaching valuable lessons that you can depend on yourself and make the right moves and still end up getting the royal shaft and needing assistance from others. Our current model of tossing people by the side of the road like garbage and driving on by because "that could never happen to me, I'm a hard worker and intelligent person" is starting to get a real hard look by people. Unfortunate it takes hard times like this to make it happen.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Biggest problem I can see with your story is it's based on a lie. The top 5% earners pay 60% of the taxes while receiving less than 37% of the income. Wouldn't a "disproportionate tax cut for the wealthy" have to take that tax percentage down below 37%?

Lefties aren't real good with numbers, are they?
I'm not a "lefty". I think you meant to respond to MrBob's post.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Nope. I don't play the game that way. I'll have insurance and I'll pay the rest myself. I'm not going to sell my soul to the nursing home and leave my kids with nothing.
That's a VERY arrogant assumption that I hope works out for you....you NEVER know what tomorrow may bring for you and you may live to regret those high minded words.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM

358 posts, read 472,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That's a VERY arrogant assumption that I hope works out for you....you NEVER know what tomorrow may bring for you and you may live to regret those high minded words.
I can asure you MS, eeeee, aka sunklehammer, has feasted on crow to the point it is almost a staple. You like the ignore option, believe me, you will use it soon on him. It is not if but when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies