Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times

Advertisements

I guess w/Bush not around anymore, they need someone to demonize.

Limbaugh to star in DNC roadside ad - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- National Democrats plan to unveil a new theme Thursday in their ongoing campaign to portray conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh as the true leader of the Republican Party.
The slogan, "Americans didn't vote for a Rush to failure," will be splashed across a billboard in Limbaugh's hometown of West Palm Beach, Florida, and printed on T-shirts, a Democratic National Committee official told CNN.
Limbaugh has said several times that he hopes President Barack Obama fails, a sentiment that has put elected Republicans in a tight spot during the nation's economic crisis.
The official said more than 80,000 slogans were submitted as part of a contest on the DNC's Web site, and more than 50,000 people helped narrow the list to the top five.
The timing of when the billboard will be set up has not been finalized, according to the DNC official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,455 times
detshen originally said:

Experimenting is trying different things for a purpose, in the case of drugs it's to feel better than normal, or to experience different states of mind. It's much different than becoming addicted and using drugs as a way of life. The vast majority of people who perform these experiments as young people find the results do not work with an adult life and cease using drugs as the President did. [End Quote]

File under agree to a degree.

I think the vast majority of our youth do drugs because at that point in their lives it's still all about having fun. Impetuous youth? Most aren't that calculated about it. I know there are exceptions (those who get way into hallucinogens perhaps) but most are drinking, smoking, taking E or Vicodin and just being fabulous and young. Party on Wayne! Party on Garth! Perhaps it is the subconscious mind telling them that soon the realities of life are coming that won't allow this kind of behavior. Gone will be the days of heavy drinking and sleeping all day. Gone will be the super active lifestyle where all excessive calories are burned off because you've got to ride your bike everywhere. Gone will be the carefree days! Look out kids. Adulthood looms and with it certain responsibilities.

Most accept the reality and move on mostly out of necessity. Some out of morality. A relative small few never grow out of it and become casualties.

Someone earlier said Obama broke the law just like T. Kennedy. As if a few (?) snorts equates to murder or manslaughter. If one jaywalks, are they no better than a murderer? Ridiculous!

We should hold these politicians to a higher standard, to match their higher level of responsibility, but they are not saints. Let's be realistic.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
So, whose high school student council election did the Donk's steal that from?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times
Mr Floyd, I enjoy reading your posts, although I dont agree with everything. Much like listening to Rush, it intertains me. I dont have to agree with anyone to like listening to them express their ideas.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Oh you poor whiney baby!....like the GOP's whole strategy isn't to demonize?....LOL You just can't take a little of your own medicine.

I've got new for you ....most people don't like Limbaugh...he's disgusting..and he's one of your own.

And I like their strategy just fine....The Dems arrroval ratings just keep going up and the GOP's approval ratings keep going down.

If Dems keep up the good work we will have a 5 or 6 less GOP Senators and your party will become totally irrelevant.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times
Liberals can be very hypocritical. They always talk about Republicans and Conservatives being narrow minded but they can be just as narrow minded and intolerant when you try to present a point to them to that does go along with their twisted belief. I remember taking a college course here in MN about community organizing and I was one of the few people who leaned more towards the Right, talk about a brainwashed group of Liberals! They say diversity every other word like little puppets and anything that does not go along with their belief is "hateful, offensive and inappropriate"

Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
detshen originally said:

Experimenting is trying different things for a purpose, in the case of drugs it's to feel better than normal, or to experience different states of mind. It's much different than becoming addicted and using drugs as a way of life. The vast majority of people who perform these experiments as young people find the results do not work with an adult life and cease using drugs as the President did. [End Quote]

File under agree to a degree.

I think the vast majority of our youth do drugs because at that point in their lives it's still all about having fun. Impetuous youth? Most aren't that calculated about it. I know there are exceptions (those who get way into hallucinogens perhaps) but most are drinking, smoking, taking E or Vicodin and just being fabulous and young. Party on Wayne! Party on Garth! Perhaps it is the subconscious mind telling them that soon the realities of life are coming that won't allow this kind of behavior. Gone will be the days of heavy drinking and sleeping all day. Gone will be the super active lifestyle where all excessive calories are burned off because you've got to ride your bike everywhere. Gone will be the carefree days! Look out kids. Adulthood looms and with it certain responsibilities.

Most accept the reality and move on mostly out of necessity. Some out of morality. A relative small few never grow out of it and become casualties.

Someone earlier said Obama broke the law just like T. Kennedy. As if a few (?) snorts equates to murder or manslaughter. If one jaywalks, are they no better than a murderer? Ridiculous!

We should hold these politicians to a higher standard, to match their higher level of responsibility, but they are not saints. Let's be realistic.
I don't really think we disagree, to feel better than normal is just a way of saying to have fun, and to feel good. I'm not saying they were necessarily calculated about it, but the word experiment means to try something, it doesn't have to be scientific. Experiment is used to distinguish when young people try drugs to feel better, have fun, or see what it feels like from true drug addicts who lose control over their lives.

Not everyone who tries drugs has to stay away from alcohol for the rest of their lives, that's just silly.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
What kinds of things does Limbaugh say in broadcasts? He spends his days looking for ways to slam Democrats, to put down liberals. And then Rush fans say why can't those Democrats be more tolerant? Why do they hate Rush so? You put hate out there, you get hate back.

Certainly Democrats can be as narrow-minded and intolerant as anyone. Republicans don't have the patent on bad behavior. But what purpose does all the finger-pointing and bad-mouthing serve? It may be that what our society really needs is a good dose of shame.

I'd like the executives who took big bonuses when their companies were failing to feel ashamed. I'd like the people who bought more house than they could afford, knowing that it was too good to be true, to feel ashamed. I'd like Karl Rove who masterminded the 2000 attacks on McCain to feel ashamed. I'd like OJ Simpson to show some remorse. I'd like the people who post on C-D with racist comments, and hateful comments to read what they've put out there and feel shame. I'd like people to hold themselves to higher standards, rather than hold other people to those high standards. Then maybe the labels and generalizations that we are all guilty of using won't be so prevalent.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
You know for a party so interested in freedom and I use that word "freedom" loosely they sure have a hard time with the first part of the constitution.
Just let the man have his show and stop worrying about Rush, maybe you idoits should figure out who your going to bailout next and or what group you will tax next.
You know do something your good at.
:-)

Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
I hate Limbaugh, but I hate all pundits. Anyone who takes stories out of context, tries to put an issue that needs hours to discuss into a 2 minute blurb, bullies all their guests that don't agree with them, and can't let another person finish a sentance should be fined for some sort of low grade treason. All they are doing is dividing America further in order to "entertain". It may be entertainment, but its destructive to your country. I'm fine for debate, but fair and honest debate, not interrupt and bully all guests that don't agree with you.

Pundits all act like they're infallible on their shows. I've only heard of one infallible being, and its not any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies