Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times

Advertisements

You would think that oversight over home loans would be a bit tighter after the publicized problems of the past few years. But that doesn't seem to be the case:

In the past year alone, the number of borrowers who failed to make more than a single payment before defaulting on FHA-backed mortgages has nearly tripled, far outpacing the agency's overall growth in new loans, according to a Washington Post analysis of federal data.

Many industry experts attribute the jump in these instant defaults to factors that include the weak economy, lax scrutiny of prospective borrowers and most notably, foul play among unscrupulous lenders looking to make a quick buck.

If a loan "is going into default immediately, it clearly suggests impropriety and fraudulent activity,"

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 06:30 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,510 times
That's why it would be foolish to buy property at this time if you are looking to buy in bubbleland. What goes up, must come down. What's tragic is that the Admin and Congress are driving the economy into the ground trying to keep the bubble propped up.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
What is the minimum requirement now proposed in "The New Plan", 31% of income only to make the payment or qualify for refinance? That will break the system

The whole thing is stupid. Let them ALL fail. Take the hit, regroup and start over. Just like GM should file bankruptcy

Yes, there will be chaos and mass employment, but if your never allowed to fail you'll never learn.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
That's why it would be foolish to buy property at this time if you are looking to buy in bubbleland. What goes up, must come down. What's tragic is that the Admin and Congress are driving the economy into the ground trying to keep the bubble propped up.
Bubbleland, where might that be?

Propping the bubble? How so?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You would think that oversight over home loans would be a bit tighter after the publicized problems of the past few years. But that doesn't seem to be the case:

In the past year alone, the number of borrowers who failed to make more than a single payment before defaulting on FHA-backed mortgages has nearly tripled, far outpacing the agency's overall growth in new loans, according to a Washington Post analysis of federal data.

Many industry experts attribute the jump in these instant defaults to factors that include the weak economy, lax scrutiny of prospective borrowers and most notably, foul play among unscrupulous lenders looking to make a quick buck.

If a loan "is going into default immediately, it clearly suggests impropriety and fraudulent activity,"

washingtonpost.com
MSNBC recently aired a documentary called, House of Cards that discussed a variety of reasons for the housing crisis. The one thing that stuck out in my mind was for the longest time, most all lenders required extensive back ground verification, income verification, job history, credit rating, down payment, etc... and even then the loan could take up to 2-3 months to get processed.

Then the midnight mortgage broker showed up who was willing to take a bit more risk with not quite so credit worthy people. As all these mortgage were being complied into packages with sound loans, they recieved a AAA rating and Wall Street turned around and sold the heck out of them. Then things started going even further down hill as Wall Streets appetite for these mortgage back securities was immense and shady lenders were more than happy to try and fill the demand.

It seemed to be almost a conspiracy between Wall Street, ratings agencies, and shady lenders writing garbage. The conspiracy of shared greed.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,473 times
This is slightly off topic, but I read somewhere (not sure where) that ~40% of homes are owned free and clear. I have heard repeatedly here of late that 92% of mortgage holders are paying as scheduled. That means that only 8% of 60% of home owners are in trouble. Not trying to minimize the pain of those who are suffering, but I wonder why when so many have acted responsibly the taxpayer needs to bail them out. Just looking for someone's response to this, Also as seen on CNN this afternoon the foreclosure problem is concentrated in S FL, CA, NV, & Ariz., so those of us in fly over country will have to pay the bill.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:13 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

washingtonpost.com

Banks & Lenders are still greedy. What's new?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM

I've owned my homes free and clear for over 12 years now. It totally peeves me that I have to help bail the over extended out.
PS- I'm under 38

Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
...the agency's efforts at pursuing abusive lenders have been hamstrung. Once, about 130 HUD investigators teamed with FBI agents in an FHA fraud unit, but this office was dismantled in 2003 after the FHA's business dwindled in the housing boom.

At the same time, the FHA office responsible for approving and policing new lenders has not expanded even as the number of active lenders doing business with the FHA more than doubled to 2,300 in the past two years.

Although the FHA insures mortgages issued by lenders, it leaves these companies to conduct their own business. If a lender writes a lot of bad loans, that's when the agency can eject it from the program. Experts in housing finance warn, however, that the FHA has inadequate staffing and technology to keep up.
OK Obama, I really really really want to help my country. My house is paid for free and clear, no special interest or lenders involved. I'll volunteer to review each and every one of these lenders FREE OF CHARGE right NOW while congress and senate figure out the language of regulation that appeases obstructionists.

Anyone of the 'ask not what your country can do for you' generation care to volunteer with me?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 PM

I don't belong to that generation, but sure why not,after running my own business. I might need some training, but sure, I'd be more than happy to help out.

I think it's pretty evident 80% should be lending and 30% shouldn't be borrowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies