Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 AM

370 posts, read 440,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekTruth View Post
Making good money is easier than you think.

How do you do it?

1) Find out what jobs pay the salary that you'd like.
2) Then get trained for that job.
3) Then do a good job of selling yourself in your resume and job interview.
4) Work hard once you get the job.
5) Make sure the boss knows your accomplishments.

And there you have it - a good income or you're on the fast-track to getting paid the salary you want.

There's no mystery to it.

I know this because I coach people on this in my career!

Hard work and loyality is no longer synonymous with making good money. These days its all about maximizing shareholder value and cutting cost.

Corporate mentality these days is youre lucky to have a job because there is someone overseas who will do it much cheaper(except CEO's of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
"the divine right of kings" by abraham lincoln. why should you care about the economy or wish to share anything. somewhere somehow along the road john wayne became marie antoinette.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a little jealous of those people that have more than I could even dream of. However, I don't see any wisdom in discouraging people that drive investment, hiring, and company expansion into not choosing to attempt to grow their wealth in the USA because the administration in power wants to tax the h--- out of them. I'm afraid that these major players being targeted by this administration will now choose to invest their wealth in other nations and their workforces.
Agree.
But it's not just the major players. Pile on taxes which take away profit incentives for the small/mid-size companies and they will close up shop. Why bother working long hours, taking risks, and enduring the hassles just to hand the profits to the govt to redistribute or blow as they see fit? You are 50/60, have spent years building your business -- cash out and go home and play.

Don't think anyone has a problem helping to support the country, helping out a fellow man down on his luck, etc. but why continue to bust your rump to see a large chunk of your money handed to people who won't work, who have made bad decisions and don't take responsibilty so they turn to the govt for a handout, and the list goes on and on.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
The next questions is logical: who owns these companies? Well, we do. Americans have poured trillions into the market since the advent of the 401(k). .
Excellent point. So many Americans want heavy taxes imposed on the big companies but they forget they actually own stock in those same companies via their 401Ks etc.

However, I do think some of the perks/bonuses/Golden Parachuts/etc. given to CEO's are pretty out of hand, especially if they are given when the company is going through a rough time.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 AM

194 posts, read 329,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
Hard work and loyality is no longer synonymous with making good money. These days its all about maximizing shareholder value and cutting cost.

Corporate mentality these days is youre lucky to have a job because there is someone overseas who will do it much cheaper(except CEO's of course).
Then chose a job that makes the money you want, then work for that job. People with your attitude will always be on this forum complaining.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
If you truly believe that the wealthy should be penalized for being so (whether it's truly earned, as most, or handed to them), what happens next? When the government takes all benefit away from working hard to become successful, what happens next?

I'm very serious. Do you want to see every single person as equal? Do you want nobody to have any ambition to become a better doctor, or business owner, etc.? Should the government just assign us all jobs and pay us all the same wage?

You can't have it both ways. Either you're for free enterprise and people working to become successful, or you're not.

I want to understand your point of view. Will having a "brave new world" society benefit us?

I can't fathom how this helps us.

Take politics out of it and tell me how taxing the hell out of the successful and spending trillions on programs that don't make money or create jobs will get us out of a recession.

Please, tell me how this works!
"By allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire, the marginal income tax on the highest earners goes back to 39.6 percent (from 35 percent, now), and capital gains rates to 20 percent (from 15, now).
"The incomes of the top 1 percent have soared for thirty years while median wages have slowed or declined in real terms. As economists Thomas Piketty and Emanuel Saez have shown, in the 1970s the top-earning 1 percent of Americans took home 8 percent of total income; as recently as 1980 they took home 9 percent. After that, total income became more and more concentrated at the top. By 2007, the top 1 percent took home over 22 percent. Meanwhile, even as their incomes dramatically increased, the total federal tax rates paid by the top 1 percent dropped. According to the Congressional Budget Office, the top 1 percent paid a total federal tax rate of 37 percent three decades ago; now it's paying 31 percent." - robert reich's blog

Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
I don't think taxes are a theft. I favor a flat tax, but can live with a progressive system providing that everybody pays in at least something.

The current system is like showing up at the bar, having a few beers, announcing to your buddy that since he has a better job he should pay, ordering a six pack to go, leaving him to pick up the tab, and then grumbling that he should have bought you a bag of chips also.
A couple of questions for you, please
How do you expect the severely dissabled (mentally and physically dissabled) adult to "pay for" even a very small portion of the services necessary to keep him alive, much less pay "taxes"?

The same question can be asked about those with debilitating psycological problems, unless, of course they can be successfully treated (a very expensive proposition in most case), the elderly, who most likely worked hard all of their lives in order to support themselves and their families, AND pay taxes, and now find themselves in situations of deperate poverty and no real alternative but to rely on social security for all of their needs (and beleive me, there are many many people who fall into this category, whose childern cannot contribute substansially to their support, and who are dying of want), the person who through illness or injury is long term dissabled (again, most likely requiring extensive and expensive medical treatment just to stay alive), and whose ability to work is severely limited, at the least, and who, if they manage to find employment at a level that they can handle, are forced to "give up" necessary medical treatment, because they are now a "wage earner" who does not qualify for assistance. There are many such scenarios. A Society can be judged by the way it treats it's most vulnerable citizens. I'm suspect that our society would rank very very poorly, by those standards!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
A couple of questions for you, please
How do you expect the severely dissabled (mentally and physically dissabled) adult to "pay for" even a very small portion of the services necessary to keep him alive, much less pay "taxes"?

The same question can be asked about those with debilitating psycological problems, unless, of course they can be successfully treated (a very expensive proposition in most case), the elderly, who most likely worked hard all of their lives in order to support themselves and their families, AND pay taxes, and now find themselves in situations of deperate poverty and no real alternative but to rely on social security for all of their needs (and beleive me, there are many many people who fall into this category, whose childern cannot contribute substansially to their support, and who are dying of want), the person who through illness or injury is long term dissabled (again, most likely requiring extensive and expensive medical treatment just to stay alive), and whose ability to work is severely limited, at the least, and who, if they manage to find employment at a level that they can handle, are forced to "give up" necessary medical treatment, because they are now a "wage earner" who does not qualify for assistance. There are many such scenarios. A Society can be judged by the way it treats it's most vulnerable citizens. I'm suspect that our society would rank very very poorly, by those standards!

Clearly those with real medical conditions, whether physical or mental, are in a separate category. Just because I am a Republican does not mean I am without compassion.

By the way, do you know how many millions of Americans are on SSI? Its staggering.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Clearly those with real medical conditions, whether physical or mental, are in a separate category. Just because I am a Republican does not mean I am without compassion.

By the way, do you know how many millions of Americans are on SSI? Its staggering.
You are right..it IS staggering in my area for sure....I'm not sure what changes have been made to it the last few years, but used to they let folks on it because of alcohol and drug addiction,poor performance in school that was judged to be a disability,but then they can go 4wheeler riding every day of the week,hunting and fishing constantly and sell firewood(I know a local that does that is the reason I mention it).You are right,it IS abused horribly and makes it bad on the folks who really need it.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think anyone should be "penalized," as you put it. What I'm opposed to is bending over backwards to give tax breaks to the rich. With great wealth should come some of the civic responsibility that they blatantly try to avoid.
Implied in your statement is the Poor/Middle class have no civic responsiblity. Is that how you feel?

Envy and Fear are the nuclear fuel rods that drive American politics no matter what you believe/who you are. As long as I'm free to live my life as I see fit, I couldn't care less who has what. One thing I can't stand is how we've fetishized poverty/struggle as "righteousness". True, giving up material wealth is a central tenant of many religons, but that also implies that you don't take wealth from others....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies