Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:11 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^^
Whatever it takes. Short-term government investment and infrastructure spending to save failing private institutions is not the craziest idea ever attempted.

That's all well and good widowmaker (disturbing...), but the fact is that we are only 130 years removed from slavery and only 50 years removed from absolute bigotry and subjugation of black people as sub-human unable to even share a drinking fountain.

The black journey in the U.S. is nothing like Hispanic or Asian or Indian (from India). It would not be that big of a deal, for example, if Jindal became president.

We've had a hard, long, bigoted journey getting to this point. It is worthy of celebrating the triumph of the United States living up to its philosophical promise and people from all walks of life voting for a man based on his character and demonstrated ability to lead.

And if you think it's just because he's black, then Jesse Jackson would have been elected ages ago.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Don't you think that's a little racist? Elect anybody else and it's just another new president, but elect a black man and all of a sudden it's a triumph that the "majority saw past the color of his skin."
Read a book of American History and you will see why electing Obama as the 1st black president means so much to most Americans (not all)

You talk as if there never was slavery, Jim Crow, lynchings, ghettos, etc.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^^
I actually disagree with the notion that we should be color blind. I have friends of different races and I don't forget their different races. They are often proud of their heritage in the same way I'm proud of mine.
The point of being color blind is to see your friends as "Mike the dentist that likes car and travelling" instead of "The short black guy that doesn't talk like a black guy"

Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
It has nothing to do with forgetting history. It has everything to do with putting it behind us and treating people like they live in the 21st century. It's certainly a proud day in history that we can put race behind us, but the proudest day in history? That's quite a stretch. If the election of Obama was the proudest day in our history, as the thread title suggests, then all that shows is that race is still at the forefront of our thinking. Even the more racially-sensitive Democrats should be happier for his spending policies and promises to reign-in Corporate America and Wall Street, or even for his health care reform plans, but simply the fact that he is half-black in no way makes this the proudest day in our history. I guess I'll apologize if that offends anybody.

By the way, when I said it was a little racist, the implication was not that anybody was thinking badly of him for the color of his skin, but was more a reflection on the fact that any culture that divides and separates itself along the lines of skin color, and then celebrates their achievements differently, is racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
rac⋅ism   [rey-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement...

Old 02-28-2009, 07:46 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If you've read my posts most realize that I PREFER the democrats but will vote Republican "if"I thought they were better for this country.Now lets just put preferences aside for a minute.When Obama was elected I have to say as a country (no matter how good or bad he does) I took great pride in what we had accomplished.I never thought in my lifetime that i'd ever see a black man as our president.Even though most people are open minded to the best candidate,I thought racism might block this. I was so proud that the majority saw past the color of his skin, and this actually gave me hope that our future can be a bright one.Any thoughts?

On the contrary, I believe he was elected BECAUSE OF his skin color.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
on the contrary, i believe he was elected because of his skin color.
what?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
It has nothing to do with forgetting history. It has everything to do with putting it behind us and treating people like they live in the 21st century. It's certainly a proud day in history that we can put race behind us, but the proudest day in history? That's quite a stretch. If the election of Obama was the proudest day in our history, as the thread title suggests, then all that shows is that race is still at the forefront of our thinking. Even the more racially-sensitive Democrats should be happier for his spending policies and promises to reign-in Corporate America and Wall Street, or even for his health care reform plans, but simply the fact that he is half-black in no way makes this the proudest day in our history. I guess I'll apologize if that offends anybody.

By the way, when I said it was a little racist, the implication was not that anybody was thinking badly of him for the color of his skin, but was more a reflection on the fact that any culture that divides and separates itself along the lines of skin color, and then celebrates their achievements differently, is racist.
The problem is that people like you try to twist everything even a compliment.If I said that there was no racism in our country and for that I am very proud,is that a good statement or not? Obviously it's good and my opinion is; over the years the amount of racial hate and persecution has become less from then to now. I said that i'm proud that the public picked a candidate and racism didn't hold Obama back from attaining the office of the president.
I have to ask,are you black?The way you are coming off is as if you have a chip on your shoulder and no matter how I word it you'll try to twist this into some type of racial persecution! This is a compliment how we have evolved into a country where any man or woman can run for president and get a fair shot as opposed to years ago.I am a jewish guy and we have yet to attain the presidency but if one day we did and the same statement came up,i'd be smart enough to know that this was a compliment and NOT a comment like he made it even though he was black!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
what?

Do you know of a black person that did not vote for obama? I don't. I believe it's something like 85% of black people in America traditionally vote democrat...but in this last election 93% or so voted for obama.

How many stories did you hear about black people registering to vote for the first time simply because it was the first time they had a chance to vote for a black man?

Yes...it's great that our country was able to get to the point in our history that being black didn't keep you out of office...but unfortunately at least in this election, not being black might have put him in office.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Do you know of a black person that did not vote for obama? I don't. I believe it's something like 85% of black people in America traditionally vote democrat...but in this last election 93% or so voted for obama.

How many stories did you hear about black people registering to vote for the first time simply because it was the first time they had a chance to vote for a black man?

Yes...it's great that our country was able to get to the point in our history that being black didn't keep you out of office...but unfortunately at least in this election, not being black might have put him in office.
If you're going to use that argument,then maybe he's just the polar opposite of George W and thats why he got in. He was a well spoken, educated man with a nice vision to help a desperate country out of this freefall.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
If you're going to use that argument,then maybe he's just the polar opposite of George W and thats why he got in. He was a well spoken, educated man with a nice vision to help a desperate country out of this freefall.

I've got a good friend who is an obama maniac. Based on talking to him and others, I seriously doubt that people who voted for him have a clue what he stands for.

I think people voted for the "he's not Bush" guy. Not saying every voter that voted him did because he's black, but I think his race was enough to secure it for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies