Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you support, regardless of electability potential?
The Democratic Party 19 24.68%
The Republican Party 16 20.78%
The Libertarian Party 30 38.96%
The Constitution Party 6 7.79%
The Green Party 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,694,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In the Libertsrian Universe who takes out the garbage? who rund the water treatment plant? who keps the factory from dumping cyanide into the water supply? Who keeps businesses from manipulating markets into monopolies?

WHO KEEPS PEOPLE FROM HARM AND TAKES REVENGE WHEN THEY ARE HARMED? WHO?

Libertarian is broad-spectrum, does not mean everything they hold is dear to me...however, a healthy application mixed in with a truly Centrist candidate might do the trick.

Limited government, not no government. Varies by person, how much or little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times
Quote:
In the Libertsrian Universe who takes out the garbage? who rund the water treatment plant? who keps the factory from dumping cyanide into the water supply? Who keeps businesses from manipulating markets into monopolies?

Are you saying the government has historically done a good job of this? Please...

In the liberal universe who keeps government from becoming a bloated, inefficient conglomerate of waste? In the liberal universe who keeps government from CREATING monopolies using taxpayer money? If there was a company that everyone paid 10% of their paycheck to every month for a retirement plan, and that was the ONLY option if you wanted to work, that would absolutely be a monopoly, right? How is it that we allow social security to continue? THAT is a GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED MONOPOLY and yet liberals like you turn a blind eye to it because it is easier to let the government control your insurance and retirement than to make smart investments in your future!

If a factory dumps cyanide into the water supply it goes out of business and the people running the factory go to prison (there are still laws, still jail and still a legal system!)

The government is not your mother! If someone picks on you at school you can't go crying to mommy to go fight your battles for you! If something is wrong in your life then fix it yourself. Stop running from your problems and take responsibility for the circumstances of your own life. I see modern democrats as the spoiled teenage son who wants to travel the world on daddy's dime. I can't tell you how annoying it is to listen to them.

And to respond to the poll: Eight years ago I voted Constitution party, a few months ago I voted Libertarian

Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,860,078 times
Libertarian. The Republicans are no longer conservative and have moved too far left for my taste.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM

8,029 posts, read 12,217,664 times
I switched from Republican to Libertarian several years ago because being a "conservative" these days seems to mean favoring more intrusive gov't in people's personal lives (such as abortion, marriage, etc.). Also, the Bush administration and the Republican controlled Congress allowed frivolous spending to the point where we now have an out of control debt & massive deficit. Today's GOP is not truly conservative. They seem to have their own made up definition of the term "conservative", which is completely opposite of what it used to mean. Barry Goldwater, Milton Friedman, and William F. Buckley were true conservatives ... but they would be outcasts in today's Republican party. The Libertarians would embrace those old school conservatives with open arms!

As a rule, the Libertarian party doesn't call for an end to all forms of government ... they simply want LESS of it in our lives. Granted, they generally favor eliminating ridiculous restrictions on people's freedoms, and cutting out programs run by the Federal Government because they feel that the same programs would better managed on a local/state level.

As far as I'm concerned, the Libertarian party is the only political party nowadays that is truly serious about cutting the pork, and wiping away the needless spending. If we would elect more Libertarians, the vast majority of special interest pork barrel projects would be scrapped. That way, the U.S. would actually have a huge budget SURPLUS, and we could administer sweeping tax cuts across the board for everyone! We wouldn't need a "stimulus package" because cutting the tax burden for everybody would be a stimulus of its own ... except it would actually WORK!

Last edited by Valley Native; 03-03-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,411,134 times
I support the Republican Party!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,557,439 times
Edit: already answered.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
The fiscally conservative/socially liberal party.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Libertarian Party.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,300,611 times
Quote:

The States.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,587,025 times
Ok my 2 faced friends. So far Libertarian is winning by a mile. So why did none of you vote in the real election that way.

Funny thing. When we had so many of these polls right here before the real election, Ron Paul won all....not some, not a few...he won every poll we did here. yet he got little real support when it counted.

I dont get it. Is every one here lying???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies