Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seems like a lot of people are claiming to be Fiscal Conservatives but I haven't heard anything about fiscal conservatism over the last 8 years so when did this fad begin?
You're right, so it does seem a little funny to hear the Republicans now talking about spending. However, that does not mean the idea isn't a good one; it just means that both sides are full of it on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Fiscal conservatives have always been around. They just followed the Neocon crowd so the Republicans wouldn't be divided and make it easier for Democrats to win. Ron Paul is a good example.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Ron Paul, Ron Paul, I seem to remember something about him, oh yeah;

"Paul played a role in obtaining 22 earmarks worth $96.1 million, which led the Houston congressional delegation, according to a Houston Chronicle analysis of more than 8,500 congressionally mandated projects inserted into the bill. His earmarks included repair projects to the Galveston Seawall damaged by Hurricane Ike and the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway."

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan (March 01, 2009) - Ron Paul's Earmarks

Old 03-03-2009, 09:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Seems like a lot of people are claiming to be Fiscal Conservatives but I haven't heard anything about fiscal conservatism over the last 8 years so when did this fad begin?
Bush and his administration were not fiscal conservatives as evidenced by their behavior during those last eight years.

BTW, fiscal conservatism is or never was a fad.

Fiscal conservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Ron Paul, Ron Paul, I seem to remember something about him, oh yeah;

"Paul played a role in obtaining 22 earmarks worth $96.1 million, which led the Houston congressional delegation, according to a Houston Chronicle analysis of more than 8,500 congressionally mandated projects inserted into the bill. His earmarks included repair projects to the Galveston Seawall damaged by Hurricane Ike and the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway."

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan (March 01, 2009) - Ron Paul's Earmarks

Republicans are just as guilty of earmarks as the Democrats. I'll never deny that.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Of course it couldn't be that the public desires greater government goods and services, heaven forbid that they should look around an take note of their dilapidated schools and highways or notice that no other sector of the country is stepping up to the plate to resolve long standing problems. No that couldn't be the reason.
There is never a shortage of dumbass sheep, baa-ing to be taken care of.

That's what makes this country great for people like Nancy Pelosi.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Bush and his administration were not fiscal conservatives as evidenced by their behavior during those last eight years.

BTW, fiscal conservatism is or never was a fad.

Fiscal conservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again, while Bush was being his Fiscal Non-Conservative self, why isn't that we never heard from the Fiscal-Conservative Conservatives until Bush's numbers were in the tank and all the Fiscal-Conservative conservatives where running for cover, only to now rise like the Phoenix (Arizona? did I miss an opportunity for a pun?) to proclaim just how great Fiscal Conservatism is now that it is too late?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Republicans are just as guilty of earmarks as the Democrats. I'll never deny that.
But here's the rub, As a realpolitic Democrat, I'm not necessarily opposed to earmarks, per se, but I find it mildly hysterical that those who carp the loudest against them always seem to find their way to the front of the line.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Again, while Bush was being his Fiscal Non-Conservative self, why isn't that we never heard from the Fiscal-Conservative Conservatives until Bush's numbers were in the tank and all the Fiscal-Conservative conservatives where running for cover, only to now rise like the Phoenix (Arizona? did I miss an opportunity for a pun?) to proclaim just how great Fiscal Conservatism is now that it is too late?
If you'll read my posts in the last nearly three years since I've been on this forum, you'll see that I railed against Bush and his non-fiscal attitude way back.

You mistake me for a lock-step Republican, for which I am definitely not ovcatto.

And it's not too late for fiscal conservatism; not at all. We need it now more than ever. That doesn't mean we have to be socially conservative, just fiscally conservative.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Yep, they're faking it now. We've seen exactly what they do when they're in power, every time they are in power they blow up the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies