Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,295 times

Advertisements

There have been many posts on this site blaming Obama for the stock market, the economy, government spending, but i have yet to see any mention of how we got into this mess.

Considering Obama has only been in office a little over a month, it appears that many are looking for the President to fail... so lets say he did nothing, lets say the stimulus package didn't pass, but instead went with the Republicans wish of lowering taxes. How would that help the economy?
Credit is in the toilet, why? Previous administration failed policies. Again, assume the President did nothing, no stimulas to jumpstart credit again, how would that help the economy?

So, How did we get here? It didn't occur as of January 20th, so how did we get here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
You will find that you are shouting into an empty cave.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You will find that you are shouting into an empty cave.

boy do i know it. I've posted this question to every post blaming the President for the stock market and the economy and I get nothing, but another post i have to pose the same question too.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Eliminate all income tax for a certain amount of years so people can be confident and by products.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Eliminate all income tax for a certain amount of years so people can be confident and by products.

I would love for taxes to be elminated, one could only dream. So if that happens, how will the government pay their creditors?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
I would love for taxes to be elminated, one could only dream. So if that happens, how will the government pay their creditors?
Simple. The more people buying goods, the more money that is going to the government and so on. But hey, that is just one in many ways that can help the economy.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
There have been many posts on this site blaming Obama for the stock market, the economy, government spending, but i have yet to see any mention of how we got into this mess.

Considering Obama has only been in office a little over a month, it appears that many are looking for the President to fail... so lets say he did nothing, lets say the stimulus package didn't pass, but instead went with the Republicans wish of lowering taxes. How would that help the economy?
Credit is in the toilet, why? Previous administration failed policies. Again, assume the President did nothing, no stimulas to jumpstart credit again, how would that help the economy?

So, How did we get here? It didn't occur as of January 20th, so how did we get here?
Proudmama, you're a sweetheart. you're probably the first person here on city-data that questions how and why, while others are diggin' in the dirt and slandering a new president and a democratic congress. I commend your integrity for wondering why we are, where we are.
here's part of my solution:
1. bring manufacturing jobs back to american workers. let's learn again how to be self sufficient. we can do the same work the chinese is doing for us now. we're not too proud to work. we americans have always had a good work ethic. we have proved we are a workforce to be reckoned with. we need our legislators to compel corporations to quit sending our manufacturing jobs overseas. we americans would be more than happy to pay more for the things we buy. I'd gladly pay 25 ot 50 bucks more for a television made in the USA.
2. stop sending american dollars overseas to help other nations rebuild. the wars created in the past few years have been nothing but dollar drainers for our fiscal responsibility. we need to stop making unnecessary conflits and wars which do not benefit US.
3. the creation of alternate energy sources. let's wean ourselves from foreign oil.
these are just a few of my ideas. I'm sure many people out here have ideas too, of how to turn things around to our favor. it seems we're paying through the nose for everything these days, either in $$$$ or american lives lost.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
1. Obama should recognize that the US cannot afford every policy the Democrats have proposed. Think Health Care.

2. Obama should recognize that business is the lifeblood of the economy, and that by enacting, or proposing to enact policies viewed by industry as "anti-business" is particulary unwise during a time like this. Think "cap and trade", increased payroll tax cap.

3. Obama should recognize that asking most Americans to sacrifice while at the same time proposing the largest deficit in the history of the modern era is hypocritical.

4. Obama should remember Army Basic Training 101: "Men, when you find yourselves in a whole, the best thing to do is quit digging."

5. If he is going to proceed with his agenda (such as healthcare) then he should promise to reduce spending in other areas to pay for it.

6. Obama should eliminate refundable income tax credits. While I think everybody should at least pay something, I guess I could tolerate it if we at least quit paying people for doing nothing. I'd be happy with a zero tax liability at this point as opposed to a negative tax liability.

7. Obama should temporarily raise the payroll tax on the employee by ~5% (not the employer portion, though), and leave the cap alone.

8. Obama should revisit NAFTA. The agreement is one-sided.

9. Obama should promise to review the 14th amendment. The largest draw for illegal immigrants is the promise of citizenship at birth regardless of the parents status. At a minimum, a mother should at least be a legal alien before her child is granted citizenship.

10. Obama could ask the Supreme Court to review the constitutionality of having to educate millions of illegal alien children at a cost of billions each year.

All of these actions would provide confidence to the investors and citizens that the govt. cares about the fiscal responsibility of the nation.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM

194 posts, read 329,780 times
I think that some one brought up the Fair Tax Act in a previous thread. Which is a start.
Secondly, let the bad companies go....they are going to die off anyways. Now we are just letting the wound fester. If by some miracle they survive, chances are they will be problematic again in the future anyways.
Thirdly, make people accountable. Why bailout the home flippers? those subprimers? and other people who knew they were in over their head but bought homes anyways out of greed?

We'd all suffer for a while, but we'd all learn a hard lesson.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Proudmama, you're a sweetheart. you're probably the first person here on city-data that questions how and why, while others are diggin' in the dirt and slandering a new president and a democratic congress. I commend your integrity for wondering why we are, where we are.
here's part of my solution:
1. bring manufacturing jobs back to american workers. let's learn again how to be self sufficient. we can do the same work the chinese is doing for us now. we're not too proud to work. we americans have always had a good work ethic. we have proved we are a workforce to be reckoned with. we need our legislators to compel corporations to quit sending our manufacturing jobs overseas. we americans would be more than happy to pay more for the things we buy. I'd gladly pay 25 ot 50 bucks more for a television made in the USA.
2. stop sending american dollars overseas to help other nations rebuild. the wars created in the past few years have been nothing but dollar drainers for our fiscal responsibility. we need to stop making unnecessary conflits and wars which do not benefit US.
3. the creation of alternate energy sources. let's wean ourselves from foreign oil.
these are just a few of my ideas. I'm sure many people out here have ideas too, of how to turn things around to our favor. it seems we're paying through the nose for everything these days, either in $$$$ or american lives lost.

I like everyone are frustrated. I voted for Obama, and i guess i'm considered upper middle class. None of the items in that package will benefit me at all due to the income caps. I believe he is trying to do too much too soon, but then again, he has too, the republicans aren't trying to reach across the aisle with any workable idea's.

I believe we could move forward if all of the prejudices are taken out of the equation. I do want to know how we got here so we know how to prevent it in the future.

I agree with your suggestions, but the outsourcing of jobs overseas is not only impacting the manufacturing area but also corporte. IT, Networking, Data Entry and now Project Management jobs are moving over to India because the government made it too easy on them. If the President directed the Labor department to go back and audit these companies and slap them with a hefty tax liability, we would either see a decrease in the deficit or increase in jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies