Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gr..._Vote_1999.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Isn't it strange we get mad at private sector monopolies and turned around and allowed our government to create one of the biggest. On top of that government couldn't figure out if it should be free market or totally government ran. You see what we get today because of the bureaucratic normalcy.
It's also strange that left-wingers mock those who choose to believe creationism over evolution (doesn't apply to me, btw, I'm an evolutionist), but then vehemently eschew social darwinism and free market competition in favor of a government 'creator' of artificially forced egalitarianism and a centrally controlled economy.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Here's Bill Clinton's view on this:
Quote:
Phil Gramm, who was then the head of the Senate Banking Committee and until recently a close economic adviser of Senator McCain, was a fierce proponent of banking deregulation. Did he sell you a bill of goods?

Not on this bill I don't think he did. You know, Phil Gramm and I disagreed on a lot of things, but he can't possibly be wrong about everything. On the Glass-Steagall thing, like I said, if you could demonstrate to me that it was a mistake, I'd be glad to look at the evidence. But I can't blame [the Republicans]. This wasn't something they forced me into...

Bill Clinton on the Banking Crisis, McCain, and Hillary

Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Yeah they look forced.

90-8 & 362-57

Old 09-19-2009, 04:43 PM

16 posts, read 23,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
If you want to play the blame game remember that it passed Congress with a veto proof majority and Clinton was powerless. Get your facts straight, and stop leaving out half of the story.
Clinton lobbied hard for the repeal of the Glass/Steagall act due to presure from Citi Bank and Travelers insurance.
Clinton lobbied well and was not going to sign the bill unless he got the Housing Revitalization act along with it.
Clinton was a huge part of all this mess.

Please read.
Bill Clinton, Glass-Steagall and the Current Financial and Mortgage Crisis, Part Two of an InDepth Investigative Report | The Strange Death of Liberal America

Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Yep! Repeal Graham Leach Bliley!!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Sorry, but I believe Obama would be completely opposed to this measure... why? Because it allowed companies make risky loans to poor people... take it away and no more loans to poor people... Obama won't do that...

Old 09-19-2009, 05:12 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Yup, bring it back. Repealing it was a major mistake of the Clinton presidency. Of course, like taking the rev limiter of an engine, it won't necessarily destroy anything, as long as the operator doesn't do anything stupid or reckless. Turned out the operators of the US economical machinery were both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's also strange that left-wingers mock those who choose to believe creationism over evolution (doesn't apply to me, btw, I'm an evolutionist), but then vehemently eschew social darwinism and free market competition in favor of a government 'creator' of artificially forced egalitarianism and a centrally controlled economy.
What? ToE is a description of one specific phenomenon found in nature - it is not a political ethos. You may as well complain that people who describe the effect of cyanide on living beings take offense at being asked to gulp down cyanide themselves.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:14 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Sorry, but I believe Obama would be completely opposed to this measure... why? Because it allowed companies make risky loans to poor people... take it away and no more loans to poor people... Obama won't do that...
The people who made out like gangbusters after the repeal of G-S were anything but poor.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The people who made out like gangbusters after the repeal of G-S were anything but poor.
Wasn't talking about the banking industry... talking about who they made the loans to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies