Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times

Advertisements

I would like to see whether there is any coherent statement of this point of view to be found on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I would like to see whether there is any coherent statement of this point of view to be found on this board.
Didn't he do it so that there wouldn't be a run on gold and a subsequent draining of the US treasury? I recall that virtually every country in the world had floating currency within five years of Nixon's decision.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:07 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Seems to be more than just a coincidence that in less than 40 years since the inception of worthless paper things masquerading as money for most of the economies to collapse .

Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
It's a common myth promulgated by the propaganda ministry that the "dollar bill" (Federal Reserve Note) was "backed" by gold.

The law says something entirely different.
TITLE 12,UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 3,SUBCHAPTER XII,sec. 411. Issuance to reserve banks; nature of obligation; redemption
" Federal reserve notes, to be issued at the discretion of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for the purpose of making advances to Federal reserve banks through the Federal reserve agents as hereinafter set forth and for no other purpose, are authorized. The said notes shall be OBLIGATIONS of the United States and shall be receivable by all national and member banks and Federal reserve banks and for all taxes, customs, and other public dues. They shall be redeemed in LAWFUL MONEY on demand at the Treasury Department of the United States, in the city of Washington, District of Columbia, or at any Federal Reserve bank."
FRNs are obligations of the U.S. government to pay lawful money on demand.
LAWFUL MONEY - "The terms 'lawful money' and 'lawful money of the United States' shall be construed to mean gold or silver coin of the United States..."
Title 12 United States Code, Sec. 152.
Federal Reserve Notes are issued under the authority of Art 1 Sec 8 power to borrow on the credit of the United States.
Article 1, Section 8. U.S. Constitution.
The Congress shall have Power
...To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;
But the notes were repudiated in House Joint Resolution 192, (June 1933). Congress will no longer guarantee the 'exchange rate' of the dollar (for each FRN). But the law still defines the national debt (in excess of 10 trillion dollars) in terms of gold. That computes to a sum of 500 billion ounces gold. Which is 100 times as much gold as is estimated to exist, above ground, in the world. Fort Knox depository has roughly 147.3 million ounces of gold bullion.

And Congress cannot question the public debt because of the 14th amendment, even when it is insane.

Amendment 14, Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, ..., shall not be questioned.

Since 1933, the U.S.A. has been under a perpetual "temporary" State of Emergency, first declared by FDR, and renewed by each sitting president, partisanship notwithstanding. The cause was bankruptcy to usurers (Federal Reserve Corporation). Since usury is mathematically impossible to pay in a finite money token system, one would hope that Congress would get up on its hind legs and repeal the Federal Reserve Act of 1913, amend / repeal the 14th amendment, and eradicate the public debt based on the fraud. Maybe even the president would end the State of Emergency, too!

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.
The real power behind the president was and is the Secretary of Treasury, who is the paid employee of the World Bank and IMF. No president will ever oppose the wishes of the Bank, because we all know who protects the president - the Secret Service. And what branch do they work for?
The Treasury, whose secretary shall not be paid by the U.S. government, Title 22 USC Sec. 286a.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Honestly, I did not know it was Nixon. But then, I didn't vote for Nixon. Would you believe I voted for McGovern? LOL Boy, did I change! It's called getting a job, buying a home, and finding out what the real world was all about!

All our friends on the beach thought we were nuts, had "gone off the deep end" and joined the "establishment"! LOL

Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Honestly, I did not know it was Nixon. But then, I didn't vote for Nixon. Would you believe I voted for McGovern? LOL Boy, did I change! It's called getting a job, buying a home, and finding out what the real world was all about!

All our friends on the beach thought we were nuts, had "gone off the deep end" and joined the "establishment"! LOL
Wow. McGovern. I remember that. Didn't he carry like one state?

Sigh. The good old days. When DEMOCRATS were irrelevant.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:38 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,309 times
The short answer to the posted question.

Foreign central banks and leaders like France's Charles de Gaulle were trying to redeem their dollars for gold.
Since the fed had printed so many dollars, it would have been a considerable amount of gold to pay out. I'm not sure if it was more than we had, but it was more than the U.S. was willing to pay out, so Nixon closed the gold window.

A better detailed answer can be found here.
The Anniversary of a Crime

The result; it was a stupid move only rivaled by FDR's demonetization of gold and his illegal confiscation of private property gold in the hands of citizens.
April 5, 1933, the day of infamy and the day FDR should have been dumped in the Boston Harbor, concrete feet and all.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
I'am not clear what this has to do with Nixon.

YouTube - FDR Ends Gold Standard in 1933

Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
The short answer to the posted question.

Foreign central banks and leaders like France's Charles de Gaulle were trying to redeem their dollars for gold.
Since the fed had printed so many dollars, it would have been a considerable amount of gold to pay out. I'm not sure if it was more than we had, but it was more than the U.S. was willing to pay out, so Nixon closed the gold window.
Right. Like I said.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
To hide his interference in the "free market". Like all conservative politicians what they do and what they say are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies